collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Found**** hunting rifle  (Read 11652 times)

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: Found**** hunting rifle
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2017, 05:24:54 PM »
This other new member is required to give you a trade count thumbs up and thankyou as tribute...
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Dick in the Dirt

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2017, 06:16:44 PM »
I've talked to him and it is his gun. We are meeting up tomorrow. Thank you Dick in the Dirt for putting me in contact. His story his epic!!!!!!
Welcome :tup:

Offline Watimberghost

• Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2017, 06:23:40 PM »
Really cool!

Offline DeerThug

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2017, 07:37:19 PM »
This is cool.  it is easy to get distracted.  Once me and my son were glassing deer.  were sitting in front of the truck doing so.  got hungry and went to the back of the truck for lunch.  then decided to head out to next spot.  Hopped into the truck and headed out.  went like 10 feet and the front of the truck went over a 'bump' and i heard a crunch.  it was the spotting scope and tripod.  totally done. 

another time i lost a good set of binoculars.  No idea where they went.  Just gone.

It is the price of doing stuff.

It can happen to anyone.

Shoot straight Shoot often

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2017, 08:12:19 PM »
Great story!

Lots of good people on here.

Archer0135..........     :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup: :tup:
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline Wetside Brushbeater

• Pilgrim
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2017, 08:35:41 PM »
About 14-15 years ago was hunting in the same area down elbow road and we were camped there my buddy's and I, we were 16-17 -18 years old and couple older guys were hunting there for the day walk or so in a car I think
It was like lunch time we were back at camp eating and the guys came down the hill passenger leaned riffle on the car they got in and left we saw it happen we were shocked and started to point towards them and walk there way they just waved and kept going we got the gun and didn't know what to do except take it to town sheriff but we waited the rest of the day there and few hours later towards dark the car was back looking for the gun I jumped up got the gun out of my truck started walking his way he saw me walking towards him and headed my way reaching in back pocket pulled out wallet gave me  $100 and said thank you more then I could count in 5 minutes I think that was a 270 pump action and will never forget something like that and would do the same if I was in his shoes honesty pays off great ending to a sad moment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline hunting4sanity

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2017, 08:48:58 PM »
Great job archer, now if Huntinman can get just as lucky.
Haven't lost a gun, but I did take my son hunting once and left the rifle at home - he still likes to remind me of that from time to time.
Disappointments are inevitable, misery is optional.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2017, 08:55:40 PM »
Good on you Archer for doing the right thing... But, for the life of me, I cannot understand why anybody would leave their boomstick leaning/leaving against a tree during the hunt but heck, I've experienced some bonehead moments myself through out my few years of hunting... Again, good on you mister! 
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2017, 08:57:19 PM »
What a good deal!

Best lost rifle story I ever heard was a friend of mine up in Alaska lost his rifle in a big beaver pond while moose hunting. I don't remember the details of how he lost it, might have fallen out of the airboat. But the next year he was hunting in the same area and found his rifle in the middle of a beaver dam. The beaver had picked it u from the bottom of the pond and used it in the construction of the dam. As an added bonus, he also was featured in many hunting mags in an ad for the scope company who made his scope. (don't remember which company either) Evidently the scope still worked perfectly well and he wrote to the company to thank them for making such a quality/waterproof scope. They took his story and made an ad about it.
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2017, 09:03:36 PM »
Just did a little searching and found out it was a Leupold scope and the story was better than I remembered. The rifle was lost 3 1/2 years and a friend of my friend found it. It's the second story at this link.

https://www.leupold.com/stories/the-best-warranty-youll-never-use
A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears. ~ Michel de Montaigne

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2017, 09:38:35 AM »
I've talked to him and it is his gun. We are meeting up tomorrow. Thank you Dick in the Dirt for putting me in contact. His story is epic!!!!!!

Lets hear his story!

Or have him come on here and tell it?
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2017, 10:36:40 AM »
You get distracted

I left a nice little 20 ga bird gun between the ribs on my Brahma canopy at Scatter Creek North and got on the freeway @ Hwy 12

I was heading down I-5 and remembered that I left the gun on top of the truck, pulled into the rest stop and walked back to the rear of the truck and grabbed it and put it in the case in the truck bed and got back in and drove away.  There were a bunch of people staring at me putting the gun away and I wasn't really in the mood to explain how it came to be that I was driving down the freeway with a gun sitting loose on top of my truck. 

Offline archer0135

• Tracker
« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2017, 11:12:17 AM »
Today I was able to hand him rifle back

Offline Sitka_Blacktail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2017, 11:25:22 AM »
I love a happy ending.

Offline archer0135

• Tracker
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2017, 11:43:56 AM »
This is the story told by his daughter on facebook:

There are still good, honest people out there.

My dad left and went hunting in Winthrop last week, he brought his rifle with him that he always brings. The rifle my Grandpa bought in 1960 that my Dad shot his first deer with when he was just a boy in 1968. My Grandpa gave him the rifle in 1986 and my Dad has used it ever since when he goes hunting every year... well this year he cut his trip short. He was up in the mountains talking to some other hunters and ended up leaving his rifle behind, went back to see if it was still there and it wasn't. Due to the sentimental value this rifle holds my dad decided to come home because he was so upset, he doesn't have many things left behind from his Dad and this was one of the things that meant a lot to him. My mom posted on Facebook about it and the guy that found the gun posted on a lost and found sight for Washington hunters, someone saw both posts and sent my mom’s post to the guy who found my dads gun! His name is Josh Allen from Tumwater and we are so thankful he found it and made sure to get it back to the rightful owner. It's more then just a rifle to my Dad, it's something that couldn't be replaced, the memories it holds were heartbreaking to think about loosing to the point my Dad didn't want to do what he loves anymore, he didn't want to hunt again. THANK YOU JOSH, you are a Hero in our families eyes.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]