collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Another Cougar Came Back  (Read 14135 times)

Offline dan11011

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Hunter
Re: Another Cougar Came Back
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2017, 11:22:55 AM »
My mother in law has several dairy goats and has 2 miniature donkeys running full time with them a mile from a spot I had 5 different lions on camera in 1 year. No predator losses to date to her goats. The goats and donkeys have free range of her 12 acres. She was told a donkey will stop a lion attack.

I know a guy near me who has quality, trained livestock guardian dogs and lots of llamas and alpacas and he has had repetitive lion issues over the last few years. I imagine the dogs have probably stopped some predation, but lions have killed his animals multiple times over the last few years.

Very interesting. I will have to look into the donkey thing. I would not be against getting one and trying that. I know they are great at protecting from coyotes. Why not lions. I also like the idea of having it always around living with the sheep and not roaming around separately like a dog.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2017, 11:24:03 AM »
My mother in law has several dairy goats and has 2 miniature donkeys running full time with them a mile from a spot I had 5 different lions on camera in 1 year. No predator losses to date to her goats. The goats and donkeys have free range of her 12 acres. She was told a donkey will stop a lion attack.

I know a guy near me who has quality, trained livestock guardian dogs and lots of llamas and alpacas and he has had repetitive lion issues over the last few years. I imagine the dogs have probably stopped some predation, but lions have killed his animals multiple times over the last few years.

Yeah, I forgot to mention a donkey/burro. Some mules are hell on predators but that's because of the donkey side of them and you don't need something that large. Do they still have those blm burro adoption programs. Maybe you can snatch up one of those  :dunno:. We have a cowboy friend that used to have a burro. He would use him for training purposes for horses that thought they were in charge. That burro would stock a horse 3 times his size and sometimes try and bite the belly out of them  :yike:, they can be nasty creatures.

All these mini donkeys do is run around kicking and biting each other non-stop. They're father and son.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2017, 11:26:45 AM »

Very interesting. I will have to look into the donkey thing. I would not be against getting one and trying that. I know they are great at protecting from coyotes. Why not lions. I also like the idea of having it always around living with the sheep and not roaming around separately like a dog.

She was told they will kill a lion. Can't confirm or deny that, but living where she lives in the Blue Mountain Foothills, there are plenty of predators running around abd she's had -0- predator issues in 10+ years knock on wood. Her flock of guinea hens did disappear one by one at one point, but those things are dumb as a bag of hammers.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2017, 11:34:32 AM »
Don't get mules for livestock protection.  They are just as likely to kill your sheep and goats.  I would not recommend a mini donkey for protection from a lion.  It will flat out kill it.  You want at least a standard donkey.  If it's a Jack, make dang sure it is fixed.  Better if you get one that has been raised around sheep and goats.  Be very careful around lambing and kidding time.  Lots of times a newborn running around crying chasing after mom has been mistaken for a predator.  Since it is new the donkey protects the mom. 
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Southpole

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2017, 11:34:40 AM »

Yeah, I forgot to mention a donkey/burro. Some mules are hell on predators but that's because of the donkey side of them and you don't need something that large. Do they still have those blm burro adoption programs. Maybe you can snatch up one of those  :dunno:. We have a cowboy friend that used to have a burro. He would use him for training purposes for horses that thought they were in charge. That burro would stock a horse 3 times his size and sometimes try and bite the belly out of them  :yike:, they can be nasty creatures.

All these mini donkeys do is run around kicking and biting each other non-stop. They're father and son.

They're definitely not flight animals like horses, that's for sure. Years ago my husband and I decided to take a little snow ride up in the hills with his horse and my Tennessee Walker mule. We were just riding along and all of the sudden my mule drifts off to the side of the road and starts digging. Then pretty soon he drops to his knees and grabs a dead Chow dog, with his teeth, from underneath the snow. We were really weirded out by this, but we figured, that's the donkey in him. He was hell on dogs, and what ever else we didn't when we weren't around.
$5 is a lot of money if you ain't got it

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #20 on: October 24, 2017, 11:43:02 AM »

Acting like true JA's.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: October 24, 2017, 11:46:47 AM »
Don't get mules for livestock protection.  They are just as likely to kill your sheep and goats.  I would not recommend a mini donkey for protection from a lion.  It will flat out kill it.  You want at least a standard donkey.  If it's a Jack, make dang sure it is fixed.  Better if you get one that has been raised around sheep and goats.  Be very careful around lambing and kidding time.  Lots of times a newborn running around crying chasing after mom has been mistaken for a predator.  Since it is new the donkey protects the mom.

The ones she has are 3’ ish at the withers. Got to be 350+ pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Southpole

• Frontiersman
« Reply #22 on: October 24, 2017, 11:54:47 AM »
Awww, so cute.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: October 24, 2017, 12:00:22 PM »

The ones she has are 3’ ish at the withers. Got to be 350+ pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably safe since there are 2.  i would not recommend a single mini.  :)  They are tough as nails and fearless, but alone would not stand much of a chance against a lion.
Fred Moyer

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2017, 12:01:11 PM »
A donkey will do a job on a dog that is unfamiliar w/how to handle them, but they are no match for a lion.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: October 24, 2017, 12:01:42 PM »

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2017, 12:04:02 PM »
Ya' don't screw with donkeys if you have any sense, one ripped a woman's arm off a few years ago.  I think it was up by Snoqualmie. 

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2017, 12:10:41 PM »
 :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:  Ok, didn't need to see that!!   :yike:  :chuckle:

In all seriousness, a intact Jack is a VERY dangerous animal!!!!
Fred Moyer

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2017, 12:11:26 PM »
Uhmmmm.... What the heck was that dude doing with his pants down?  :yike:

Offline Southpole

• Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2017, 12:16:54 PM »
:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:  Ok, didn't need to see that!!   :yike:  :chuckle:

In all seriousness, a intact Jack is a VERY dangerous animal!!!!
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]