collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Black tail Hunter  (Read 6593 times)

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: New Black tail Hunter
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2017, 03:21:31 PM »
 :yeah:    I think that's a better plan 7mm, especially so for the opener, and depending on weather.  If it is foggy or raining, the deer may stay in the cuts all day, given adequate cover.  If it is clear and warming, which is what the forecast calls for here, I might give up on the reprod a little earlier.  Being flexible is important.  Don't get stuck to a plan just because you thought it up a few days prior.

The last few days of the month, I'd be looking for big bucks out cruising the woods above doe bedding areas between 10:00  AM and 3:00 PM.  But hey, what do I know?  Given my success rate, doing the opposite of what I do is probably the best move anyone could make!
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline MrSmallington

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
« Reply #31 on: October 10, 2017, 03:47:39 PM »
Right oh. as I wrote that I was second guessing myself... they're bedding was in the woods.   :bash:

Offline jj-ak

• Pilgrim
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2017, 04:15:54 PM »
I will add that while still hunting always look behind you now and then. I've had deer let me walk passed them and then get up and move out of the area. I've caught a few in the act, one being a nice 3x3 that was crawling away before he realized I had busted him then he jumped up and was gone. Didn't have time to get a shot off. That guy still haunts me.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #33 on: October 10, 2017, 04:43:50 PM »
Someone can chime in if they think I'm off here, but I would do vice versa. Be in those clear cuts an hour before light until about 11:00 and then still hunt the timber until about 2:30 or 3:00 before returning to the clear cut for the evening. If you have a heavily used travel route to and from the cuts, you can sit close to those in the timber as well.

Could be.  The only real time I spend in Capitol Forest is in mid summer. 

And if that travel route is below a bedding area I would be really focused on watching it 

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #34 on: October 10, 2017, 05:28:07 PM »
Someone can chime in if they think I'm off here, but I would do vice versa. Be in those clear cuts an hour before light until about 11:00 and then still hunt the timber until about 2:30 or 3:00 before returning to the clear cut for the evening. If you have a heavily used travel route to and from the cuts, you can sit close to those in the timber as well.

Could be.  The only real time I spend in Capitol Forest is in mid summer. 

And if that travel route is below a bedding area I would be really focused on watching it

You're the Master Hunter, so correct me if I'm wrong.  My understanding of the situation:  Depending on the time of day -  as thermals kick in and start rising in the morning, you would expect cruising bucks to be downwind, (or uphill), of bedding areas.  In early morning or towards last light, when thermals are sinking/going downhill, then doe scent would hit the trails below the bedding area, and bucks would scent check below.

JD - you tagged out yet??
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline Turner89

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #35 on: October 10, 2017, 05:44:52 PM »
x2
" if your a 20 year old and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If your a 40 year old and not a conservative,  you don't have a brain"

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]