collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: This sound right.....?  (Read 2659 times)

Offline jtrammell

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
This sound right.....?
« on: October 02, 2017, 10:08:32 PM »
With the west side getting a little colder sooner than normal, anyone think the blacktail rust is starting to kick off? Anyone seeing any action that might support this?

Offline Kvw4x4

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
  • Groups: kvw4x4
Re: This sound right.....?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2017, 04:23:50 AM »
I have video of blacktail bucks fighting.  Been going on for a couple weeks.  This is one area then another area about 10 miles away haven't seen a thing.  I'm up north of Bellingham

Offline hawks33

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2017, 05:48:16 AM »
Haven't seen anything in 410. I know it's different year to year, last year it started here around mid October and it wasn't this cold if my memory serves me. Should be kicking off soon I hope.

Offline Tikka Bird Dog

• birddog
  • Business Sponsor
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, RMEF, Seattle Childrens Cancer Research, Wounded Warrior Project
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2017, 07:46:39 AM »
Every year people jump the gun on this. :chuckle: I get it, to me there is nothing more exciting then when the blacktail rut is in full swing. This is just my opinion.... There is always going to be exceptions, sure. The rut will start with close to the coast, lower elevation areas, and work its way to the high country. It'll start around the 20'th on vashion and wont hit higher elevations until about a weekish later. like I said, there is always exceptions, but you can hang your hat on the fact that it won't be full blown, bucks running around with there love goggles on, and tongues hanging out until pumkin day. Just my opinion/experience  :tup:

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2017, 08:38:20 AM »
That's pretty much it. I've caught bucks trashing trees and sparring late Sept, early Oct. Even found where deer had all out battled on logging roads, but the rut won't start until close to the end of the month. It has nothing to do with temperature, and everything to do with amount of daylight/moonlight that triggers the does to go into estrous. If temperature is what set them off, then we would have fawns constantly being born way to early, or way to late in the spring.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline SeatoSummit88

• Scout
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2017, 08:50:15 AM »
I was even told by a couple of guides and call makers that our wetter side blacktail rut sometimes is prime time right around late season! November or so... I have been seeing awesome rubs, but no fights and no  buck and doe groupings.
If I'm not selling, I should be hunting, If I'm not hunting, I should quit!

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2017, 09:01:29 AM »
I think theres a solid 2 week window, usually starting the last couple days of October, and running through the middle of November. The actual rut, and number of does in estrous is winding way down by Late Buck, but a lot of bucks are still running around with their tongues out looking for one last doe.

Regionally, its different too, some places it will vary a few days later, or earlier. I've seen it where I hunt where bucks were literally running everywhere, killing multiple nice bucks in a day in a square half mile, but 2 or 3 miles away there is virtually zero deer activity.

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2017, 09:19:07 AM »
I think theres a solid 2 week window, usually starting the last couple days of October, and running through the middle of November. The actual rut, and number of does in estrous is winding way down by Late Buck, but a lot of bucks are still running around with their tongues out looking for one last doe.

Regionally, its different too, some places it will vary a few days later, or earlier. I've seen it where I hunt where bucks were literally running everywhere, killing multiple nice bucks in a day in a square half mile, but 2 or 3 miles away there is virtually zero deer activity.
BINGO !!! We have a winner

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2017, 09:24:45 AM »

BINGO !!! We have a winner

Only learning from the best  ;)

Offline TikkaT3-270Shortmag

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2017, 09:44:57 AM »
I don't really start hunting hard until the last 4-5 days of the season.  Thats when the magic starts to happen!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Offline Bigshooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2017, 09:57:11 AM »
I don't really start hunting hard until the last 4-5 days of the season.  Thats when the magic starts to happen!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

:yeah:

I'll take the last 4 days of October over late buck season.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 02:50:49 PM »

This agrees with everything I've read and seen, but last season, it really seemed that there was a huge flurry of chasing and other rut type activity from the third week of October on.  A lot of huge old bucks were taken a week or more in advance of when you'd normally expect to find them taking dirt naps.

So far this year...I go out about every other day or so.  I haven't even seen even a doe in about 10 days.  Down here, it's still really slow during daylight hours - even first and last light are unproductive.  The archery elk guys always seem to put a dent in the deer activity, but that is well over and the deer should be back to more normal activity.

I think a few morning freezes will get things going a bit.    Hopefully, it won't be long now.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline Seabass

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 03:09:36 PM »
The rut happens roughly the same time every year...within a few days. Of course random bucks/does will do random stuff but the major action always happens when it happens. The elk rut is the same, the bass spawn is the same etc...

Offline shadowless_nite

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 06:38:17 PM »
I've found on my trail cameras over the years that the bucks travel patterns and times suddenly change mid October. I wouldn't necessarilly call it rut, but more like pre rut stuff, you know sparring and walkin with the nose forward also erratic times to come back through what was a routine area though still nocturnal. But come the last few days of October and first week of November would be when you catch them making the mistake of coming out during the day light chasing tail or on the move. This would also be the time when you get those transient bucks that never showed up any other time, suddenly appear for a time or two on cameras. I took believe late rifle buck is just the rail end of the general rut, of course there's the exceptions that are earlier or later than the rest.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal