collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: More wolves than elk in Taneum  (Read 7498 times)

Offline Salmonstalker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
More wolves than elk in Taneum
« on: September 28, 2017, 12:26:45 PM »
One of my hunting partners drew the Peaches Ridge Quality Bull tag with 2 points (lucky SOB0.) My other hunting partner and myself decided to tag along and hunt the Taneum side along with the permit holder- considering it was open for general archery as well+ the Little Naches was burning. After 3 days of intense hiking, 12 hours/day and not seeing any fresh sign, or getting any bulls to bugle back, we decided to move around a little and try bugling different ridges/drainage's. That proved nothing as well. We talked to a couple guys camping near us that had been hunting there for 25+ years and this was the first year someone hadn't killed an animal in the first week. He concluded that he had very few elk on trail cams but MULTIPLE packs of wolves... >:( Having heard this, it's all starting to make sense. That night we tried bugling in a different drainage and I spotted a pack of wolves cross a landing right at dark  :yike: The following day, we tried a different ridge several miles away, and finally got a response..... HOOOOOOOWWWWLLL..... followed by a bunch of puppy yelps. We went back and forth with them for about 1/2 hour. Each time they responded, they got closer to us. SOOOO we went back to camp to drink about it  :chuckle: The following day we took a stroll down a logging road at a way lower elevation thinking the elk had been pushed down low. For several miles, approximately every 50', there was a pile of wolf scat- full of light brown hair and bones.... That was the last straw for the one buddy and myself. It was Friday, we had been at it for a week straight and made zero connections with any living elk. We sadly told our permit holder, that we would be headed home to lick our wounds for the weekend and get ready for a busy work week. He planned on staying till the last day but with weather coming, he was getting nervous. Fast forward 24 hours: Permit holder calls me with an ecstatic sounding voice "I killed a bull!!!!" Turns out, he went back to a spot we hadn't been in a few days, sat at a landing, let out a bugle, GOT A BUGLE BACK, bull popped out below him, disappeared for a while, snuck into 20 yards and popped up at the end of his nocked arrow..... He made a perfect shot thru the boiler room, bull went 100 yards and died on his feet. Dead 6 point bull. I don't have permission to post the pics at the moment, sorry.

I guess that's why you never give up hope. Although that was the ONLY elk any of us laid eyes on in 9 days. The other guys around us pulled the plug as well, due to lack of elk activity. Does anyone else have any personal accounts similar? Mind you, we are literally within a couple miles of the Pacific Crest Trail and it's all down hill from there to the west side....

Offline hunterofelk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Re: More wolves than elk in Taneum
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2017, 12:43:36 PM »
Most of my experiences hunting elk east of the crest is with modern rifle.  I usually see elk the first two days of season and than nothing.  When I go look at the elk at Joe Watt or Oak creek there are many spikes munching hay, haven't seen a wolf yet.

Offline HighCountryHunter88

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 12:45:17 PM »
you report any of this to FW?
-Matt

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2017, 12:55:43 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but there are no wolf packs verified in the Taneum. 

If you could show WDFW where you're seeing/hearing all these wolves, you'd be a hero to those of us who would like wolves delisted.   
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2017, 01:00:35 PM »
We found wolf scat and tracks up on Manastash Ridge by Quartz Mtn this summer. I don't doubt they are in the Taneum too.  :bash:
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2017, 01:07:53 PM »
That's next door to the Teanaway pack, so it wouldn't be surprising.

+10 for reporting (as publically as you can) to WDFW. 

Glad your buddy laid claim to being the better predator! :)

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2017, 01:41:23 PM »
The lack of a "confirmed pack" doesn't mean there aren't wolves. Quite a few sightings have been reported there. Kind of interesting to see how many have been reported in the Seattle area...
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Rimrock hunter

• Pilgrim
  • Groups: rocky mountain elk foundation
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2017, 01:48:02 PM »
Seen 2 wolves chasing a deer in the Taneum last year after snowmobiling. We were driving out of the sno-park, and about 1 mile down the road they came across the road right in front of us. The two black wolves were right on the deer heels, and another deer came across the road behind them. My wife thought they were 2 bears chasing the deer, but i told her those were 2 wolves honey.

Called the WDFW the next day, and they said, Oh, wolves in the Taneum now. I gave him the exact spot that I had seen them in, and his answer was that the snow would probably be melted by the time they could get there. The snow was to turn to rain the next day though.

Seen wolf scat in Rimrock last year.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2017, 01:50:34 PM »
Wolves at Joe Watt, and wolves on Quartz.   What's in between?

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2017, 02:19:19 PM »
I don't doubt there are wolves there.   

The OP referenced a bunch of wolves on trail cam in there as well as puppy calls.   

If that's the case, the documentation should be given to wdfw to make them acknowledge the pack(s) in Taneum. 
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline HUNTINCOUPLE

• Lost Somewhere on the Praire of Klickitat Co. Chasing The Elusive BENCHLEG DEERS.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Yep, my avatar is from my front porch. #2835
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 02:21:57 PM »
Glad your buddy got a good bull! Between the wolfs and man we should have no elk around there soon....... :bash:   Please report all the info you have to WDFW.
Slap some bacon on a biscut and lets go, were burrnin daylight!

Most peoples health is a decision not a condition?

Kill your television!  ICEMAN SAID TO!

Life Member of Hunting  Washington  Forum.

Time in the woods is more important than timing the moon.

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 02:27:04 PM »
The lack of a "confirmed pack" doesn't mean there aren't wolves. Quite a few sightings have been reported there. Kind of interesting to see how many have been reported in the Seattle area...

Is it really that surprising?

What percentage of people in Seattle do you think know the difference between a wolf and a coyote?  Or a wolf and a big husky in the dark, for that matter?

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 02:48:40 PM »
 :yeah:

And that is the departments best excuse to blow people off when they report wolves sighted...
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 02:59:25 PM »
:yeah:

And that is the departments best excuse to blow people off when they report wolves sighted...
Given the number of wolves reported in Seattle, why wouldn't you be skeptical?
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2017, 03:56:28 PM »
A report from Seattle? Sure... a report in Skagit county....    since people I know up here have been blown off... one whom posted the pics up here of a pack on the nooksack got blown off by the department... its pretty hard for me to think they are serious. I was blown off when i i formed some one about a wolf sighting at lake Cavanaugh... so I'll call them after I scrape it off the front of my truck.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10