collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Curious. Who Packs a Handgun While Hunting?  (Read 17356 times)

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
Re: Curious. Who Packs a Handgun While Hunting?
« Reply #90 on: November 02, 2017, 09:22:31 PM »
curious---who doesn't ?
Several people posted they don't.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Online brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #91 on: November 02, 2017, 09:39:24 PM »
curious---who doesn't ?
i'm sure they have but what is there reason for not doing it ?  until i hear a credible reason for not carrying a handgun while hunting all i see are individuals that are limited to defend themselves from either 4 legged  or 2 legged preadators
beer---it's whats for dinner

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #92 on: November 02, 2017, 09:43:31 PM »
curious---who doesn't ?
i'm sure they have but what is there reason for not doing it ?  until i hear a credible reason for not carrying a handgun while hunting all i see are individuals that are limited to defend themselves from either 4 legged  or 2 legged preadators

My reason, which I believe many others stated as well, is just the extra weight was something I don't want to carry. When I've  already got a rifle I don't feel the need for a second gun. I have enough other things to carry as it is- binoculars, rangefinder, cell phone, GPS, etc. Plenty of stuff and I just don't need one more thing that I most likely will never have a use for.

Offline Stalkin Prey

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #93 on: November 02, 2017, 09:51:41 PM »
Gun strapped to bag on hike in..in the dark.....or day light.....Bear? Cougar? Dare I say WOLF staring you down. Throw your pack off and try and get it unstrapped and shouldered? Aim down your scope powered by xxxx? At close distance? My family depends on me and I'd rather have in case rather then not and need it. Bow usually strapped in on long hikes as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Seahawk12

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #94 on: November 02, 2017, 10:00:38 PM »
I do not enter the woods without my sidearm.
I've heard plenty of times about bears that have been wounded and lost.
I'd rather wear it and occasionally curse the extra weight than not wear it and curse my own negligence as an angry wounded bear rushes out of the brush.
"I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes."
William Tecumseh Sherman

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #95 on: November 02, 2017, 10:03:01 PM »
curious---who doesn't ?
My reason, which I believe many others stated as well, is just the extra weight was something I don't want to carry. When I've  already got a rifle I don't feel the need for a second gun. I have enough other things to carry as it is- binoculars, rangefinder, cell phone, GPS, etc. Plenty of stuff and I just don't need one more thing that I most likely will never have a use for.
:yeah:
Never have carried while hunting, never will.

Online brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #96 on: November 02, 2017, 10:16:30 PM »
curious---who doesn't ?

hey if you're that old and decrepid enough to where carrying an extra 2 lbs is gonna stop you from either hunting or packing out an animal that you have shot than i'm glad i know it now rather than when we are in camp together...i've got an idea...how about leaving your cell phone in camp and packing a sidearm so i'm almost guaranteed about getting back safely rather than you being able to post your hunt/pics via face time or what ever the hell they use these days...its almost like the person who posts it quickest on social media wins...if you are that worried about packing a sidearm that weighs a couple pounds is gonna slow you down then thankfully you have never felt the need to use it-until you do

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #97 on: November 02, 2017, 10:21:45 PM »
curious---who doesn't ?

hey if you're that old and decrepid enough to where carrying an extra 2 lbs is gonna stop you from either hunting or packing out an animal that you have shot than i'm glad i know it now rather than when we are in camp together...i've got an idea...how about leaving your cell phone in camp and packing a sidearm so i'm almost guaranteed about getting back safely rather than you being able to post your hunt/pics via face time or what ever the hell they use these days...its almost like the person who posts it quickest on social media wins...if you are that worried about packing a sidearm that weighs a couple pounds is gonna slow you down then thankfully you have never felt the need to use it-until you do
Or Bobcat could just use his rifle instead of a handgun.

Seriously though, no need to bash someone for what they decide to bring on a hunting trip. Who cares if a guy just brings his long gun, or looks like GI Joe?

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #98 on: November 02, 2017, 10:24:49 PM »
Claude Dallas agrees with me.
Claude Dallas is a despicable murderer POS.  Not cool.
:yeah:
Wow. No reason to support a guy who killed 2 game wardens, goes on the run, gets thrown in prison and escapes. He should've gotten the death penalty for what he did.  :twocents:

Online brew

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #99 on: November 02, 2017, 10:29:27 PM »
i'm not trying to bash anyone...i'm here to say anyone can do anything they want but i can't think that anyone would say that packing a 2-3 lb pistol would limit them from being able to hunt the way they want..

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2017, 11:47:59 PM »
I feel pretty safe in the woods with my rifle. Maybe I don't even own a handgun? Seriously it really has never even crossed my mind to carry a handgun when I'm deer or elk hunting. I bring the tools that are needed for the job, and that's it, nothing more. Yes I have a cell phone, which I feel is more beneficial for my safety than a second gun would be. With my phone, I can call 911 if necessary. Or I can text my hunting partner when I hear a shot and find out if he's got an elk down.

But you're right about one thing, I AM old.  :tup:  But not quite decrepit- yet.   8)

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #101 on: November 03, 2017, 06:04:42 AM »
My handgun is part of my body when hunting, heck, I’m carrying it more now when I’m not hunting than ever.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #102 on: November 03, 2017, 06:06:17 AM »
I carry my 41 whenever I hunt or shed hunt or camp
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

Offline whackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #103 on: November 03, 2017, 06:22:42 AM »
In over 40 years of hunting Don't need it I got a bow in my hand  :IBCOOL:
Kimber and Tikka are my pets

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #104 on: November 03, 2017, 06:37:31 AM »
i'm not trying to bash anyone...i'm here to say anyone can do anything they want but i can't think that anyone would say that packing a 2-3 lb pistol would limit them from being able to hunt the way they want..

Sure sounds like you're in an "Us vs. Them" mode on this topic.  I don't think anyone said "I can't hunt with a sidearm strapped by my waist".  People just prefer to go without.  No need to pick sides.  The OP just asked a simple question about what people do, now whether there should be wolves in WA. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]