collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: E Collar question  (Read 1565 times)

Offline nutntoit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
E Collar question
« on: October 25, 2017, 02:09:18 PM »
I was in need of an e collar for my Lab to use in training and in the field. I did some research and watched some videos and settled on the Garmin Sport Pro due to the expandability and other features it has. (I'm getting another pup next month) I really like that it is easy to change settings and levels.

Well so far I like it but I am running into some issues. When my dog gets too far out, it doesn't seem to work very well or at all. I have to have it at level 7 out of 10 for my dog to even notice it. I have read more bad things about garmin since my purchase and am feeling a little buyers remorse. Does anyone else have experience with this collar and if so have you had these issues?

Offline Firstbuck

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: E Collar question
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 03:29:31 PM »
I have the garmin sport pro using it on a German Shorthair and I've noticed the lack of response from far out as well past 200 yards usually at that point for me its been difficult to see the dog due to cover. I believe in my case my issue is due to lack of line of sight, The stated range for the unit is for 3/4 of a mile or a little over 1320 yards line of sight.

Other then that I've had 0 issues with the unit and so far like the product...I believe the sport pro collar is compatible with the longer ranged PRO550 remote which might improve response?

Spit balling but other issues could be the battery charge on the remote, battery charge on the collar, probe length on the collar or the collar tightness? sometimes if I leave the collar one notch too loose but the collar is tight, but my dog's head is in the right position one probe(Short probes) doesn't make good contact.

Offline nutntoit

• Hunter
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 03:51:20 PM »
I have the garmin sport pro using it on a German Shorthair and I've noticed the lack of response from far out as well past 200 yards usually at that point for me its been difficult to see the dog due to cover. I believe in my case my issue is due to lack of line of sight, The stated range for the unit is for 3/4 of a mile or a little over 1320 yards line of sight.

Other then that I've had 0 issues with the unit and so far like the product...I believe the sport pro collar is compatible with the longer ranged PRO550 remote which might improve response?

Spit balling but other issues could be the battery charge on the remote, battery charge on the collar, probe length on the collar or the collar tightness? sometimes if I leave the collar one notch too loose but the collar is tight, but my dog's head is in the right position one probe(Short probes) doesn't make good contact.
Thanks for the response. I always make sure both batteries are fully charged before I use the collar, and I have put the long contact points on. The long contacts seem to help a little, but I'm still wondering if the 3/4 mile range claim isn't true. I try to keep the collar tight enough that I can only fit 1 finger between the collar and my dogs neck. How tight and what level has worked for you?

Offline HighCountryHunter88

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 04:10:13 PM »
as with all e-collars the listed max range is MAX Line of sight. you will never get near that far with any e collar its marketing. in a perfect situation with direct line of sight (over water, down a beach, from a high point) you may get that far. the companies have to set a base line somehow due to so many variable in communication via radio frequency, the easiest way is to list a max range.
-Matt

Offline Firstbuck

• Tracker
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 07:01:34 PM »

Thanks for the response. I always make sure both batteries are fully charged before I use the collar, and I have put the long contact points on. The long contacts seem to help a little, but I'm still wondering if the 3/4 mile range claim isn't true. I try to keep the collar tight enough that I can only fit 1 finger between the collar and my dogs neck. How tight and what level has worked for you?

I go right up next to the skull with the prongs going into the side of his neck  and I try to do one finger as well, Usually that means I can get a finger under a probe but with it still being a bit of a squeeze.  The collar usually ends up right in the loose skin "under the chin" and seems to consistently sit there with good contact.

Stim level depends on the day for Duke, sometimes he just wants a 1 sometimes he needs a 7. On average he responds well to a 3 and I very rarely need to go above a 5 unless he's particularly focused on something. At that point I do a quick stim at a high level.

I also only use the continuous button so that I can dictate the duration of stimulation every time

Offline Firstbuck

• Tracker
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 07:03:56 PM »
Also I walk up stim levels as needed and I start out low each session before settling on what is needed for the session

Offline Colin

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2017, 07:11:36 PM »
I have the pro550 and I just start at the level I need to make an appropriate correction if it occurs. That's a level 5 for us. I have low medium and high buttons so that helpful as there isn't enough time to move the dial and time the correction.

Line of sight is key. If you are wanting to test the range on your collar give the transmitter to a friend and set the level to whatever you can feel and start walking. Results vary depending on your level of trust with your "friend".

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline Happy Gilmore

• Business Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 09:50:52 PM »
haven't ever seen a line of sight issue at field trial distances and pheasant hunting at real range. most likely your contacts on the collar are the short ones and the collar isn't tight enough. Usually, short contacts are the issue with most. and misuse being the #1
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checked by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the grey twilight that knows not victory nor defeat."
Theodore Roosevelt 1899

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal