collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Does anyone actually rinse their deer with a hose after it has been skinned?WHY?  (Read 11668 times)

Offline TheHunt

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
If I bone it out I typically don't have hair on the meat.  Most of my deer or elk are too deep to take whole.  So I bone them out.
275 down 2

Offline HuntnFishnRyan

• Tracker
Had a conversation with my butcher about this. He said not to use water and if a hair was found on the meat then he picks it off with the knife instead of rinsing it off. He did mention vinegar if you needed to do a rinsing. His theory with rinsing with water is that it pushes the bacteria into the meat.

My philosophy is this. Every situation is different. You don't always have a pickup truck right there with a meat locker just down the road to accept it right away. I will take whatever means necessary to keep that meat from spoiling. If I have to throw that meat in the creek to cool it off in September then that's what I'm gonna do.  :twocents:

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
Had a conversation with my butcher about this. He said not to use water and if a hair was found on the meat then he picks it off with the knife instead of rinsing it off. He did mention vinegar if you needed to do a rinsing. His theory with rinsing with water is that it pushes the bacteria into the meat.

My philosophy is this. Every situation is different. You don't always have a pickup truck right there with a meat locker just down the road to accept it right away. I will take whatever means necessary to keep that meat from spoiling. If I have to throw that meat in the creek to cool it off in September then that's what I'm gonna do.  :twocents:

That is why I avoid water unless guts are spilled.  My first butcher was adamant about not using water unless necessary and if necessary then towel it off right away and I guess his council stuck all these years.  He said the water absorbs heat and mixed with blood it is a breeding round that bacteria goes wild in.  He a said that a wet bath towel followed up by a dry bath towel was what he preferred.  But I have used a hose or the pressure washer on my toy hauler when available, then toweled it off after hanging and then bagging. 

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
I almost always skin with the head up, maybe this keeps more hair off the meat? I'm also not sure where all of this "dirt" comes from? I dragged my gutted deer over a half mile this year and had no dirt on or in it, granted, it was not a huge buck, just a nubbin, but still....

Always skin head up. All the hair lays flat towards the rump.
My first deer I did not know about skinning head up, I came home with so much hair and silver skin on me, my mom hosed me off before I could come in the house,
LOL

Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Alpine Mojo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
Someone on Facebook is saying deer and elk should be rinsed with a hose

Well, if you read it on Facebook...
Friend: "Are you free tonight?"
Me:  (Gazing into the distance as a bald eagle screeches)  "I'm always free"

Offline ghosthunter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
If I have access to a hose I will rinse off and dry with paper towels.

My butcher told me to use a plastic scrubby to remove any hair.

GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
I wouldn't get elk meet wet, it seems to be much more sensitive to water than deer. that being said I have never rinsed either off. but I have killed an elk in some pooring rain in the backcountry that I had to trim some off that stayed damp to long I guess, never had that happen with deer

Offline Longbow 58

• Tracker
I wash my deer down with a half rack of rainier beer :

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
I prefer to hang them dry and brush off any hair.   Hosing them off is a last resort if things get really messy with a gut shot animal.

Same
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline jagermiester

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • My family is my life
I've always wiped any areas down that needed it with a clean rag and water and then I pick at the animal with a beer in my hand. I used to always wipe down with Vinegar water solution but I don't do that much any more. In the end clean and dry is the utmost important thing for me even if I have to cut something away. I know some guys that use a torch just before it goes into the cooler. I don't really like that idea though. 
Lead em if they're running.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand