collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Came home to this  (Read 2615 times)

Offline Ajj828

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
Came home to this
« on: October 17, 2017, 06:38:13 PM »
Just planted this willow this summer and a buck scraped it all up today. I live on 5 acres in a "no firearm restriction area" so would It be legal to shoot this buck? I always hear gunshots around my neighbors houses so I'm thinking there won't be a problem. There are some houses around and a main road. Is there a certain distance I need to be away from these to shoot? The last thing I need is someone calling the cops on me when they hear a gunshot In the morning. I looked at the map on where you can discharge for my county and It says I can shoot where I live.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 07:26:14 PM by Ajj828 »

Offline Tiger1358

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
Re: Came home to this
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 06:43:06 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, you can harvest big game with a crossbow in firearm restricted areas, but you gotta double check that.

Offline Ajj828

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 06:58:01 PM »
If I'm not mistaken, you can harvest big game with a crossbow in firearm restricted areas, but you gotta double check that.

I'm thinking I can shoot a deer because my neighbors always target shootnin their back yard. I was just worried about distances from houses and main roads. Can't find anything in the regs

Offline Scheindogg

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 07:00:37 PM »
Not trying to jack thread but have similar question that's related.
The property in headed to tomorrow is in GMU 204 in an area with no restrictions , I also was wondering how far I must be from houses/roads to be able to legally take a shot?
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me -Phillipians 4:13

Offline onmygame

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 07:00:51 PM »
Well, there used to be a certain distance from buildings that housed people, animals or fuel. Not sure if still on the books and in the regs, but 500 ft was the minimum.
According to your post, you are in a firearm restricted area - so you need to know the restrictions, that much is plain and simple.
If you are unable to put a plan together to hunt this buck this year due to lack of bow or whatever is allowed - you have until next season to put it together with a fairly good chance this fella will be around thanks to the firearms restrictions in place.
Target shooting and hunting have two entirely different sets of rules, and I'm of the thought after your last post that there should be more rules in place for plinkers.
The best of luck.

Offline Ajj828

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 07:22:51 PM »
Well, there used to be a certain distance from buildings that housed people, animals or fuel. Not sure if still on the books and in the regs, but 500 ft was the minimum.
According to your post, you are in a firearm restricted area - so you need to know the restrictions, that much is plain and simple.
If you are unable to put a plan together to hunt this buck this year due to lack of bow or whatever is allowed - you have until next season to put it together with a fairly good chance this fella will be around thanks to the firearms restrictions in place.
Target shooting and hunting have two entirely different sets of rules, and I'm of the thought after your last post that there should be more rules in place for plinkers.
The best of luck.

I checked the entire big game regulation pamphlet and couldn't find anything about distances from houses. I know for target shooting you need to be 500 feet away or something but I think hunting and target shooting are different.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 07:25:57 PM »
What county do you live in. That's where the rules will come from..

Offline Ajj828

• Hunter
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 07:27:26 PM »
What county do you live in. That's where the rules will come from..

Clark county. My gmu is shotgun only. I looked at the county map for discharging firearms and I don't see restrictions on the map where my house is

Online Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 07:30:42 PM »
[/color]
Just planted this willow this summer and a buck scraped it all up today. I live on 5 acres in a "no firearm restriction area" so would It be legal to shoot this buck? I always hear gunshots around my neighbors houses so I'm thinking there won't be a problem. There are some houses around and a main road. Is there a certain distance I need to be away from these to shoot? The last thing I need is someone calling the cops on me when they hear a gunshot In the morning. I looked at the map on where you can discharge for my county and It says I can shoot where I live.

You’ve answered your own question. Key words No firearm restriction area. :)
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 07:38:20 PM »

[/color]

:yeah:  the only restrictions are safety and common sense. Don't shoot toward a house, road, vehicles, people, etc.  If you are in a stand or in a location with a good backdrop then go for it. If you are in a shotgun only area then rifles are out. Crossbow and bow are legal during modern season as well.

Offline Ajj828

• Hunter
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 07:43:18 PM »
[/color]

:yeah:  the only restrictions are safety and common sense. Don't shoot toward a house, road, vehicles, people, etc.  If you are in a stand or in a location with a good backdrop then go for it. If you are in a shotgun only area then rifles are out. Crossbow and bow are legal during modern season as well.

I've got a shotgun and slugs so if I see that buck within legal shooting hours I'll take it. I'll make sure to have an ethical shot if the opportunity comes.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 07:44:27 PM »
I wouldn't hesitate to shoot that willow wrecking buck.  Modern Firearm Regs for 564:

Modern firearm tag holders may hunt during
established modern firearm seasons with
bows and arrows; crossbows; muzzleloaders;
revolver-type handguns; semi-automatic
handguns of .40 (10mm) caliber or larger;
or shotguns, so long as the equipment and
ammunition complies with department rules

and NO centerfire rifles.

You must have access to one of these items.  Perhaps a spear?
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]