collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Should 209 primers be legal?  (Read 40617 times)

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Re: Should 209 primers be legal?
« Reply #75 on: October 05, 2017, 09:41:17 AM »
The terms “primitive” and “modern” are not necessarily two distinct points 180 degrees apart. There’s a continuous spectrum with many points between. A scoped inline muzzleloader with 209 primers is probably every bit as or more effective than an iron-sighted 30-30 lever action.

Technology has progressed in all three hunting methods: modern, muzzleloader, and archery. A case could be made that of the three muzzleloaders have progressed slower than the other two in recent years.

Where the line is drawn to limit technological advances will always be debatable.

I do think it’s important to recognize that WDFW sets season dates and lengths based on anticipated harvests, and attempts to balance opportunity and harvest between the three methods.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2017, 09:42:45 AM »
The terms “primitive” and “modern” are not necessarily two distinct points 180 degrees apart. There’s a continuous spectrum with many points between. A scoped inline muzzleloader with 209 primers is probably every bit as or more effective than an iron-sighted 30-30 lever action.

Technology has progressed in all three hunting methods: modern, muzzleloader, and archery. A case could be made that of the three muzzleloaders have progressed slower than the other two in recent years.

Where the line is drawn to limit technological advances will always be debatable.

I do think it’s important to recognize that WDFW sets season dates and lengths based on anticipated harvests, and attempts to balance opportunity and harvest between the three methods.

Every time I read your posts I feel that your Zebra is staring into my soul. :yike:

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2017, 09:44:13 AM »
So if 209 primers are no more successful or reliable than musket caps and are also, paraphrasing,  "exposed to the elements" and subject to moisture like musket caps, what then is the reason to preclude them for legit muzzleloader weapons?

Offline Sabotloader

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2017, 09:47:48 AM »
@sabotloader

Mike - I'm not as well versed as others but the term "modern" seems to be used pretty loosely here.  I mean the Henry rifle was produced 160 years ago and it would be considered a modern firearm.

Curtis

Curtis - I know exactly what you mean!  One of the things that we need to remember or think about Traditionalists and Archers are very well organized and make their presence and wishes known in the right places.  On the other hand we the regular shooters hunters - really including the bulk of the modern day rifle hunters - WE are not organized and do not offer a united front.  I compare us to the farmers of America - do you know how strong and powerful they could be it they were truly organized and united.  The problem is as with us a lot of the time, how do you tell a group of independent strong willed farmers - this is the way we are going to do it because that is the way we want you to do it!!

Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2017, 09:51:54 AM »

Not necessarily true!!!  I can get a lot of extra shots with a 30-30, actually even many more than a normal modern bolt action rifle. With a modern ML I still only get normally one good shot!  And you know what I still way prefer the ML.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 10:14:02 AM by Sabotloader »
Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2017, 09:53:06 AM »

Every time I read your posts I feel that your Zebra is staring into my soul. :yike:
It is, but I won't post what is sees. :chuckle:
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2017, 10:21:57 AM »
No
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2017, 10:55:26 AM »
Before I went to Virginia in 2012 I would have voted no.  I voted yes.  I've never been to a state that pits it's user groups against each other like this state does.  Pretty sad really, pit each user group against each other and cram everyone into certain GMUs, so more over crowding goes on.  Amazing.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2017, 11:00:52 AM »
 :yeah: That's why I voted yes. I have no dog in this fight - don't hunt or own an ML.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Jonathan_S

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Volleyfire Brigade, Cryder apologist
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2017, 11:42:05 AM »
nope
Kindly do not attempt to cloud the issue with too many facts.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2017, 11:44:39 AM »
Nope
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline The100Road

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • https://m.facebook.com/Rowdengamecalls/
« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2017, 12:08:59 PM »
Yes!

If you hunt muzzy and don't like 209 then don't use them.

If you don't hunt muzzy then why do you care what I use? If it makes it more "modern" then stop rifle hunting and switch to muzzy.

I don't archery hunt, but why would I vote no to lighted knocks and expandable broad heads? If you want to use them then go for it. If you don't then don't. Why would I care what you use as long as its not illegal?

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2017, 12:15:36 PM »
Yes!

If you don't hunt muzzy then why do you care what I use? If it makes it more "modern" then stop rifle hunting and switch to muzzy.

I don't archery hunt, but why would I vote no to lighted knocks and expandable broad heads? If you want to use them then go for it. If you don't then don't. Why would I care what you use as long as its not illegal?

The reason for the discussion being opened up is because if a change in equipment affects harvest rate then the way that WDFW will address that is by changing the Season length.  I personally think the longer ML Season is worth having to deal w/caps instead of primers being allowed.  If you think allowing 209s will not have any affect on ML Season length or you think a more reliable ignition is a fair tradeoff for having a shorter ML Season then you probably will be for the allowance of 209 primers. 

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2017, 12:38:57 PM »
Yes!

I don't think it is about being a muzzy hunter or a bowhunter.  If muzzy is someone's it thing, they have a few seasons to use it in (early muzz, modern, late muzz, bear, cougar).  There are a few guys that do go after bear with muzzy because they like using muzzy.  Mostly, it seems like trying to get as close to having a 'modern' weapon outside of the 'modern' season especially in an optimally timed season.  Basically trying to use a rifle ahead of the rifle guys.  If modern had an Oct 1-7 option for elk, how many muzzies would still be out in the woods?  If modern was Sept 15-30, what percent of current bowhunters would be switching to a rifle?

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2017, 12:54:40 PM »
The limiting factor for a muzzy is a single shot and open sites.  Keeping your powder dry is a pain and a 209 might be more reliable (I don't know, never used them), but I've never had ignition problems with No. 11 or musket caps.  Keep your powder dry and the gun goes boom every time.   :twocents:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]