collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Scent Control Debate  (Read 13156 times)

Offline CJ1962

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF
Scent Control Debate
« on: September 27, 2017, 05:57:42 PM »
I've been on a short term assignment to Florida and in my effort to fast forward my hunting knowledge of the area I started listening to the Down South Hunting podcast.  It's an ok podcast in general, but the last 3 episodes have been really good.  They interviewed two very successful deer hunters from the Midwest.  One that really believes in Scent Control and one that doesn't.  I recommend that all hunters listen to these 3 podcasts.  I listen on Google Play, but attached are links to all 3.

Enjoy

http://www.downsouthhunting.com/down-south-hunting-podcast-episode-013-scent-control-debate-part-1/

http://www.downsouthhunting.com/south-hunting-podcast-episode-014-scent-control-strategy-comparison-w-dan-infalt-john-eberhart-part-2/

http://www.downsouthhunting.com/south-hunting-podcast-episode-015-scent-control-strategy-comparison-w-dan-infalt-john-eberhart-part-3/

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
Re: Scent Control Debate
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2017, 06:11:32 PM »
Carl,

There is no debate.......    PLEASE start practicing scent control. Do it for the children. 

(are you back yet?   I know where some elk are.)
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2017, 07:42:36 PM »
Thanks, I'll check 'em out.  In the mean time .........

“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2017, 08:08:50 PM »
For sure, scent control is legit.  Cook your bacon, hand around your running Powerstroke, chew and smoke and then get a couple sprays of the latest and greatest.

Offline CJ1962

• Scout
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 04:42:45 AM »
Carl,

There is no debate.......    PLEASE start practicing scent control. Do it for the children. 

(are you back yet?   I know where some elk are.)

I was back for the whole Archery Elk season.  Had some chances, but struck out.  Might be home for rifle deer season, but just for the weekend.

Offline CJ1962

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 04:43:21 AM »
Thanks, I'll check 'em out.  In the mean time .........

They talk about this.  Neither are that impressed.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 06:50:14 AM »
I read a book by an ex-military guy turned dog trainer that works up high dollar dogs for Seal teams.  He had a chapter on dog's sense of smell and noted that cover scents don't work as dogs sense of smell works differently than people.  They smell everything individually where we smell things together.  An example would be a pot of chili cooking on the stove.  We smell chili where dogs smell beans, chili powder, ground beef, tomatoes, etc.

He had a dog that sniffed out a drug package hidden in a tank of gas.

I wonder if deer smell that way.  If so, all of the cover scents would be completely worthless.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 06:55:05 AM »
I am guilty of using scent control sprays, detergent etc but I still think playing the wind/thermals is paramount. I have gotten much better over the years of not only being aware of them but planning my every move based on them. I will hike an extra mile to get the wind right versus trusting my scent control in an unfavorable wind.  :twocents:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 08:44:30 AM »
I am guilty of using scent control sprays, detergent etc but I still think playing the wind/thermals is paramount. I have gotten much better over the years of not only being aware of them but planning my every move based on them. I will hike an extra mile to get the wind right versus trusting my scent control in an unfavorable wind.  :twocents:

Ditto on hiking waaay around to hunt a place with the wind right.  I have some places where I have a different plan and hunt approach depending on which way the wind is blowing. 

Directly on topic:  If you think scent control spray or clothes etc. work, use them by all means because anything that ups our confidence helps. 

However, IMO scent control is impossible with current technology and is no more than a lucrative scam, though some of the sellers probably believe their own hype.  I admit that I may overreact to this topic!    A hermetically sealed rebreather spacesuit that contains your breath and every molecule that leaves you skin might have possibilities, except that the suit material itself has some kind of odor.  If scent control worked, drug dealers would wrap their shipments in a scent control jacket or bag and be home free.   

The stories given as evidence that scent control works are downright  funny.  Last Fall I had a mule deer doe come off of a clearcut hillside onto an abandoned road with me, downwind of me, within 15 yards.  She looked at me a few times but mostly just walked on her way up the road.  I could say, "WOW!  She did not smell me and my camo was so good that she did not even see me standing in the open inside of 15 yards.  WOW!  This stuff really works!"

In my early days of calling critters to my bow, I went fanatical about scent control:  washing clothes scent free, bagging them sealed with sage or pine boughs, scrubbing myself, washing again after I left my vehicle and changing clothes from skin out before a short non-sweaty walk to a stand, etc.  I concluded that maybe I could surprise a coyote by the different or lack of scent for a few seconds, probably less than 5 seconds of double take body language on his part, maybe a bit more sometimes.  I don't think that the animal could not smell me but rather that it was an unusual smell coming from a human. 

Let's see:  my grandson killed a huge bull elk with his bow last year at 4 yards.  I have called coyotes inside of 18 inches, powder burned my first bull elk, lynx inside of 6 feet, a fox inside of 12 inches, black bear at a dozen feet, a 175 class mule deer killed within 40 feet, had a blacktail spike sniff of my boots as I sat by a deer trail, and my son called a bull moose to within touching distance (not a good idea by the way).  All of this without scent control clothes nor gear. 

Again, if you have confidence in it, use it. 

Offline JeffRaines

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 09:04:47 AM »

Ditto on hiking waaay around to hunt a place with the wind right.  I have some places where I have a different plan and hunt approach depending on which way the wind is blowing. 

Directly on topic:  If you think scent control spray or clothes etc. work, use them by all means because anything that ups our confidence helps. 

However, IMO scent control is impossible with current technology and is no more than a lucrative scam, though some of the sellers probably believe their own hype.  I admit that I may overreact to this topic!    A hermetically sealed rebreather spacesuit that contains your breath and every molecule that leaves you skin might have possibilities, except that the suit material itself has some kind of odor.  If scent control worked, drug dealers would wrap their shipments in a scent control jacket or bag and be home free.   

The stories given as evidence that scent control works are downright  funny.  Last Fall I had a mule deer doe come off of a clearcut hillside onto an abandoned road with me, downwind of me, within 15 yards.  She looked at me a few times but mostly just walked on her way up the road.  I could say, "WOW!  She did not smell me and my camo was so good that she did not even see me standing in the open inside of 15 yards.  WOW!  This stuff really works!"

In my early days of calling critters to my bow, I went fanatical about scent control:  washing clothes scent free, bagging them sealed with sage or pine boughs, scrubbing myself, washing again after I left my vehicle and changing clothes from skin out before a short non-sweaty walk to a stand, etc.  I concluded that maybe I could surprise a coyote by the different or lack of scent for a few seconds, probably less than 5 seconds of double take body language on his part, maybe a bit more sometimes.  I don't think that the animal could not smell me but rather that it was an unusual smell coming from a human. 

Let's see:  my grandson killed a huge bull elk with his bow last year at 4 yards.  I have called coyotes inside of 18 inches, powder burned my first bull elk, lynx inside of 6 feet, a fox inside of 12 inches, black bear at a dozen feet, a 175 class mule deer killed within 40 feet, had a blacktail spike sniff of my boots as I sat by a deer trail, and my son called a bull moose to within touching distance (not a good idea by the way).  All of this without scent control clothes nor gear. 

Again, if you have confidence in it, use it. 

I agree completely. I don't have near the experience that you do, but one thing has always stood out to me... what about our breath? Yeah, you can use some special scent killing toothpaste I guess, but that doesn't take away the fact that our breath is still going to smell unlike anything out there. Even if you use that stuff, what happens an hour later when the natural bacteria in our mouths have repopulated somewhat and are causing an odor again? Same thing for scent killing body wash.

We should take two guys in a season, one of them uses scent control and the other doesn't, have the scent control guy ignore the wind entirely while hunting(because scent control) and the other guy who's wearing regular deodorant, who has eaten something in his hunting clothes and kept them in a scented area, plays the wind. I know who I'm betting on.

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 09:09:02 AM »
There are times when you just can't use the wind to your advantage.  For those times I use scent control products.  They don't eliminate your scent but if it takes away a little, anything helps.  Scent control and good natural cover scent like crushed up fir or pine needles and dirt.  I think they give you a better advantage than so called scent elimination products.

Offline Doublelunger

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 09:22:36 AM »
When you're ready to take your scent control to the next level start taking chlorophyll pills :tup:

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 09:31:19 AM »
There are times when you just can't use the wind to your advantage. 

You are probably right, but I am close to disagreeing.  :)

We can use the wind far more than is generally assumed, and far more than merely hunting upwind.  For nose dominant animals, which include ungulates, canines and bears, the wind allows us to predict with high probability what an animal will do, where he will go, etc.  Any pattern a hunter can predict about an animal is a huge advantage.  I'd do my usual and post a corroborating/example story or two but am giving away too much hard learned info already!

Steady wind in one direction is a hunter's gift, no matter which way it blows.  Variable swirling winds are trouble. 

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 10:18:41 AM »
I just stand around the camp fire at night.  :chuckle:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline rtspring

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2017, 10:51:05 AM »
Scent control is a billion dollar business! Biggest ripoff in the world.   The one thing you cannot hide is your breath.  If you dont have wind in your face, then you had best move to get it in your face no matter what..  I have 30 years hunting experience and never try to COVER up my scent.  Oh and I smoke whenever and where ever. 

I never clean my clothes in anything but regular laundry soap, srand around the fire in my hunting clothes, chew gum, smoke, wear deodorant and so on amd so forth. 

I have been involved in 100 plus elk kils and probably twice that in deer kills.  Get that wind in your face and you will be fine..  I do agree to try and limit unatural scents, but there are far better hunting things to spend money on.. 
I kill elk and eat elk, when I'm not, I'm thinking about killing elk and eating elk.

It doesn't matter what you think...

The Whiners suck!!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]