collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Should 209 primers be legal?  (Read 40634 times)

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Should 209 primers be legal?
« Reply #165 on: October 18, 2017, 08:20:04 PM »
Archery has the best season.

Ha. Archery used to have the best season until it was stolen and given to the ML crowd. ML has real rut time. Archery has more days based upon lower kill rates.

Exactly what I was talking about earlier, user groups pitted against each other.  Divided we fall.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #166 on: October 18, 2017, 08:25:02 PM »

Ha. Archery used to have the best season until it was stolen and given to the ML crowd. ML has real rut time. Archery has more days based upon lower kill rates.

Exactly what I was talking about earlier, user groups pitted against each other.  Divided we fall.

I don't agree that it divides us. I don't consider myself a rifle hunter, an archery hunter, or a muzzleloader hunter. Just a hunter, and I hunt all three methods. I don't ever know which one I'm hunting until just before the special permit deadline each year when I'm forced to decide.

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #167 on: October 18, 2017, 08:25:52 PM »
I would disagree for the majority of the west side anyway. Although the Nooksack permit is a straight up gift from the heavens above for anyone with a muzzy :chuckle:

But having spent a significant amount of time during both seasons, I think overall archery has the best dates. This was certainly debatable when the season started earlier in September. But the archery season timing as is IMO is very appropriate. Both seasons fluctuate from year to year so some year the dates may have slight advantages one way or the other. Other factors not considered,  If I had to choose my season going into and including the equinox ( archery)/ or 2 plus weeks after the equinox ( the case with muzzy this year) I will always choose the first.

Well I hunted eastside archery for years and until they changed the dates archery had the best dates. Now I don't think so especially since the archery season starts so early now which is normally hotter than hell and ends normally before the rut really begins. I am a believer that cold weather starts the rut. My wife's birthday is at the end of the first week in October and I hate to tell you what a problem that caused when we were newlyweds that I was gone elk hunting every time.

Offline floatinghat

• Longhunter
« Reply #168 on: October 18, 2017, 11:06:11 PM »

Be more than happy to trade, rally support from the Archery crowd and I am pretty sure muzzy will swap.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #169 on: October 19, 2017, 08:21:59 AM »

I don't agree that it divides us. I don't consider myself a rifle hunter, an archery hunter, or a muzzleloader hunter. Just a hunter, and I hunt all three methods. I don't ever know which one I'm hunting until just before the special permit deadline each year when I'm forced to decide.

I buy multi Season deer and can hunt w/my slug guns, muzzleloader, crossbow or compound bow.  I haven't taken my slug guns out yet this year, I have taken my muzzleloader along while hunting Muzzleloader Season and set it in the back corner of my blinds (Damnable coyote/dog cross was hanging out behind a screen of brush a couple days in a row watching the same feeding area I was and I had about enough of that crap.  He hasn't been back, but neither has the deer herd that had been using that area), and haven't hunted with my crossbow yet. 

I shot a doe last Saturday, first day of Modern Firearm Season, w/my bow and when I hunt again around Halloween I will probably be hunting /my bow.  What I just don't have any time for is people who want to hunt primitive weapon seasons, for whatever reason, and then don't want to put in the time and effort to become proficient with "primitive" weapons.  And part of becoming proficient w/a muzzleloader is learning how to make percussion caps perform reliably, particularly in western Washington. 

I just haven't felt like hunting w/anything other than my bow.  About half of the properties I have been hunting are places I could use the muzzle loader or slug guns.  If I go out w/my muzzleloader one of two things will happen, either I have protected the cap from the elements and it will go off or I need to become more proficient at that aspect of hunting w/a muzzleloader. 

« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 08:49:24 AM by JDHasty »

Offline sjhgraysage

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #170 on: October 19, 2017, 08:45:37 AM »
Definitely Yes to 209 primers

Offline Alpine Mojo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #171 on: October 19, 2017, 05:09:12 PM »
I don't agree that it divides us.

Of course it does.  This thread is 7 pages long already and still growing.
Friend: "Are you free tonight?"
Me:  (Gazing into the distance as a bald eagle screeches)  "I'm always free"

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #172 on: October 19, 2017, 05:24:14 PM »

That doesn't mean only being able to hunt one season in a particular year "divides us." This discussion is only about whether 209 primers should be allowed. Everyone is free to hunt any of the three methods each year. So there's no reason for division. You like the muzzleloader season better? Then hunt that season. Next year you decide maybe modern season is better? Switch to that. Nobody's locked in to only one method. As I said, I've hunted all three and I like all three. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. We have too many hunters in this state to allow each person to hunt all three seasons. That's why we have to choose only one. What would be the other option? Probably draw only for all deer and elk hunting.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #173 on: October 19, 2017, 07:00:23 PM »

That doesn't mean only being able to hunt one season in a particular year "divides us." This discussion is only about whether 209 primers should be allowed. Everyone is free to hunt any of the three methods each year. So there's no reason for division. You like the muzzleloader season better? Then hunt that season. Next year you decide maybe modern season is better? Switch to that. Nobody's locked in to only one method. As I said, I've hunted all three and I like all three. They all have their advantages and disadvantages. We have too many hunters in this state to allow each person to hunt all three seasons. That's why we have to choose only one. What would be the other option? Probably draw only for all deer and elk hunting.

If ya' want to use 209s or even 209s and a scope, why not just hunt Modern Season.  I hunt Modern w/my bow a lot just because I want to hunt w/my bow instead of w/a slug gun or blackpowder.   

Offline Alpine Mojo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #174 on: October 19, 2017, 07:05:58 PM »
why not just hunt Modern Season.

Because it's about some people trying to stop others from doing things they don't like, no matter what the consequences.
Friend: "Are you free tonight?"
Me:  (Gazing into the distance as a bald eagle screeches)  "I'm always free"

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #175 on: October 19, 2017, 07:09:37 PM »

Because it's about some people trying to stop others from doing things they don't like, no matter what the consequences.

What about those who prefer the length of the Muzzleloader Season as it stands and are willing to put up with caps as a fair trade off.  What WDFW has come right out and said is that they expect harvest rates to increase and that in response Season length will be adjust to reflect that dynamic.   

Offline Sabotloader

• Sourdough
« Reply #176 on: October 19, 2017, 07:20:31 PM »

What about those who prefer the length of the Muzzleloader Season as it stands and are willing to put up with caps as a fair trade off.  What WDFW has come right out and said is that they expect harvest rates to increase and that in response Season length will be adjust to reflect that dynamic.

I am not sure why you feel that the use of 209 will result in a greater harvest.  If you a seasoned cap hunter you really do not have any problems with ignition. So the belief that a 209 might save you from misfires or no-fires is probably not a significant factor.

I feel season dates, weather, available units, and open sights are the greater factors in determining harvest totals.

Keep shooting muzzleloaders - They are a blast!!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #177 on: October 19, 2017, 07:22:57 PM »

If ya' want to use 209s or even 209s and a scope, why not just hunt Modern Season.  I hunt Modern w/my bow a lot just because I want to hunt w/my bow instead of w/a slug gun or blackpowder.

Well, that would be an option I guess, for those who have a muzzleloader set up to use 209s. I don't. However, if the WDFW makes 209s legal for muzzleloader season, I will convert my muzzleloader to use them.

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #178 on: October 19, 2017, 07:30:36 PM »

For some it is not about about keeping the sport of hunting pure and fair chase. Its about killing as many animals as possible with the best season with total disregard as to the remaining animal population. Modifying "primitive weapons" until they are modern weapons should result in everyone hunting the same season with a lot less animals. Look how many ML's want to put scopes on their weapons. Enjoy what you have because it isn't going to get any better especially when you improve the weapon's lethality.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #179 on: October 19, 2017, 07:45:10 PM »

I am not sure why you feel that the use of 209 will result in a greater harvest.  If you a seasoned cap hunter you really do not have any problems with ignition. So the belief that a 209 might save you from misfires or no-fires is probably not a significant factor.

I feel season dates, weather, available units, and open sights are the greater factors in determining harvest totals.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal