collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Considerations for Quality Elk Points  (Read 3193 times)

Offline Mossyoak

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF
Considerations for Quality Elk Points
« on: October 11, 2017, 06:26:40 PM »
I have been putting in for hard to draw hunts for 16 years, like many other people on this site. I have low Bull Elk points and cow points. I took the family into the woods last weekend and it got me thinking about what to do next year with my draw hunts. My son just turned 5 and is showing a lot of interest in hunting. I am thinking about putting in for ghost points for the next 4 or 5 years, I really would like to share it with him.  Though probably still won't ever draw one! Am I crazy? I am thinking about focusing on out of state elk in the mean time. I have quite some time left to hunt but the tags are only getting harder and harder to draw....Is there anyone else out there who has done this?

Offline X-Force

• Solo Hunter
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Old Salt
Re: Considerations for Quality Elk Points
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 06:42:39 PM »
So are you thinking of putting in as a group hunt on an easier to draw tag with you son when he gets to be hunting age?
People get offended at nothing at all. So, speak your mind and be unapologetic.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 06:47:48 PM »
I would put in with your son now, he can do youth and quality elk at the same time.  If you want to hunt with your family or son every year, don't rely on the draw system to have good hunts w your family.  You'll just get old quick!  I'm on 22 years for quality elk and bull, if I had to do it over, I wouldn't put my hunting adventures on drawing a permit!  If you have the money, take your family to Idaho and make it a yearly hunt, you can kill deer, elk, does at the same time.  Or just plan your hunts in Washington every year that dont need special permits.  Drawing a special permit in this state is only going to get tougher, stay young and don't wait to draw to build memories, it's just not worth it. 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Mossyoak

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 06:52:06 PM »
I was thinking of putting in with him or trying to draw it alone. I definitely won't be waiting for the draw, it seems like the tough draws are almost like OIL tags anymore. I am using WA as a supplement to my hunting year...depending on draws. I will be going to Idaho with him when he is old enough. That's where we went last weekend. Thanks for the input.

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 06:54:23 PM »
If it was me. I would continue to put in for the hunts. Now when your son becomes of age to hunt. I would still put in for them and have him in youth hunt draws. Once you do draw that tag you been trying for all these years. Your son probably would have drawn a couple youth tags for elk and deer by then. So I would then start putting in for hunts together.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 07:01:34 PM »
I was thinking of putting in with him or trying to draw it alone. I definitely won't be waiting for the draw, it seems like the tough draws are almost like OIL tags anymore. I am using WA as a supplement to my hunting year...depending on draws. I will be going to Idaho with him when he is old enough. That's where we went last weekend. Thanks for the input.
idaho has cheap youth tags, like 35.00.  Think they are called mentor tags, I'd take advantage of that.

Offline HookedOnQuack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 07:05:44 PM »
idaho has cheap youth tags, like 35.00.  Think they are called mentor tags, I'd take advantage of that.
:yeah: My son is 11 and just passed hunters ed this summer and thats what i will be doing with him. I have a few really nice bucks on trail cams and as much as i would like to tag it myself im more excited to see what he gets this year!

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 07:09:09 PM »
:yeah: My son is 11 and just passed hunters ed this summer and thats what i will be doing with him. I have a few really nice bucks on trail cams and as much as i would like to tag it myself im more excited to see what he gets this year!

:yeah: all about the kids. I’d be way more excited for my son to bunch a tag verses me. I’ve been there, done that. It’s his turn.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 07:12:17 PM »
I would put in with your son now, he can do youth and quality elk at the same time.  If you want to hunt with your family or son every year, don't rely on the draw system to have good hunts w your family.  You'll just get old quick!  I'm on 22 years for quality elk and bull, if I had to do it over, I wouldn't put my hunting adventures on drawing a permit!  If you have the money, take your family to Idaho and make it a yearly hunt, you can kill deer, elk, does at the same time.  Or just plan your hunts in Washington every year that dont need special permits.  Drawing a special permit in this state is only going to get tougher, stay young and don't wait to draw to build memories, it's just not worth it.
His son will need to pass hunter education and get a hunting license in order to apply for an elk permit or point in Washington  ;)
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2017, 07:16:09 PM »
His son will need to pass hunter education and get a hunting license in order to apply for an elk permit or point in Washington  ;)
Absolutley, to keep hunting he needs the class and to hunt in Idaho.  But he can hunt one year without the class.

Offline HookedOnQuack

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 07:23:55 PM »
All you need in WA to apply for points is a WILD ID number, they have to be ghost points but you dont need hunters ed or a liscense

Offline carlyoungs

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 07:32:24 PM »

Only for OILS
All you need in WA to apply for points is a WILD ID number, they have to be ghost points but you dont need hunters ed or a liscense

Offline carlyoungs

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2017, 07:33:09 PM »
Only for OILS

Offline NRA4LIFE

• Site Sponsor
  • Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2017, 07:33:22 PM »
Start putting him on for youth points!  Elk, deer, moose, etc.  Wild ID is all you need.
Look man, some times you just gotta roll the dice

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2017, 07:34:50 PM »
You can't apply for deer, elk, or bear special permits without first buying a hunting license for each one.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal