collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Firearm restricted elk area  (Read 6042 times)

Offline Badhabit

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: Firearm restricted elk area
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 06:04:02 PM »
Remember the guy that shot they well known bull near Ellensburg and he had his ticket dismissed do to an ambiguity in the regs? You've got a slam dunk case if you get cited. Apparently there's not a clear definition for your area so get ya some.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 06:20:12 PM »
Remember the guy that shot they well known bull near Ellensburg and he had his ticket dismissed do to an ambiguity in the regs? You've got a slam dunk case if you get cited. Apparently there's not a clear definition for your area so get ya some.
That hunter also ended up with five figures of attorneys fees...
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2017, 06:52:49 PM »
Im not hunting archery season. I am hunting modern firearm elk with my modern firearm elk tag in a modern firearm unit with a small section of it limited to archery equipment lol. Im just going to use my compound bow but wdfw needs to clarify this situation. Crossbows are capable of reaching a lot further a lot more accurately.

If you are hunting during Modern Season w/a modern tag you can use your crossbow.  No question about it.   

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2017, 07:15:18 PM »
Im not hunting archery season. I am hunting modern firearm elk with my modern firearm elk tag in a modern firearm unit with a small section of it limited to archery equipment lol. Im just going to use my compound bow but wdfw needs to clarify this situation. Crossbows are capable of reaching a lot further a lot more accurately.

If you are hunting during Modern Season w/a modern tag you can use your crossbow.  No question about it.
Firearm Restriction Areas can have unique restrictions.

Offline dreamunelk

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2017, 08:00:20 PM »
Sometimes there are local regulations also.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2017, 08:03:30 PM »
I am not aware of a single firearm restricted area that allows archery that makes a distinction betw/vertical bows and crossbows. 

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2017, 08:03:57 PM »

There used to be a hunt (might still be available) near squim that was shotgun with slugs only. Each area can be quite unique.
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2017, 08:06:13 PM »

There used to be a hunt (might still be available) near squim that was shotgun with slugs only. Each area can be quite unique.

I had a friend who hunted elk in that vicinity and IIRC he could choose to use bow, muzzleloader or slug gun. 

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2017, 08:15:33 PM »
Alright folks. Wdfw got back to me super fast this time. According to them you cant use a crossbow in that area. They said it would be like hunting one unit thats open for modern with a crossbow and crossing into another thats only open for archery and trying to use a crossbow when not disabled. It makes no sense to me but thats the answer they gave me. I told them that they need to fully clarify that in the regulations since it is a modern firearm elk area that is just firearm restricted down to archery equipment. Thats our wonderful wdfw for ya. In any case i hope everyone had or has a successful elk season! I just need a 3 pt or antlerless to get 60 yards or closer to me and my bow and hopefully i can tag my first elk! Good luck everyone!

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2017, 08:18:51 PM »
Alright folks. Wdfw got back to me super fast this time. According to them you cant use a crossbow in that area. They said it would be like hunting one unit thats open for modern with a crossbow and crossing into another thats only open for archery and trying to use a crossbow when not disabled. It makes no sense to me but thats the answer they gave me. I told them that they need to fully clarify that in the regulations since it is a modern firearm elk area that is just firearm restricted down to archery equipment. Thats our wonderful wdfw for ya. In any case i hope everyone had or has a successful elk season! I just need a 3 pt or antlerless to get 60 yards or closer to me and my bow and hopefully i can tag my first elk! Good luck everyone!
No it doesnt make sense but at least you got a definitive answer and can plan  accordingly. Good luck.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2017, 08:24:12 PM »
Actually it does make sense, because a crossbow, under Washington state law, is not "archery equipment." So it completely makes sense that they would say a crossbow wouldn't be allowed there. Which is ridiculous, and they really need to work on changing that so that a crossbow would be legal during modern season in that firearm restriction area.

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2017, 08:33:41 PM »
Yes it makes sense in that regards but not in the sense that firearm restricted areas are restricted to implements with less range for safety reasons. It's not about harvest success which is the issue with general archery seasosn. Crossbows don't shoot any further than compounds.

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2017, 08:50:04 PM »
Could it be a case of when making the changes regarding crossbows and their use, it maybe just got skipped in that particular situation? 

Kind of like the one time conflict over revolver vs semi-auto's in firearm restricted areas, when in general areas, semi-auto's meeting the handgun requirements could be used, but they were not added to the firearm restricted definition until later, which at the time limited handguns to revolvers only.

Possibly contact the commission, using that example of a conflict and seemingly unnecessary restriction and request to add crossbows in that particular described area, provided that King Co. has nothing in their firearm restrictions that would be inconflict...?
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2017, 09:01:53 PM »
Yep, probably just an oversight. All they probably need to do is to change a couple words somewhere and make crossbows legal in any firearm restriction area during modern firearm season. As it should be.

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2017, 08:18:26 PM »
There is good news for that particular area I was hunting for elk. According to the local WDFW biologist there are far too many elk and not enough being taken out of the area. He is going to push to open the area up to shotguns with slugs and maybe muzzle loaders. I'm only doing modern firearm until I can get my quality or any bull tag for the white river unit then its back to pure archery for me. Fingers crossed that they change the regs a little for that area so we can have a better chance during modern. I had a 5x5 hang up at 100 yards out there this year and then walk away from me. If I had a shotgun with slugs or my .50 cal hawkens I could have smoked him but that's hunting!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]