collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: D*** Douglas Squirrels  (Read 2804 times)

Offline smithkl42

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
    • https://www.facebook.com/smithkl42/
    • Would-BeTheologian
D*** Douglas Squirrels
« on: September 30, 2017, 09:19:25 PM »
Last Thursday afternoon, the last day I was going to be able to get out for early archery, I was setup at a perfect spot: tons of recent deer sign, very active trail, I was downwind of the trail, great shooting lane, no deer could have seen me until they hit the shooting lane. I knew nothing was a given, but it felt like my best chance all season.

Just as the "golden hour" approached, I noticed a Douglas squirrel crawling around a nearby tree. He came down to within about 10 feet of me before he realized there was something there that shouldn't be. He freaked out, ran back up the tree, and proceeded to advertise his rage and my location at the top of his squirrely lungs for the next 45 minutes - not a single break. Finally, as it was getting dark, he quieted down and went to sleep. Not surprisingly, I didn't see any deer.

This is my first season hunting. Is there anything you can do in that situation? (I can't do the obvious thing and let an arrow fly in his direction, as Douglas squirrels are - for some unknown reason - a protected species.) Is there a way to stay undetected? Once you're detected, is getting up and leaving the only real solution? Or...? Just curious.
"Marriage is a duel to the death, which no man of honor should decline." - GKC

Offline HuntnFishnRyan

• Tracker
Re: D*** Douglas Squirrels
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 09:49:20 PM »
From my experience I haven't noticed a squirrel, chipmunk warning call having an effect on deer. I've had some whitetails come up to my blind in that golden hour after a chipmunk got finished flapping its gums to warn his buddies. Perhaps other factors were involved like your scent, being noisy, or your entry into the area busted them out of the area, hunting pressure etc. I know for whitetails if they see something new like a ground blind pop up they can be leery if in a high pressure area and not come in.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 09:55:53 PM »
Gotta love those little guys!  I had a Kamikaze D. Squirrel come down a trail at light speed towards me this morning.  He hit the skids just before he hit my boots.  I had a good laugh as he freaked out and made a hasty retreat.  He didn't even bark at me once he was safe. 

I know no remedy but to move on once they show that they're not going to stop chiding me.  If I'm posted up someplace waiting, I do sometimes gently throw pebbles and sticks near them when they get within the 10 foot range, more for sport than anything else. It rarely helps. They're funny creatures though.  Sometimes they'll sit there within just a couple of feet of you and just check you out.  Other times, they're going berserk because you got 50 feet away from their home.

I'm not sure deer pay much heed to them.  They bark at deer too, so if a nearby buck hears the squirrel going off, he has no clue what the squirrel is barking at...it might be him.   I can imagine a buck outside the area might not come in if he hears the commotion though.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 10:01:25 PM by fishnfur »
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline stew pidasso

• GHOST FEET
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • Shoot straight
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2017, 07:48:04 AM »
First you have to look him straight in the eye, don't blink. Then when frowning dominance on him take your thumb out like a knife and slowly drag it across your throat and point at him.
Don't forget your spectacles, testicles, wallet and watch.

Offline YoungFowler

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Scout
  • Groups: Ducks Unlimited, Delta Waterfowl
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2017, 08:00:23 AM »
Reminds me of this video I saw the other dayhttps://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LZJ9-YMfBX8

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Fear God, love your neighbor and shoot ducks-Phil Robertson

Offline erk444

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2017, 08:10:38 AM »
Years ago I was in a tree stand and had 2 small whitetails around 80 yards out. The wind was blowing from them to me. They would spar a little then go back to feeding and one even rubbed a small tree. They were slowly working my way and had no idea I was there. After about 40 minutes of watching them I notice a squirrel coming my way from tree to tree. Once he got close enough to see me he stopped and just stared for a few seconds. I looked back to the deer who were still feeding and the second that squirrel barked, both bucks looked straight my direction and turned a walked away. They didnt run or act real spooked but they moved off with their ears turned back my way. I still blame that squirrel for that. Ive heard them make alot of noises over the years but this was like a bark an elk makes.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2017, 08:31:45 AM »
First you have to look him straight in the eye, don't blink. Then when frowning dominance on him take your thumb out like a knife and slowly drag it across your throat and point at him.

:chuckle: :chuckle:   Awesome!
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2017, 08:49:12 AM »
Other than annoying you, and disturbing what you could hear, deer could care less.  They make noise all the time.

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2017, 09:18:17 AM »
I've seen squirrels yell at deer and elk as well as at me so I don't think anything but squirrels and us pay attention to them. 

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2017, 10:04:43 AM »
So darn cute!!

Offline smithkl42

• Hunter
    • Would-BeTheologian
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2017, 10:55:21 PM »
Fishnfur - your video gave me an interesting idea. I wonder if he would have shut up if I paid him some hush money in the form of nuts of one sort or another...

Offline Jimmer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 05:32:03 AM »
Always carry a Judo point...

Offline smithkl42

• Hunter
    • Would-BeTheologian
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 05:31:28 PM »
Always carry a Judo point...

I do. But here are this year's regs:

"It is illegal to hunt, kill, possess, or control protected wildlife. Protected wildlife are: Cascade golden-mantled ground, golden mantled ground, Washington ground, red, Douglas, northern flying and western gray squirrels..."

I'm kinda mystified as to why Douglas Squirrels are on that list. From what I've seen, I can't imagine a more healthy and thriving population. But regs are gonna reg...

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 05:53:24 PM »
They shoot their machine guns at every little thing even each other  :chuckle:  they don't bother me it's those devil ninja jedi attack chippys  :yike: do not ask around about me and one of them in a hunting situation it was embarrassing for all  :bash: :bash:  he had red hate in his eyes,and ran at me it was self defense shrieks.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]