collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Does anyone actually rinse their deer with a hose after it has been skinned?WHY?  (Read 11685 times)

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
Someone on Facebook is saying deer and elk should be rinsed with a hose to cool and clean the meat.  I've rinsed the gut cavity once on a badly gut shot deer but honestly can't see any reason to rinse the outside of a deer or elk after skinning, and have not.  I've never gotten sick, nor has anyone eating my game from this procedure.  What are your thoughts?

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
I wash them out inside if the shot broke the guts at all. If they have not been broke I haven't ever washed them :dunno:
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline Seahawk12

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
I do.
Cleanliness.
It's mostly to make absolutely sure every piece of hair or dirt is cleaned off.
That is why I do it anyways.
It only takes a few minutes and it's not like you wash away the flavor.
I see benefits with no downside.
"I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes."
William Tecumseh Sherman

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
I don't do it, however if you've ever seen a mobile butcher, they always hose off the beef and pig carcasses.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
I don't do it, however if you've ever seen a mobile butcher, they always hose off the beef and pig carcasses.

I can see this, but I know exactly where my deer has been and how carefully it has been skinned.

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
Never used a hose, but always used some water and a rag to wipe it down to get the hair off.

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
Never used a hose, but always used some water and a rag to wipe it down to get the hair off.

Why is there that much hair?  My deer I just butchered probably had less than 50 hairs on it and only at the split pelvis and along the chest, leg and neck cuts.  Ninety percent of that comes off when cleaning the connective tissue layers off of the muscles.

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
If needed.  It's that simple.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline Widgeondeke

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
  • US Army Infantry 91-98
If I had access to a hose, I might rinse it only cause I could.
I usually just pick off the fee hairs after everything has dried or when doing the final processing.
I did use a water bottle and washcloth for a very stinky speed goat buck once. 

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt

I can see this, but I know exactly where my deer has been and how carefully it has been skinned.

:kneel:
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
If your deer never had more than 50 hairs on it, you're a much better skinner than me - and I'm not doubting you.

I've probably skinned 23-25 elk, and around 30 deer.   Seems I still  make a mess.    I always bring them to the creek and just clean them up.     

I also like the thought of the creek water taking a lot of heat out - especially for elk.

I admire guys who can skin like that, by the way.    I just didn't get the gift......
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
I spray it, get some of the blood shot off. If I can spray it and see if it's really blood shot or just bloody it might save a bit of meat.

get a few hairs off, 50 is a lot of hair in my book

I spray the hogs too before and after, actually pressure wash them before and rinse after.

every butcher I've seen do an on the farm butcher sprays down the carcass, so it's something I've always done too

Offline Mfowl

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
Many butcher shops will refuse meat if it is dirty or tainted. I rinse it at home before butchering it for the freezer. Never thought any different.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
I spray it, get some of the blood shot off. If I can spray it and see if it's really blood shot or just bloody it might save a bit of meat.

get a few hairs off, 50 is a lot of hair in my book

I spray the hogs too before and after, actually pressure wash them before and rinse after.

every butcher I've seen do an on the farm butcher sprays down the carcass, so it's something I've always done too

I was actually giving a larger number than I think are actually there as I didn't want to seem unrealistic.   ;)   :chuckle:

Offline Smokepole

• Kevin Miller
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
I've rinsed a few gutshot deer, but I prefer to keep the meat dry.  Hosing it down makes the carcass a bit wet and slimey imo.  I have learned to skin carefully to keep the hair count low.  To remove hair, I use a ball of dough... flour & water to collect any loose hairs. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal