collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Scatter Creek Pheasant?  (Read 3684 times)

Offline npaull

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Scatter Creek Pheasant?
« on: October 17, 2017, 11:50:26 AM »
Just curious about the Scatter Creek pheasant site in W Wa. I was reading online that "about 3500 pheasants" are released there for the season. Is this done all at once, or are the pheasants released in stages throughout the season?

Offline DRobnsn

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
Re: Scatter Creek Pheasant?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 11:58:15 AM »
I'm not sure how often they plant but I can tell you a large section of the south end was burned about a month ago. I drive by it fairly regularly and the north end is where everyone is going now, looks very crowded.

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 12:00:00 PM »
I don't know the schedule but I did release pheasants at the sites up north.  We had a set schedule that I don't recall (something like Friday night, Saturday night, and Tuesday night). 

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 12:03:39 PM »
They release Sat, Sun & Wed morning

Offline npaull

• Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 12:29:42 PM »
Thanks guys! That makes sense.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 12:31:15 PM »
The area to the south along 183rd Avenue is closed this season due to the fire. So all pheasant hunting will be at the northern area, along Case Road.

Offline npaull

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 12:40:09 PM »
Thanks bobcat, yeah I read that, and saw the burn. I went down there today briefly and tromped around the northern unit. Didn't see anything, hence my original post. I suspect the birds that were put in over the weekend were pretty well cleaned out by when I showed up. Maybe I'll try and get out there tomorrow afternoon if I can...

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 01:17:25 PM »
Thanks bobcat, yeah I read that, and saw the burn. I went down there today briefly and tromped around the northern unit. Didn't see anything, hence my original post. I suspect the birds that were put in over the weekend were pretty well cleaned out by when I showed up. Maybe I'll try and get out there tomorrow afternoon if I can...

There will still be birds there. 

I shot two birds/day every day the Season was open back ~ 1992 or so.  I had quit my job and was going to go back to college when my grandfather fell and broke his hip.  So I decided to start school later and was just hanging loose waiting until grandpa was released from the convalescent center and I was able to go over to Livingston and hang w/him for a few months. 

I would get up every morning, put a samich in the pocket of my game bag and load up my dogs and go pheasant hunting.  Usually at Scatter Creek. 

Some days it took me until sometime in the afternoon, some days it didn't take long to bag a couple birds.  By about three weeks in the dogs were pretty sharp and I was an AA Class trap shooter back then. 

The Port Blakely property used to be really good, but it is grown over now.  There is never a shortage of birds in the woods though.   

Offline fethrduster

• Scout
    • Mark Larson Gun Art
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 06:36:29 PM »
I've been going there for years with great success, but haven't this year due to the fire.  Being in an overly crowded situation with guns blazing doesn't sound safe to me. 

Offline Torrent50

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 11:09:23 AM »
It's a bit of a zoo between 8 and 8:30 but not as bad as I thought it would be this year.  Everyone seems to understand the situation and has been very careful and conscientious.  I have not had anyone rain pellets on me in several years.  I know I passed on three of the 6 birds my dog pointed this morning due to safety concerns and I saw several other guys pass up shots for the same reasons. 

Biggest disappointment is the look on my dog's face when we are done hunting by 8:15 and he still wants to run and find more.
"when you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."  Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline fethrduster

• Scout
    • Mark Larson Gun Art
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 11:16:06 AM »
That's very good to hear.  Thank you.

Offline lucky7

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2017, 05:19:49 PM »
Worked there a couple weekends ago for conservation hours, planting and removing cut brush. About 345 acres burnt including the house and the old barn (sad). Guy that runs the place said the birds they plant will fly north to south now and end up in the neigh boring pastures to the south. Maybe position yourself along the tree breaks for a passing shot. In the spring my son and I worked Bob Oke game farm, repairing snow damage. Chris who runs that one said pass the word that Chinook is not being hunted. I asked if they cut back on the amount of birds released and he said no. Bob Oke does about 40k birds a year fyi. So theres your hot tip

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal