collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: But seriously folks !  (Read 4953 times)

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
Re: But seriously folks !
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 04:12:27 PM »
T/C Black Diamond XR 110gr of 777 45cal hollow point in a sabot and I can hit a pop can at 100+ yards all day long. Keep trying your mix. You need to find out what your gun likes and then you will be good to go. I am amazed at how accurate My Black Diamond is. Crazy accurate right out of the box. I also LOVE the fiberoptic sights it came with. So nice.
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2017, 04:26:25 PM »
I got sights , don't want to go to a scope , want to hunt next year , using 209's two white hots and hollow points 250g. , Very new to this , I guess I need to clean the barrel every shot ? For sighting learning ? Staying in a 4 inch ring at 35   yards but that's terrible I'm thinking ? Hollow points not that accurate ? HELP !!
shouldn't need to clean the barrel after each shot.  after maybe 7 or 8 shots it should start getting tight and need a cleaning.

Offline scottcrb

• NRA, RMEF, Wa marketing director Montucky Cold Snack, MDF, BHA,
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
    • Montucky Cold Snacks
  • Groups: nra, RMEF,MDF
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2017, 06:46:53 PM »
I run a wet patch after each shot and take the breech plug out after 5-10 shots and fully clean. I had good luck with Hornady sst bullets and knight bloodlines. I shoot 110gr of fffp hodgman powder.

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 08:42:04 AM »
I use a slightly damp patch between shots at the range and I use the same patch over and over until it looses all of its moisture... the term 'wet' worries me a bit...

Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline MountainDevil54

• Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 11:22:57 PM »

[/quote]
shouldn't need to clean the barrel after each shot.  after maybe 7 or 8 shots it should start getting tight and need a cleaning.
[/quote]

not true at all. With a sidelock yes, inlines are a nastier beast and bake that fouling into the bore. Crud ring is a major issue. With some of the black powder subs in the traditional sidelocks, I've experienced a reverse crud ring, where it was super tight the first 4" of the muzzle VS the last 2-3 inches at the breech plug.

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2017, 08:02:43 AM »
I would like to add - the statement about inlines that MD54 has presented is not very accurate when shooting an inline using caps and T7.  Many of us shoot Western style inlines with cap and do not have that problem at all.

A couple of things I would suggest that will reduce the effects of fouling or the 'crud ring' is not to use any type of products that contain petroleum or Teflon in the bore.   If you have been using a either of these two products in the bore it will take awhile clear them form the bore.

It would be my suggestion to only use synthetic bore oils in a ML that you might shoot real BP or BP subs from, this does not include BH-209 powder which most of us Western people can not use anyway.

Offline MountainDevil54

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: November 02, 2017, 10:21:52 AM »
with #11 & percussion caps you get a reverse crud ring at the muzzle where it gets tight, just as i stated above.

Ever shoot a black powder revolver? The cylinders get extremely tight at the end after a couple reloads.

Not to hard really, keep them clean and they will load easier and generally be more accurate.

My old 58cal at 100 yards, swabbing between shots,

Now a 50cal at 100, first time with the new rifle.

I didnt do any swabbing on those shots at all, but if the bore is in good shape without any pitting or nasty scratches, using a good patch lube ( in your case sabots/conicals may need swabbing for best accuracy ) you won't have an issue. The rifle in the second picture, I must have fired well over 26-28 shots at Rendezvous this year and never once had an issue. I also use a super tight patch with a tight weave, yet a coarse weave that allows the fouling to embed into the patch and clean as I load.

But as for the crud ring with t7 and a #11, yes, its an issue.

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: November 02, 2017, 02:41:41 PM »
with #11 & percussion caps you get a reverse crud ring at the muzzle where it gets tight, just as i stated above.

Never have had that happen. sorry that you are experiencing those problems.  I have shot as many as 15 shots dinging around with T7 at the rock pit.  110 grain loads - #11 mag caps.  Done this several times with different Knight rifles - not that - that has anything to do with it.  And as you mentioned at Rondy shoots, using any of my Renegades, all I use is T7 and never run a patch. Using the Rene's I am shooting T7-3f which does burn cleaner.

Ever shoot a black powder revolver? The cylinders get extremely tight at the end after a couple reloads.

Nope never have...

Not to hard really, keep them clean and they will load easier and generally be more accurate.

My old 58cal at 100 yards, swabbing between shots,

Now a 50cal at 100, first time with the new rifle.

I didnt do any swabbing on those shots at all, but if the bore is in good shape without any pitting or nasty scratches, using a good patch lube ( in your case sabots/conicals may need swabbing for best accuracy ) you won't have an issue. The rifle in the second picture, I must have fired well over 26-28 shots at Rendezvous this year and never once had an issue. I also use a super tight patch with a tight weave, yet a coarse weave that allows the fouling to embed into the patch and clean as I load.

But as for the crud ring with t7 and a #11, yes, its an issue.

I and a whole lot of other people around here would disagree if you know what you are doing with your bore!

« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 03:04:38 PM by Sabotloader »

Offline Squidward

• Sourdough
    • https://www.facebook.com/ed.brooks.3781
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2017, 03:50:44 PM »
you can get away with a lot of cheap / home made stuff for the smoke pole. make a ball starter with a small block of wood, drill a hole and put a small piece of dowel in it, done. I have made them out of old golf balls and a dowel they don't fit in the pocket as easy as a flat one tho.

you can put pre-measured (loose) powder charges in old shell cases, tape the top, rip the tape off poor it out and load up.

I use a greased lead bullet (maxi ball), when i 1st started i took a small piece of board about 3/8" thick-ish. I drilled a few holes in the board one to tie a lanyard too and the rest snug fit a bullet in. the end stuck out of the board and would line up with the barrel when loading, shove it through with the ball starter.
just keep in mind you don't have to buy everything for it. Good Luck!

Offline cryder

• relic01
  • Longhunter
  • elk down
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2017, 01:09:34 AM »
BRILLIANT ! I definitely need to get to the range with folks that no what there doing before next season , are these white hots pretty messy stuff compare to others ?
loction location location ! perzackly !

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand