collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Ghost camp  (Read 20937 times)

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Ghost camp
« Reply #120 on: October 10, 2017, 06:14:52 PM »
I also really enjoy it when people put a little pup tent up right at the head of a skid road or park an old vehicle there and try to make people think that someone's down the road so no one hunts it and drives right by
Plenty of scams out there

Yeah, fair amount of no trespassing signs on public property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Ridgeratt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Old Salt
  • IBEW 73 (Retired) Burden on the working class.
« Reply #121 on: October 10, 2017, 07:01:32 PM »
I set my camp up the end of September and will be there until the end of late buck.   :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL:

You must have a nice camp. Probably hot and cold running water.

Yes I have hot and cold water in my trailer. Doesn't everyone? Besides this way I get a parking spot also.

Offline Snakeriver10

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #122 on: October 10, 2017, 08:07:47 PM »
Isn't this better than the old days when my great uncles would pack in sinks, pipes to be able to run springs into camp, 55 gallon barrels for storage, etc and leave them there for years?       What about the guys who legitimately build small cabins for camps and I stumble upon them while goofing around?      Ghost camps simply tell me I don't need to hunt around that area. 

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #123 on: October 10, 2017, 08:14:08 PM »
Isn't this better than the old days when my great uncles would pack in sinks, pipes to be able to run springs into camp, 55 gallon barrels for storage, etc and leave them there for years?       What about the guys who legitimately build small cabins for camps and I stumble upon them while goofing around?      Ghost camps simply tell me I don't need to hunt around that area.

If I stumble upon a cabin in wilderness. I’m marking it on gps and will use it if empty. I’ve found a couple. But a napkin would shield me better from the weather. Then them broken down things would.

Offline E35alex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #124 on: October 11, 2017, 07:19:52 AM »
I wish more of you would setup ghost camps.  Then I could scout the good areas from my truck without have to hike  :chuckle: :chuckle:

I do that every year before the opener. Dead give away!  :chuckle:
The closer I get to nature, the farther I am from idiots.

Offline TheHunt

• Old Salt
« Reply #125 on: October 11, 2017, 08:10:07 AM »
From the responses on this thread, I think there are many people on this site and this thread who use the Ghost Camp as a method.  It shows how popular this approach is to saving a camp site.
275 down 2

Online b0bbyg

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #126 on: October 11, 2017, 08:53:18 AM »
Wow, good thing I bought a large bag of popcorn. :chuckle:

Is it hard to just find another spot??? There's plenty of other spots past that one that I think are better. But that's just me. :chuckle:

When you draw basically a GOV tag every year, a SPOT should not be an issue :IBCOOL:

I know right?! They should just let those of us that "Draw GOV tags" camp where ever we want, anytime we want. :chuckle:

Why don't you just "Draw a parking/camping Permit" as a match to your Gov tag.   :IBCOOL: :IBCOOL: :chuckle:
In God we trust, all others bring cash.

Do not say, Why were the old days better than these? For it is not wise to ask such questions.
Ecclesiastes 7 10

Offline Elkcollector82

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #127 on: October 11, 2017, 10:05:00 AM »
Here’s something to think about. Some are up in arms about a ghost camp where you drive to. But what about all the guys that hunt the backcountry and scout all summer long. They find a nice little area to call home for the season. So week before the season you put a weeks worth of gear in a pack and hike back 5,8,10 even 14 miles. To come into the area you scouted out three months earlier. Loan and behold you see an outfitters camp their. Not a soul around. They had a ghost camp set up. Now remember you packed in a week early to scout tell opening day. These guys set up camps early and they know they won’t be occupied tell day or two before season. But yet you don’t see nor hear anything about this. Why is that?

Not that I care cause I always have a few spots picked out. I just move on to the next one. But it’s funny how some are up in arms over a sight you DROVE to. Drive to a new one then.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #128 on: October 11, 2017, 12:00:28 PM »
Haven't witnessed that. The outfitters I know usually take people in a day or 2 before season. Some a little earlier but those might be guys who want to fish, camp, or bear hunt before the season opens. I have no problem with that. If you don't like it get away from the trail.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Elkcollector82

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #129 on: October 11, 2017, 01:58:42 PM »
Haven't witnessed that. The outfitters I know usually take people in a day or 2 before season. Some a little earlier but those might be guys who want to fish, camp, or bear hunt before the season opens. I have no problem with that. If you don't like it get away from the trail.

Bahahahahaha. Get away from the trail. That’s cute.

Offline jagermiester

• Longhunter
  • My family is my life
« Reply #130 on: October 11, 2017, 02:38:21 PM »
Here’s something to think about. Some are up in arms about a ghost camp where you drive to. But what about all the guys that hunt the backcountry and scout all summer long. They find a nice little area to call home for the season. So week before the season you put a weeks worth of gear in a pack and hike back 5,8,10 even 14 miles. To come into the area you scouted out three months earlier. Loan and behold you see an outfitters camp their. Not a soul around. They had a ghost camp set up. Now remember you packed in a week early to scout tell opening day. These guys set up camps early and they know they won’t be occupied tell day or two before season. But yet you don’t see nor hear anything about this. Why is that?

Not that I care cause I always have a few spots picked out. I just move on to the next one. But it’s funny how some are up in arms over a sight you DROVE to. Drive to a new one then.

What if you made your way into the draw and no camp was set up but there was signs and red tape up that said Ephrata boy's outfitters  (reserved)
Lead em if they're running.

Offline Elkcollector82

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #131 on: October 11, 2017, 03:03:48 PM »

What if you made your way into the draw and no camp was set up but there was signs and red tape up that said Ephrata boy's outfitters  (reserved)

With or without a $10 tent inside ribbon?

Offline Naches Sportsman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #132 on: October 11, 2017, 03:07:57 PM »

Usually an outfitter has permission in their issued usfs permits that permit them to put and leave camps up throughout the season.  Same with some public back country camps have/had usfs issues permits to leave camps up.

Offline Elkcollector82

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #133 on: October 11, 2017, 03:14:13 PM »

Usually an outfitter has permission in their issued usfs permits that permit them to put and leave camps up throughout the season.  Same with some public back country camps have/had usfs issues permits to leave camps up.

Good info. Thanks. Never knew that. Nor did I take time to look into it. Cause honestly never bothered me. I just “got off the trail” even more

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #134 on: October 11, 2017, 03:40:36 PM »
Guys complain about people leaving items in the woods all year.
Then the same folks complaining leave dozens of cameras in the woods for the whole year.

Seems like both parties are littering to me.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]