collapse

Advertisement

Poll

Is it time to push for a new system, draw, alternating year, etc?

No
Yes

Author Topic: Washington State Mule Deer Hunting Future (poll)  (Read 40019 times)

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Washington State Mule Deer Hunting Future (poll)
« Reply #240 on: December 07, 2017, 05:35:32 AM »
Well looks like its time for some hunters to write to the governor stating if this practice is no longer acceptable then a larger spring bear hunt needs to be instituted. Like that will happen.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline Ironhead

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #241 on: December 07, 2017, 06:54:35 AM »
Predators are a problem yes, people are the real problem!
"The problem with quotes on Internet Forums is, that it is often difficult to verify their authenticity." - Abraham Lincoln

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #242 on: December 07, 2017, 01:01:28 PM »
 :yeah:
Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #243 on: December 07, 2017, 01:10:19 PM »
I don't see why wdfw can't put a bounty on coyotes and other predators that may be hurting our mule deer,with more of open season on some also other states don't seem to have a problem.

I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #244 on: December 07, 2017, 04:54:38 PM »
I don't see why wdfw can't put a bounty on coyotes and other predators that may be hurting our mule deer,with more of open season on some also other states don't seem to have a problem.

If Washington for wildlife can't get a permit to run an online derby for bragging rights in a timely manner... What makes you think a bounty system has a snow cones chance in Hell?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline hunter399

• Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #245 on: December 07, 2017, 05:53:49 PM »

If Washington for wildlife can't get a permit to run an online derby for bragging rights in a timely manner... What makes you think a bounty system has a snow cones chance in Hell?

Just another example of our great state at work,you can thank some of the anti hunting people for wdfw lack of wanting coyote derby. :twocents:

I think this artical is a few years old ,can explain why wdfw might drag there feet on your derby.

http://nwsportsmanmag.com/wdfw-hearing-it-from-both-sides-on-ne-wa-coyote-derby/
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #246 on: December 07, 2017, 06:23:32 PM »

Just another example of our great state at work,you can thank some of the anti hunting people for wdfw lack of wanting coyote derby. :twocents:

I think this artical is a few years old ,can explain why wdfw might drag there feet on your derby.

http://nwsportsmanmag.com/wdfw-hearing-it-from-both-sides-on-ne-wa-coyote-derby/

:bash:  just go out and kill Em without a derby. :twocents:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #247 on: December 07, 2017, 06:26:35 PM »

Genius! :chuckle:
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:44:23 PM by huntnphool »
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #248 on: December 07, 2017, 06:41:37 PM »
For those of you that actually think baiting and/or hound use will EVER be allowed in this state again.

http://www.king5.com/article/tech/science/environment/timber-farm-bear-hunts-illegal-humane-society-says/281-497147713

Yep phool, I,m afraid its true, we probably won't see hound hunting again until maulings, attacks and such start to occur :dunno:, and the public demands that something be done and even then who knows :dunno:, bears and cougar have already populated to the point they are showing up in neighborhoods and other higher "people" populated areas and the majority seems to think they are "so cute" and "how cool" etc. etc. etc. :bash:

@bigmacc your inbox is full.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #249 on: December 07, 2017, 06:43:11 PM »

I know, it’s tough sometimes being so practical, and smart. :chuckle:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline huntnphool

• Legend
« Reply #250 on: December 07, 2017, 06:45:15 PM »

I know, it’s tough sometimes being so practical, and smart. :chuckle:

:chuckle:

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #251 on: December 07, 2017, 07:01:03 PM »
For those of you that actually think baiting and/or hound use will EVER be allowed in this state again.

http://www.king5.com/article/tech/science/environment/timber-farm-bear-hunts-illegal-humane-society-says/281-497147713

Yep phool, I,m afraid its true, we probably won't see hound hunting again until maulings, attacks and such start to occur :dunno:, and the public demands that something be done and even then who knows :dunno:, bears and cougar have already populated to the point they are showing up in neighborhoods and other higher "people" populated areas and the majority seems to think they are "so cute" and "how cool" etc. etc. etc. :bash:

@bigmacc your inbox is full.

:tup:

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #252 on: December 14, 2017, 05:51:47 AM »
This is the 1st time in my 37 year hunting career that I have not notched a WA deer tag, not for lack of trying.
I voted no, and am sticking with it.........until I see a comprehensive plan.

There are multiple issues affecting the MD herds, addressing 1 or 2 of them (doe harvest/ every other year hunting) etc. is not the fixall  IMO.

I believe the vast majority of these issues (wolves is not one of them) can be achieved with a bit of coming together from all sides/positions of each issue. If all sides are willing to give a little, I feel that all sides can get a bit of what will make them happy, and more importantly, will benefit the herds in the long run.

I have what I believe is a well thought out plan, but it is still bouncing around in my head, I work 2 jobs and am trying to find the time to get it all compiled on paper.

Here are a couple of glimpses;
Some do not want to give up multi permits. They need to go bye bye, too much additional pressure.

Reduce time afield for all user groups. Allows all an opportunity to hunt, but takes away additional pressure/harvest.

Taking pressure off 1 herd (ie Methow) will only put more pressure on others (robbing Peter to pay Paul.)  :bash:

Reduce Late permit quotas. Cant keep taking out the good breeders

Stopping all antlerless(doe) hunts will only serve to overpopulate holding capacities of limited habitat.

That is only a very small portion of issues that need to be addressed, (and that are still in my head) :chuckle:

Wolves is one of the problems. We just have not seen it yet.....

Wolves are the number one problem, then cougars, coyotes and spring bears on the fawning grounds.

It's getting to the point that those who "can't see it", won't have a choice.

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #253 on: December 22, 2017, 08:30:29 AM »
In my opinion acts of nature such as bad winters and disease outbreaks cause the biggest reductions in ungulate numbers. Predators including humans, cougar, coyotes, bear, and wolves have a constant impact and can prevent herds from ever reaching their potential, but most importantly too many predators can prevent herds from quickly rebounding after acts of nature reduce herd numbers.

Currently there are so many other predators in WA that a reduction of buck or bull hunting by humans is probably not going to cause herds to rebound that much quicker. However, I'm in favor of eliminating doe/cow hunting to help herds rebound because it's commonly known, increase antlerless harvest to reduce herd numbers, reduce antlerless harvest to allow herds to grow.

WDFW cougar harvest objectives are based very conservatively on historic harvest numbers. The problem is that there are probably two to three times as many cougar than there were when hound hunting was open. Therefore to achieve an equal harvest percentage two or three times as many cougar need to be taken than the historic average in WA. Due to low fur prices coyote harvest is down and coyote numbers have grown, bear numbers have grown after hounds and baiting was halted, and wolves have been added to the landscape. There is no way for herds to rebound quickly even if hunters quit hunting bucks and bulls all together.

To rebound herds quicker antlerless harvest should be eliminated and predator numbers need to be reduced!  :twocents:

I voted "no". I think eliminating annual buck and bull hunting opportunities will only reduce the number of hunters in Washington and do little to replenish herds.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Ade

• Pilgrim
« Reply #254 on: December 24, 2017, 06:40:23 PM »
I voted no simply because there are other alternatives. I maybe nieve but I think our liscense fees do help with conservation.

1. Transparency on what our hunting fees are spent on, including a vehicle for hunters to vote on major projects.
2. Proactive forest management instead of reactive increasing habitat and survival rates
3.  Allow dogs for bear and cougar
4. Delist wolves

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]