collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: GMU 204 Hot Areas, Campsite Availablity  (Read 2668 times)

Offline Jacksprat90

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: USFS
GMU 204 Hot Areas, Campsite Availablity
« on: October 11, 2017, 01:44:21 PM »
Hi all, I am about to head out to GMU 204, East Okanogan for 10 days for modern firearm season. A buddy and I got drawn for a second deer permit. Personally, I have never been to the area except to drive through on HWY 20 and didn't have a chance to get out there and do some scouting.

I was hoping some of you had some info on where you would focus on for hunts? Looking at the map we were thinking about camping somewhere around Ferry or Swan lake, but I have heard some good things about the Bonaparte Lake area.

Does anybody know the likelihood of getting a good spot for base camp? We will have three RVs and a few tents to set up. 10 people are going, but only 5 are hunting. Are the campgrounds going to be too full if I get there on Friday at around noon? I am specifically thinking about Ferry or Swan Lake. The non-hunters want to fish while we are there. Are there many options for dispersed camping?

I really hope I can fill both tags. I have been hunting for 24 years, except for the 8 years I was on active duty, but at this point even just getting a doe would be great. I have never shot a deer and have only even sighted down one buck that I passed on because it was too small. I swear I am not a bad hunter, I just have really bad luck on public land, especially since I hunt with old guys that can't hear or see well.

Anything helps. I need meat in the freezer to alleviate some grocery bills.

Thanks!

Offline TeacherMan

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
Re: GMU 204 Hot Areas, Campsite Availablity
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 02:01:50 PM »
I lived up there for a long time to the West of it in Curlew. My biggest whitetail comes from there. I would focus on the lower country around Bonaparte Lake. The camp ground there as well is a good base camp. Beaver Lake camp ground is also pretty nice and beautiful country!!! I'm thinking of heading up their for the second weekend myself. As for hunting the area is thick with deer and you really don't need to get a long way off the road, you just need to get out of your truck. I cant tell you how many deer I've seen lay down or slide off into the timber when a vehicle is coming to reappear only a couple min later. Good luck and have a blast!
If you shoot the first one you will never get that true trophy.

Offline Jacksprat90

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: USFS
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 02:19:50 PM »
Thanks for the info TeacherMan. Have you had any experience around Ferry and Swan Lake? I have been hearing a lot about that Bonaparte area. I think I might have to convince some of the others in our group that we need to be farther north west.

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 02:26:21 PM »
PM sent, click on "my messages" near the top of the page.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline TeacherMan

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 03:31:11 PM »
Thanks for the info TeacherMan. Have you had any experience around Ferry and Swan Lake? I have been hearing a lot about that Bonaparte area. I think I might have to convince some of the others in our group that we need to be farther north west.

Its a good area as well. There are several old burns in there that I see a good mix of whitetail and mule deer in. Only drawback is you really cant hunt south of that point because the reservation. TONS of bears.
If you shoot the first one you will never get that true trophy.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]