collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Who has a Kelly kettle?  (Read 1395 times)

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Who has a Kelly kettle?
« on: October 10, 2017, 10:31:13 AM »
www.kellykettleusa.com

I bought one of these because I saw a guy use one once and was inspired to get one. Couldn't use it for archery elk/deer in the mountains this year. I haven't really used mine yet for camping or hunting, so what do you all think about them? Your experiences pro and con.

When the fire bands lift and everything is wetter can you find enough dry stuff to make the work well?
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Who has a Kelly kettle?
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 10:52:20 AM »
That's what has kept me from buying one.  All the videos I have seen are in summer, not in eastern Montana with two feet of snow and -10 or in WA when it has rained for days straight and all you want is a quick cup of coffee before putting a sneak on an animal.

I still want one though!   :chuckle:

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 11:12:34 AM »
I think I may have to give this a winter time test up in the hills that get real doses of rain.

Perhaps there is enough dry branches  to break off and use,  but I would imagine in a "dry" snowy area they will work better than the hills around here that get 100+" of rain a year.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 11:38:11 AM »
That looks pretty slick.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline Special T

• Business Sponsor
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 11:44:25 AM »
I think so. It combines 2 very important factors. Rocket stoves are very efficient with their heat and fuel... and even if your cooking on top of it you always need hot purified water for drinking or washing up.

Confucius

Offline pygmy1985

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 01:02:33 PM »
I have a Kelly Kettle and it's great!  Can heat up water in it pretty quickly with small sticks, bark, paper and whatever burns.   It's well built.  I've used it on rainy and windy days under a tarp or vestibule; you don't have to make an open fire.  The fire is in a little pot that the kettle sits on and you feed fuel in from the top or beneath. The kids really love it because they can help stoke the fire!  Of course, my MSR Pocket Rocket is more convenient, but not as fun.

Offline fish vacuum

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 10:53:28 PM »
I have one but have only used it on a few times and in good conditions. For wet trips you could stuff some dry kindling inside it at home and use that to get the fire going. I make sawdust fire starters for my woodstove and would probably take one along if planning to use the kettle in wet weather.
They are pretty eat and they boil water in no time.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal