collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Out of state mountain goat  (Read 9769 times)

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Out of state mountain goat
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2017, 11:17:11 AM »
It's not much of a lodge.  Restaurant and about 8 cabins you can stay in.  The Cassiar HWY is very desolate.  It's one of those there's not fuel for 100 miles so fill up here. 

And you still have the hunt cost itself added to that pricing.  They don't have the actual hunt costs on their site right now as they are making adjustments for 2018.  I believe a goat hunt is $14,000.

BC requires a guide for non-res goat hunt, right?

Now that you've got one under your belt your a goat guy destined to take more huh???

That's actually something I'm kind of worried about.

I want to go back and get one with my bow now.  The country up there is EXTREMELY addicting!  I didn't want to leave.  I love elk hunting and deer hunting down here, but there's something about that country up there that has be wanting to go back, bad.
Is getting one with a bow a feasible thing up there?  I know I was close enough to shoot one with a bow this year but this was my first experience and I think a lot of things went perfectly right for me to be in that position.  The most important one is I didn't have a weapon at the time and I seem to always get close if I don't have any means of actually killing an animal.  :chuckle:

I've wondered that as well. Seems like it would add more difficulty than pretty much any other animal because of the terrain.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #31 on: November 03, 2017, 01:01:55 PM »
It's not much of a lodge.  Restaurant and about 8 cabins you can stay in.  The Cassiar HWY is very desolate.  It's one of those there's not fuel for 100 miles so fill up here. 

And you still have the hunt cost itself added to that pricing.  They don't have the actual hunt costs on their site right now as they are making adjustments for 2018.  I believe a goat hunt is $14,000.

BC requires a guide for non-res goat hunt, right?

Now that you've got one under your belt your a goat guy destined to take more huh???

That's actually something I'm kind of worried about.

I want to go back and get one with my bow now.  The country up there is EXTREMELY addicting!  I didn't want to leave.  I love elk hunting and deer hunting down here, but there's something about that country up there that has be wanting to go back, bad.
Is getting one with a bow a feasible thing up there?  I know I was close enough to shoot one with a bow this year but this was my first experience and I think a lot of things went perfectly right for me to be in that position.  The most important one is I didn't have a weapon at the time and I seem to always get close if I don't have any means of actually killing an animal.  :chuckle:

I've wondered that as well. Seems like it would add more difficulty than pretty much any other animal because of the terrain.

Rick was 40 yards broadside and then 17 yards broadside to my billy Saturday. He could have smoked him with his bow...way easier than me having to shoot him with that darn rifle at 99 yards. That was tough.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #32 on: November 03, 2017, 01:49:57 PM »
Oh I don't doubt people can do it, and know that people have done it. My only concern sneaking up to a goat in an Alpine area (a geographical feature  I wish I was more familiar with) is much much harder than a river bottom whitetail. That makes the accomplishment that much more rewarding but I battle with losing an opportunity due to my weapon selection.

I bow hunt but I don't consider myself strictly a bowhunter. My main goal in hunting is the harvest and consumption of an animal and while that isn't the only factor to success I switched to bow because of the more liberal seasons and the opportunity for a larger pool of legal animals.

I'd love to shoot a goat with my bow but I don't know if I would be happy limiting my options and feeling like I missed out at the end.

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Explorer
  • R.I.P. Colockumelk 20130423. Semper Fi!
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2017, 01:50:48 PM »
Mine was 33 yds broadside against the wind downhill. With a bow in WA. Is possible and Alaska appears to be possible as well as I've seen some "tv pros" do it. But who knows the scenarios they got into.

As rainier stated, physical fitness is a must as the terrain is unforgivable. If you're fitness is mediocre then you better have the mental fortitude to complete the task once you've started.
If you can read thank a teacher, If you can read in English thank a Marine! 
Not as Lean, Just as Mean, Still a Marine!
He who shed blood with me shall forever be my brother!

"Around this camp, there's only one Chief; the rest are Indians!"

"Give me 15 more minutes, I was dreaming of Beavers!"

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Explorer
« Reply #34 on: November 03, 2017, 01:59:17 PM »
I'd love to shoot a goat with my bow but I don't know if I would be happy limiting my options and feeling like I missed out at the end.

If you've put in the effort and time and gave it your all who's to tell you you wasted a tag?

Jackelope and a couple others know I had a tag that I said I'd go bow or go home and I did. I prepped and prepped and prepped for the hunt and got shut out for the fires so I switched and gave it a last shot in a new blind area I hadn't known about.

I could've made the kill with my rifle easily but I wasn't after the kill, I was after the pursuit, the hunt, the experience.

I got that and ate the tag. It's only a waste if you didn't try. It's the individuals tags and they can define what they think a waste is. :tup:

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #35 on: November 03, 2017, 02:03:09 PM »

If you've put in the effort and time and gave it your all who's to tell you you wasted a tag?

Jackelope and a couple others know I had a tag that I said I'd go bow or go home and I did. I prepped and prepped and prepped for the hunt and got shut out for the fires so I switched and gave it a last shot in a new blind area I hadn't known about.

I could've made the kill with my rifle easily but I wasn't after the kill, I was after the pursuit, the hunt, the experience.

I got that and ate the tag. It's only a waste if you didn't try. It's the individuals tags and they can define what they think a waste is. :tup:

I have a metric crap ton of respect for you for that. A metric crap ton is a lot FYI. I get it too. At the point I was at, I would have been ok with eating my tag.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline PlateauNDN

• Y.A.R. Medicine Man
  • Explorer
« Reply #36 on: November 03, 2017, 03:03:17 PM »

I have a metric crap ton of respect for you for that. A metric crap ton is a lot FYI. I get it too. At the point I was at, I would have been ok with eating my tag.

Well, I give 2 metric crap tons of respect for you as you ventured unto the wilderness in weather majority wouldn't if they had the chance. :tup:

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #37 on: November 03, 2017, 10:00:26 PM »
Bow hunting anything is tough. I don’t which would be tougher, a goat or a sheep. Since we are talking goats and I’m pretty much an expert now  :chuckle: what I have taken away from this season is I would take a bow a buddy and a gun just so I had the option if either were presented to me. Second I think a guide or at least a drop camp would be worth it. Having camp set up by someone else would allow you to focus on the hunt saving more energy for the hunt as well. Goat hunting is physically and mentally demanding. That is coming from a guy that was just on a hunt with what I would consider to be pretty good conditions.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #38 on: November 08, 2017, 06:47:01 AM »
Getting ahead of myself but what did you guys end up doing for a mount? Is it easier to get it done there and shipped home finished or did you bring them back and have them done locally?

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #39 on: November 08, 2017, 07:43:20 AM »
When I got a bear in Alaska I just went to a seafood processing plant and got frozen food shipping boxes to put the head and hide in and had them put it in their freezer for a day.  Picked it up on the way to the airport.  When I landed in Seattle I took it to Cedar River Taxidermy.  I really like the work that Rick has done for me over the years.  I have 7 mounts from him so I know what I am getting.  Just didn't want to hassle with finding a taxi up there that I was sure would do a good job.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline archery288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #40 on: November 08, 2017, 08:36:02 AM »
Getting ahead of myself but what did you guys end up doing for a mount? Is it easier to get it done there and shipped home finished or did you bring them back and have them done locally?

I brought mine back with me to have it done here.  I am doing a life-size mount of the goat bedded on a rock fixture.  My goat was bedded before I shot him and want to mimic that. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2017, 08:48:21 AM »
The cape is not as big as I thought it would be. Granted we didn't skin mine out for a full body mount but we did cape him all the way back to his hind quarters so almost the whole thing. It fit inside my pack...head and all.  I'd think it wouldn't be a huge deal to stick a full cape in a cooler or a cooler box for the trip home.

For the record...I didn't do a full body mount because I don't have room in my smaller house for that. I was told they're pretty gigantic when they're done. Like adding another full sized couch to your living room.

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2017, 02:13:57 PM »

I brought mine back with me to have it done here.  I am doing a life-size mount of the goat bedded on a rock fixture.  My goat was bedded before I shot him and want to mimic that.

What's the footprint of your finished mount? I would like a bedded full body (until I change my mind again, for the goat hunt I haven't booked yet  :chuckle:) and I've heard they're huge and that they don't take up a ton of room.

I actually almost bought a Burlington northern goat mount when I was a teenager that was like four by two feet, but it had a pretty big base to it. I don't remember if it was a big goat or not.

Offline archery288

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2017, 03:10:37 PM »
I'm not sure, I just got the goat this year.  Probably be a bit before it's finished being mounted.  I am doing something like this picture.  I think it's going to be about 5 ft wide would be my guess.  The forms are around 56" from what I'm seeing. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2017, 04:45:51 PM »
Can't wait to see it when it's done, Jon. That's going to be amazing.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal