collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: A few questions on unit 636 Skok  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Natas5150

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
A few questions on unit 636 Skok
« on: October 12, 2017, 06:59:01 AM »
So on Sunday I drove out to Matlock area to do some scouting which is apart of the Skokomish unit 636. I saw gates with no trespassing signs all over. I took a left at the four way intersection in Matlock and headed back to Brady. I did see a bunch of clear cuts but again no trespassing signs. I did not stop to read what the sign actually said just could see it saying no trespassing. Over the last few days I have done research on the area believing all that land out there couldn't be private. So i went to Green Diamond website and looked at a map of the area which showed it was all private but you could apply for a permit to gain access to these areas. Has anyone done this and can I still apply for a permit or is it to late in the season? Is there public land out there that i missed? I did not go right which would lead up into the Olympics. Is there public or private land out that way? The areas I normally hunt are public land such as the Pope and Talbot land in and around Kitsap and Mason counties. i have also hunted above the Skok river near the high steel bridge which is public. Problem is in these areas I tend to see a lot of hunters :bash: So is it worth the $125 to pay for access to the Green Diamond land? And are the permits taken for this season?

Thanks in advance.

Offline onmygame

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: A few questions on unit 636 Skok
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 07:18:12 AM »
Everything south of the Matlock / Deckerville Rd and Shelton / Matlock Rd owned by Green Diamond is Permit Only.

North of these roads are a series of USFS roads that traverse Green Diamond land - and all are part of the Dot System, where Green Dotted gates are open to motor vehicles, and Red Dotted gates are walk in only.

There is a TON of land open to the public that goes all the way up and into the Olympic Natl Forest.

Lots of pressure, mostly road hunters, so getting off the road or choosing a Red Dotted gate to hunt is your best option. Just don't block the gate as there are brush pickers with bobtail trucks as well as low boys and log trucks that need to get through at times.

I was out there day before yesterday, and my boys are out there today. We haven't seen as many deer this year but have all taken grouse and have also picked some nice chanterelles.

Before you enter any gate - stop to read the sign - they vary, and all gates have them.

Safe hunting.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: A few questions on unit 636 Skok
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 11:25:59 AM »
http://apps.wdfw.wa.gov/gohunt/

On the drop-down on the U/R corner of the map, if you choose "public land", you can find a place to hunt in your area.  Pope and Talbot lands are not public lands - they just allow access to their commercial timberlands without a trespass fee.

Also, you prob. need to call Green Diamond to determine whether they still have permits for sale. 
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]