collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Picking a camping spot  (Read 3312 times)

Offline Billy74

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Picking a camping spot
« on: September 26, 2017, 08:37:22 AM »
Just wondering how you guys go about picking a spot to set up camp when out hunting.  I'll be up in the NE in the CNF.  From scouting I found a few places I could just pull my car in and set up (have more comforts with me).  From there I could drive or possible hike to my hunting ground or park and walk in.  What's your process when picking a spot?  I don't want to camp right on good hunting grounds.  I'll be up there the day before so I hope to have time to pick a good spot and do a little more scouting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
Re: Picking a camping spot
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 08:39:40 AM »
For me, its a combination of proximity to where I want to hunt and quality/size of area where I plan to put up my tent. If I had to choose one or the other, I would take a good tent spot and drive or hike a little farther versus the opposite.  :twocents:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 09:00:11 AM »
Some people like to camp right in the meadow where they think they are going to shoot their critter, or in the middle of a great crossing.  I so think this is nuts. 

I camp,where I have access to get where I need to get and the ability to get out when I need to get out.  That's truck camping.   In the mountains it's where there is a flat spot near water where I won't contaminate where I want to hunt.  Believe it or not, in some places, flat spots are a premium.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 09:10:43 AM »
A) hi spot with easy trenching for tent if needed
B) Place for fire pit
C) not in hunt zone
D) within 20 min drive 30 min hike to hunt area

Offline skeeter 20i

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 09:14:55 AM »
Always remember to look up when you think you've found the perfect spot.  You don't want a nasty ol' snag coming down on you in a windstorm.  Other than that I really look at how the spot drains we can get some good rains that time of year.
"The world is changed by your example, not your opinion."

Offline JLS

• Frontiersman
  • Groups: Support the LWCF!
Picking a camping spot
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 09:33:14 AM »
It depends greatly on the type of camping I am going to do. If I want to set up a base camp, complete with wall tent and stove, then I typically plan on driving 30 to 45 minutes a day to trailheads/jump off point. In this case, I am looking for a flat spot with good drainage. 

If I am backpack hunting, then I am looking for a flat spot with water and shelter from the wind, and shelter from standing dead trees.  It's a fine line between camping close to your hunting spot, and disturbing the area. The game you are hunting will dictate this to a certain extent. I think elk or more tolerable than big meal deer bucks.

Matthew 7:13-14

Online ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 11:48:26 PM »
We like to camp where we hunt. Or where we can walk out of camp to hunt. We also have several less mobile members in our camp' we try to pick areas that offer something for everyone.
Our cook shack is 10x20, personal tents take up about 30 square feet each.5-8 tents, Than we have to park the utility trailers and trucks. Takes a sizable area. and we like it level as possible.

We also like to be able to cut wood on site or near by. We prefer to be off on our own so we tend to pick spots at road ends or on side roads if possible.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 06:02:33 AM »
A) hi spot with easy trenching for tent if needed
B) Place for fire pit
C) not in hunt zone
D) within 20 min drive 30 min hike to hunt area

:yeah:

I would add and free to camp! If you back to back areas ie deer and elk in same area, I try to pic a location not far from both and stay setup with just a few days between the seasons... some in my gang does multi deer so my camp setup happens this weekend, will stay in use thru mid November...
USN retired
1981-2011

Offline Jpmiller

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 06:34:57 PM »
I like to go end of the road in some trees. Maybe I'm crazy but I see lots of camps (especially Backcountry) where guys pitch their shelter on unprotected ridgetops or in the middle of a meadow. I like a little buffer between me and the wind.

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 07:08:16 PM »
I don't really camp I plan to throw some junk in my truck and find a spot to park and sleep in the pumpkin patch.  Mostly gonna pray I don't get shot  :o

I don't know this area beyond driving through it up to 5 days a week since January. 

I have no clue what sort of mess I am diving into, but I can't go anywhere else on my own, and I hunt alone due to no hunting partners.

Pick a spot kinda near where you want to be and then be flexible.

Offline Billy74

• Scout
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 08:47:51 PM »
My plan now is hit the end of a road I already scouted and if that looks bad when I get there find a quiet place to park.  I may end up sleeping in my rig if weather is super bad but having a nice place set up for mid day and end of day to stretch out and clean up sound good.  Hiking in to set up isn't gonna happen this year just based on my gear and ability.  I can pack meat to camp but getting a full back and meat to the truck is another story. Not over any distance anyway.

Offline scrapperdude

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2017, 03:55:23 PM »
most people pick the sweetest hunting spot their is and set their camp up in the middle of it  :bash:

Offline MrSmallington

• Tracker
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2017, 04:10:27 PM »
what would constitute a reasonable distance from camp and hunting spot. i found a great flat spot. dead end road surrounded by thick trees.... tacks, poop, and bedding areas. i can camp up hill a quarter  mile but ill be open to the elements. good thread.

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2017, 04:14:31 PM »
Some people like to camp right in the meadow where they think they are going to shoot their critter, or in the middle of a great crossing.  I so think this is nuts. 

I camp,where I have access to get where I need to get and the ability to get out when I need to get out.  That's truck camping.   In the mountains it's where there is a flat spot near water where I won't contaminate where I want to hunt.  Believe it or not, in some places, flat spots are a premium.

:tup:...There you go.

Offline kevinlisa06

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2017, 06:46:35 PM »
My parents and grandparents picked our spot down low in the bottom. Where people really don’t hunt. Nice level area with trees around as a wind break. My dad has planted a few trees in the area a number of years ago. Hoping to finally be back in there this year as no one drew tags in different areas and the road is now open. Lots of memories there since we started camping there in 1973 when I was5 months old and am now 44 yrs old.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw