collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunting is down in the US. The Trump administration wants to change that  (Read 4900 times)

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
Re: Hunting is down in the US. The Trump administration wants to change that
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2017, 11:20:50 AM »
Some monuments are closed to hunting, I think this will be a big step for large areas shut down in Alaska.
The only monuments closed to hunting are those under the National Park Service. Monuments managed by BLM, USFS, or USFWS are open to hunting. A large majority of NPS monuments are small, historical, and even urban. Compared to those managed by the other agencies which are what most public lands consist of (nature, rural, etc.)

So are you opposed to opening areas that are closed to hunting or do you just dislike the Trump administration? Just trying to understand what appears to be opposition to opening the lands that are closed? :dunno:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2017, 11:24:03 AM »
Some monuments are closed to hunting, I think this will be a big step for large areas shut down in Alaska.
The only monuments closed to hunting are those under the National Park Service. Monuments managed by BLM, USFS, or USFWS are open to hunting. A large majority of NPS monuments are small, historical, and even urban. Compared to those managed by the other agencies which are what most public lands consist of (nature, rural, etc.)
So are you opposed to opening areas that are closed to hunting or do you just dislike the Trump administration? Just trying to understand what appears to be opposition to opening the lands that are closed? :dunno:
I voted for Trump. I just don't drink the Zinke cool-aid over everything he says. How is he going to open lands to hunting that are already open to hunting? I'm sure some areas will see changes, but even in the Obama years about 15 wildlife refuges a year added new hunting or fishing opportunities. In WA there isn't many areas under his jurisdiction that he could actually open up, simply because they are already open.

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2017, 11:32:57 AM »
I voted for Trump. I just don't drink the Zinke cool-aid over everything he says. How is he going to open lands to hunting that are already open to hunting? I'm sure some areas will see changes, but even in the Obama years about 15 wildlife refuges a year added new hunting or fishing opportunities. In WA there isn't many areas under his jurisdiction that he could actually open up, simply because they are already open.

I guess I'm not just focused on Washington, I'm very glad to see any lands opened in any state, I remember when hunters lost opportunity in Utah and in Alaska, anything done to open any lands that were closed is a plus in my book. I'm also very supportive of actions to get logging going again and also want to see more mining/oil/gas, we need to put those dollars into the US economy rather than sending the money to the middle east where the dollars are used to build governments up that eventually seem to turn against us.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline olyguy79

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2017, 11:33:29 AM »
:yeah:

I don't forsee Zinke opening hunting in Mt. Rainier National Park, Olympic National Park, etc. In fact only Congress could open those areas up. The few federal refuges in WA that are closed to hunting are off-shore rocks in the Pacific Ocean.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 11:41:35 AM by olyguy79 »

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2017, 11:37:44 AM »
I guess I'm not just focused on Washington, I'm very glad to see any lands opened in any state, I remember when hunters lost opportunity in Utah and in Alaska, anything done to open any lands that were closed is a plus in my book. I'm also very supportive of actions to get logging going again and also want to see more mining/oil/gas, we need to put those dollars into the US economy rather than sending the money to the middle east where the dollars are used to build governments up that eventually seem to turn against us.
I'd much rather see the new Secretary of Agriculture (Sonny Perdue) come out and say increase logging since he actually oversees the USFS. Zinke has no say in the USFS. BLM (DOI) has always done some logging but most BLM land is desert, not too much timber value in sagebrush.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2017, 11:38:36 AM »
Wouldn't that be awesome though, if you could hunt elk in the Olympic National Park?  We have so few choices of quality elk permits to apply for with a west side tag. Add a couple hundred bull permits for the park, that would be a game changer!   :IBCOOL:

Offline JLS

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2017, 12:57:48 PM »
which is likely one reason why BHA is now opposed to Zinke, BHA is often opposed to multiple land use, logging, mining, oil, gas, etc.

Not sure this is entirely accurate.  In fact, the comments the Washington BHA chapter sent in to the Colville NF recommended they INCREASE logging/board feet harvest.

In reference to energy development, there is this:

https://www.backcountryhunters.org/bha_report_finds_sage_grouse_energy_development_can_coexist

“We appreciate the administration’s interest in sustaining the future of the Western sage steppe and our outdoors way of life,” stated Gale. “Collaborative efforts by the federal government, Western states, landowners, ranchers, sportsmen and a range of other stakeholders have allowed us to reach a point where sage grouse populations can thrive. The review of these strategies launched by Secretary Zinke should in no way slow or alter their continued implementation. We must continue to support this approach – and continue working to make sage grouse habitat as healthy and resilient as possible – while proceeding to cultivate public lands energy resources. Our report shows that both of these objectives can be achieved simultaneously.”

Also, FYI.

Trump Jr. is closely allied with several sportsmen's lobbying groups that pushed for Zinke to become interior secretary, including Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, the Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership and the Boone and Crockett Club.

Not saying BHA or TRCP are the perfect organizations, and I completely respect your opinion to view them as you do.  I will continue to support both groups, and I will continue to view Zinke with a skeptical eye.  I feel he has mostly provided lip service to hunters and anglers, but sincerely hope he proves me completely wrong.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 01:41:10 PM by JLS »
Matthew 7:13-14

Offline bearpaw

• Administrator
  • Legend
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2017, 01:58:06 PM »
which is likely one reason why BHA is now opposed to Zinke, BHA is often opposed to multiple land use, logging, mining, oil, gas, etc.

Not sure this is entirely accurate.  In fact, the comments the Washington BHA chapter sent in to the Colville NF recommended they INCREASE logging/board feet harvest.

In reference to energy development, there is this:

https://www.backcountryhunters.org/bha_report_finds_sage_grouse_energy_development_can_coexist

“We appreciate the administration’s interest in sustaining the future of the Western sage steppe and our outdoors way of life,” stated Gale. “Collaborative efforts by the federal government, Western states, landowners, ranchers, sportsmen and a range of other stakeholders have allowed us to reach a point where sage grouse populations can thrive. The review of these strategies launched by Secretary Zinke should in no way slow or alter their continued implementation. We must continue to support this approach – and continue working to make sage grouse habitat as healthy and resilient as possible – while proceeding to cultivate public lands energy resources. Our report shows that both of these objectives can be achieved simultaneously.”

Also, FYI.

Trump Jr. is closely allied with several sportsmen's lobbying groups that pushed for Zinke to become interior secretary, including Backcountry Hunters and Anglers, the Theodore Roosevelt Conservation Partnership and the Boone and Crockett Club.

Not saying BHA or TRCP are the perfect organizations, and I completely respect your opinion to view them as you do.  I will continue to support both groups, and I will continue to view Zinke with a skeptical eye.  I feel he has mostly provided lip service to hunters and anglers, but sincerely hope he proves me completely wrong.

JLS, I'll agree that BHA seems to be softening it's wilderness approach somewhat and starting to work with, rather than so against, local communities. I'll continue to watch them with a skeptical eye and hope they continue to transform. I am elated that we have some leaders for a change who don't seem to be actively working to limit sports folks! :IBCOOL:

Bigtex, I also would like to see Sonny Purdue and the USDA come out with a statement supporting logging!  :tup:

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2017, 03:23:15 PM »
Zinke can talk about increasing hunting and fishing numbers all he wants but it's really more of a state's issue. States dictate the seasons, the limits, the license costs, etc. Those are the things that are driving people from the sport.

Zinke simply wants to open more wildlife refuges to hunting/fishing as a way to increase opportunity, well in WA most refuges are open anyways so we won't see much of a change there. All of the National Monuments in WA are open to hunting. We have three National Park Service sites (Lake Roosevelt, Lake Chelan, and Ross Lake) open to hunting, that's more than every state other than Alaska.

I agree. The push by big timber companies to charge access fees is also going to reduce the number of hunters by making it too costly for many to hunt. Reduced hunter numbers may sound good to some, but that just means higher costs for those keep hunting. Hunting is already a costly activity to get into. People will get into other activities that aren't as costly. Recruitment will dwindle. Hunting will become an activity for the upper class, just like in Europe and other places.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2017, 04:25:52 PM »
I'll start smiling when the saws start rolling through WA national forest lands again in a serious way.  Use the revenue to buy access to additional land or landlocked public lands and maintain roads.  Reduce fire danger, increase habitat for animals and make hunters very happy.

Almost every survey sites access to land as the number one reason people quit hunting or don't start.

Offline beav1980

• Hunter
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2017, 10:29:52 AM »
Locally it seems as if hu yet numbers have increased. 

Offline elkchaser54

• Scout
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2017, 11:51:49 AM »
They make an announcement to appease hunters while behind doors selling lands to oil, coal and mining development.....

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal