collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Considerations for Quality Elk Points  (Read 3192 times)

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Considerations for Quality Elk Points
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 07:38:43 PM »
I put my kids in for OIL points as soon as I found out you could do it without a license.  Then, I signed them up for hunter's ed the first year I thought they could handle it and they both did great.  Now, I put them in for everything. 

Then, we hunt what we draw, general tags or out of state, depending on the year.  Out of state youth tags are usually a ton cheaper and I really like being the guide.  I usually have way more fun if I'm not carrying a rifle.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 07:52:39 PM »
Unless there are crazy circumstances where you 100% can't hunt, I don't think ghost points are useful. With point creep and the already terrible odds for the better permits, I would put in every year. At your son's age, if you draw, it would be a great chance for you to bring him along on all your scouting trips and help teach him everything that goes into a hunt.  :twocents:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2017, 08:00:26 PM »
The year you skip is the year you would draw. Just keep trying to draw and roll with it. I was the same as you when my kid was young. I kept trying anyway and haven't drawn anything spectacular yet and he's a teenager now. So it worked out.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2017, 08:02:06 PM »
I ghost my son for all big game and my daughter when she was young.  Until they wanted to go for something and could shoot a centerfire well enough, I ghost point their apps.

Offline Mossyoak

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2017, 08:54:23 PM »
Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it. He already has 4 points for the OILS, glad his applications are half of what mine are. Can't beleive the WDFW would leave money on the table :chuckle:. I will definitely look at the mentor kid tags, Idaho has it figured out. I like how you can transfer tags to kids as well, what a great way to get kids more involved. I wish WA would make some changes.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal