collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers Snohomish pint night.  (Read 2223 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Backcountry Hunters and Anglers Snohomish pint night.
« on: December 18, 2018, 08:42:59 PM »
Figured I’d put this out there as I haven’t seen it mentioned...

Tomorrow night at Lost Canoe Brewing in Snohomish. Come out and support a great cause.

https://www.backcountryhunters.org/snohomish_pint_night_wa

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
Re: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers Snohomish pint night.
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 09:05:03 PM »
I’ll miss out. Should be a fun night.
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 09:25:12 PM »
Do I need to be a BHA member to attend this one? Or will there be opportunities to join there?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 09:51:48 PM »
Do I need to be a BHA member to attend this one? Or will there be opportunities to join there?
You don’t need to be a member. I imagine you could join but I’m not positive.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline cougforester

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, RMEF
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 10:14:35 PM »
You don’t need to be a member. I imagine you could join but I’m not positive.

:brew:

Offline banishd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 11:20:33 PM »
You can join online anytime you want. I will be there.

Offline CGDucksandDeer

• Tracker
  • Groups: cgducksanddeer
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 11:46:06 AM »

Tomorrow night at Lost Canoe Brewing in Snohomish. Come out and support a great cause.

Folks interested in what issues BHA is working on in Washington, providing input on "conservation priorities" for the Chapter's 2019 annual planning, or volunteering should also check out this Google Form: https://goo.gl/forms/WNfWSNhkI2gIg0R72

Offline ribka

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 12:55:14 PM »

Do not even mention predator control management in their agenda. They mention mountain caribou but nothing about wolves affect on the herd

No mention of beneficial timber management after all the all the wild fires out west

My question is does BHA have a close association with conservation NW and Mitch Friedman?

Folks interested in what issues BHA is working on in Washington, providing input on "conservation priorities" for the Chapter's 2019 annual planning, or volunteering should also check out this Google Form: https://goo.gl/forms/WNfWSNhkI2gIg0R72

Offline NumaJohn

• Scout
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 01:21:06 PM »
Hello, all.

As a BHA member, I can honestly say that I have never seen evidence of anyone within the organization opposing sound wildlife management (which of course includes the management of predators such as wolves). What I have seen evidence of is efforts by BHA and its representatives to work in collaboration with like-minded organizations and citizens to address complex issues (which includes the management of predators such as wolves). That said, I respect that BHA has a focus, an internal discipline, that is articulated here: https://www.backcountryhunters.org/our_issues

As for the question about Mitch Friedman and Conservation Northwest, sure, I imagine (though do not have personal experience with) relationships exist, but I do not know of "associations" that might somehow negatively affect BHA and its members' abilities to advocate according to BHA's stated goals.

I am also a long-time member of RMEF, which of course has its own agenda, its own associations, not all of which square with my own views. But it seems to me that sometimes it makes sense to be a part of something that at least has adjacencies to things we really care about. For me, BHA counts as an organization that cares about our futures as hunters, anglers, and public land owners. For others, I realize there might never be a compelling reason to support BHA. So be it, but I would urge everyone who cares about keeping (especially federal) public lands in public hands to give BHA a closer look. Attend an event, conduct your own sniff test, ask questions of the people in leadership. Maybe get past the internet trolling and meet the people. Maybe hoist a pint with 'em!

John
"When we go afield to hunt wild game produced by the good earth, we search among the absolute truths held by the land, and the land, responding only to the law of nature, cannot be deceived."    

Jim Posewitz, Inherit the Hunt

Offline ribka

• Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 01:31:22 PM »
I’ve been a member of BHA. Current RMEF 20 years and TU 30 plus years, CCA, DU and mule deer foundation .

I’ve helped put up elk fence by Eburg and planted bitter brush after fires. Never saw BHA take part in this on east side of state. Can’t speak to west side.

Just curious what BHA’s stance is on predator ( bear griz and black, wolf, cat) and timber management as a part of their conservation beliefs system. Some members I’ve met in past want no wolf or cat management and zero logging as a part of forestry management.

Thanks

Hello, all.

As a BHA member, I can honestly say that I have never seen evidence of anyone within the organization opposing sound wildlife management (which of course includes the management of predators such as wolves). What I have seen evidence of is efforts by BHA and its representatives to work in collaboration with like-minded organizations and citizens to address complex issues (which includes the management of predators such as wolves). That said, I respect that BHA has a focus, an internal discipline, that is articulated here: https://www.backcountryhunters.org/our_issues

As for the question about Mitch Friedman and Conservation Northwest, sure, I imagine (though do not have personal experience with) relationships exist, but I do not know of "associations" that might somehow negatively affect BHA and its members' abilities to advocate according to BHA's stated goals.

I am also a long-time member of RMEF, which of course has its own agenda, its own associations, not all of which square with my own views. But it seems to me that sometimes it makes sense to be a part of something that at least has adjacencies to things we really care about. For me, BHA counts as an organization that cares about our futures as hunters, anglers, and public land owners. For others, I realize there might never be a compelling reason to support BHA. So be it, but I would urge everyone who cares about keeping (especially federal) public lands in public hands to give BHA a closer look. Attend an event, conduct your own sniff test, ask questions of the people in leadership. Maybe get past the internet trolling and meet the people. Maybe hoist a pint with 'em!

John

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 03:12:28 PM »
Anybody want to grab a beer and watch a movie?

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 03:13:08 PM »

For Reference: Existing BHA Washington 2018-19 Conservation Priority Issues

2018-19 Conservation Priorities for the Washington Chapter of Backcountry Hunters and AnglersTo be pursued by the Conservation Committee in coordination with other Chapter committees, co-chairs, member volunteers and national organization staff (Nationals).

1.    Identify, communicate and respond to attacks on public lands in Washington state
•   Including state or county policy threats as well as national attacks on public lands and conservation policies relevant to public lands in our state. Tactics will vary depending on need and capacity.

2.    Provide strategic and independent support to appropriate local conservation initiatives, including:
•   Protecting the Methow Headwaters from industrial mining through education, outreach and advocacy.
•   Supporting the designation of the Skagit River as a Wild Steelhead Gene Bank, including working with Nationals on efforts to support the WSGB designation and communicate the importance of this iconic watershed and its wild fish.
•   Provide support, publicity and other value as feasible to advance mountain caribou recovery actions in northeast Washington and southern British Columbia.
•   Provide value to habitat connectivity efforts and support for efforts to reduce vehicle-induced mortality of deer and elk in key areas, including around Vantage and in Okanogan County.
•   Guide member, boardmember and volunteer participation in local Travel Management Committees where appropriate to support sustainable forest road management on the Okanogan-Wenatchee, Mount Baker-Snoqualmie and other national forests.
•   Supporting efforts related to education and outreach on wildfire ecology, as well as wildfire policies that advance healthy forests and quality habitat.
•   Guide member, boardmember and volunteer participation in targeted boots on-the-ground conservation work, including habitat restoration, work parties, wildlife monitoring, Eyes In The Woods resource protection, adopting trails or habitat areas, and/or similar efforts.
•   Through the WDFW Commission or other avenues, advancing policies that appropriately regulate the sale of wildlife information, following the model of BHA Wyoming.
•   Ongoing participation in forest collaboratives to support the Chapter’s goals and BHA’s mission.
•   Continue public access easement program. 
•   Continue participation in the Columbia River Treaty negotiations
•   Other appropriate conservation issues in Washington state as they arise pending capacity and board approval.

3.    Organize Chapter boardmembers and members to interact with elected and agency leaders relevant to BHA's mission and our shared passion for public lands, waters and wildlife.
•   Including targeted letter-writing around key issues, roundtable meetings, direct lobbying when needed, relationship building, field trips, invitations to Wild Game Feeds, and other actions.

4.    Work with Education and Outreach Committees to increase awareness of conservation issues in our region, and ways to take action on behalf of Washington's public lands, waters and wildlife.

Offline ribka

• Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 05:03:46 PM »
Been a member and read the charter already but thanks jackalope

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal