collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: GMU 328 Help  (Read 6152 times)

Offline Nwtrekker23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
GMU 328 Help
« on: October 28, 2017, 06:13:19 PM »
So early archery season came and went in a flash.  None the less i had a blast the week that i was out at the Naneum. Camp was set up WED before the season opened maybe only saw another camp or so. Scouting was a bust that night due to lack of elk or deer.  Thursday came along same deal bust, nothing.  Was my party doing something wrong, wrong area.  Only sure thing was no animal sign.  Friday we said the hell with it and walked a little into the woods in search of the creatures.  Getting concerned at this point Friday night and nothing but a few bugles of in the distance. Opening day sittting at my spot at about 530 am with that thought in the back of my head was already bummed out 20 min after shooting light.  A ruckus about 40yd in front of me basically bunch of deadfall three cows and a calf come bolting thru with me at full draw and no shot there they go across the creek and into there bedding area. Had another opportunity the following morning but screwed that up. At the end of my week i saw 10 elk total.  Friends swear that the herds are big up there and i believe it juts not my time then. Definitely will take lessons learned into the late season.  My question now is what to expect up there as far as snow. When i was up there i basically stayed on the coleman creek side of things and just a bit over on the cooke side. Learned that the Arthur Coffin is up there. Do the elk migrate somewhere like ellensburg or kittitas privates down there. When i go back up there i plan on camping on the cooke side as my party will most likely do. Any advice will be taken greatly, love to learn from others and definitely put in my work. Want to have a gameplan come the day and be well prepared.  Would like to hear from any other archery folks out there. thanks for taking time and reading much appreciated. -Jesse-

Offline ian_padron

• Scout
Re: GMU 328 Help
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 08:58:29 PM »
Get down into the nasty stuff. Saw this herd on Monday in an absolute hell hole. Saw another herd with a 375" bull in the next canyon over....also deep in the S#!%.

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Offline Nwtrekker23

• Tracker
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 05:20:24 AM »
Well that's just it, what's deep in the s**t. Some people's definition of hell hole is actually not to bad.  West side I've had to bushwack my way, and make a new trail. So find a canyon with the least amount of road and trek down to the bottom. What elevation do I need to focus on come late season?

Offline E35alex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 11:50:45 AM »
🤔

Tagging

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The closer I get to nature, the farther I am from idiots.

Offline Hilltop123

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 01:12:03 PM »
The one problem with hunting the area you have mentioned, is. You can't go in any direction, without getting closer to another road. Now it has been several years since I have been in that unit, maybe they have closed some roads, since then. Grab your map and.try.and.find areas a mile or more from a road, if the road system has not changed, there will be damn few.

Offline tjthebest

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 03:00:24 PM »
So early archery season came and went in a flash.  None the less i had a blast the week that i was out at the Naneum. Camp was set up WED before the season opened maybe only saw another camp or so. Scouting was a bust that night due to lack of elk or deer.  Thursday came along same deal bust, nothing.  Was my party doing something wrong, wrong area.  Only sure thing was no animal sign.  Friday we said the hell with it and walked a little into the woods in search of the creatures.  Getting concerned at this point Friday night and nothing but a few bugles of in the distance. Opening day sittting at my spot at about 530 am with that thought in the back of my head was already bummed out 20 min after shooting light.  A ruckus about 40yd in front of me basically bunch of deadfall three cows and a calf come bolting thru with me at full draw and no shot there they go across the creek and into there bedding area. Had another opportunity the following morning but screwed that up. At the end of my week i saw 10 elk total.  Friends swear that the herds are big up there and i believe it juts not my time then. Definitely will take lessons learned into the late season.  My question now is what to expect up there as far as snow. When i was up there i basically stayed on the coleman creek side of things and just a bit over on the cooke side. Learned that the Arthur Coffin is up there. Do the elk migrate somewhere like ellensburg or kittitas privates down there. When i go back up there i plan on camping on the cooke side as my party will most likely do. Any advice will be taken greatly, love to learn from others and definitely put in my work. Want to have a gameplan come the day and be well prepared.  Would like to hear from any other archery folks out there. thanks for taking time and reading much appreciated. -Jesse-

Next time you hear bugles go towards them.
Camp Wapiti Death!

Offline E35alex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 03:11:48 PM »

Next time you hear bugles go towards them.

Hard to do in late season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The closer I get to nature, the farther I am from idiots.

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 04:04:36 PM »
Cooke and Coleman have been ghost towns the last 2 years . There is usually a 1’ of snow just inside the state forest line. It appeared most groups pushed over to the Quilomene a week or so before. We focused from Schneebly to the Quilomene line down low and didn’t see a thing. I suspect broadening that while staying low towards the fringe could turn up some late movers....
Just tend your own and live.

Offline Nwtrekker23

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 05:00:24 AM »
Anyone been up there last week. Had two buddies up there at the bottom of Coleman. They mentioned they saw squat. I'll be up there Saturday afternoon till Monday night give it hell one last time. Any reports on elk sightings up there.

Offline greenhead_killer

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: wsf life member, wsta, mdf, sci, sscf
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2017, 06:21:01 AM »
Keep pounding the areas you have said and you’ll turn something up. Just plan on moving a lot until you cross paths with fresh sign or elk themselves. Good luck
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 08:25:36 PM by greenhead_killer »

Offline Wagglyfawn

• Pilgrim
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2017, 07:21:32 AM »
I camped out for 3 days in 328. I saw one monster Bull elk (seriously this guy was incredible) and bumped about half a dozen cow elk but never had the opportunity to take a shot. They are in there, I promise you. I was in the First Creek area North of Green Canyon. I ran into a few other hunters and they all said the same thing, "We haven't seen anything". But those were all guys driving the roads in their trucks or ATVs so I don't know what they expected. A couple people mentioned a heard of about 200+ in Green Canyon, but that's private property as far as I can tell.

I saw them around these coordinates. No guarantee they're around there now since I assume snow is starting to push them farther down.

EDIT: I guess posting coordinates isn't as harmless as I thought  :(
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 10:31:36 AM by Wagglyfawn »

Offline Nwtrekker23

• Tracker
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2017, 07:46:14 AM »
Hey thanks a lot waggly for me anything helps. There are a few spots I have to check out where I had a little action early season. I've never hunted late season so hoping for snow to kick them out and about. Will definitely check out your info. Got into some deep stuff and lots of sign just a little behind them always.

Offline cle elum bowhunter

• Scout
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2017, 08:17:36 PM »
Friday driving westbound on 90 from Vantage I think I saw a majority of the Colockum Elk herd along the highway.  Crazy how many elk you can see driving the interstate.
IAFF Local 2898
Hoyt Turbohawk

Offline Nwtrekker23

• Tracker
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2017, 08:21:25 AM »
Yeah go figure right by the interstate. Just got back from a weekend of hiking around in knee deep snow. Hunted the snow line saw tons of does and a forked buck. Just not in the right spot I suppose.
Elk:1 nwtrekker:0
Looks like tag soup this year for that.
Unless I can sneak out of work Friday hahaha who knows.

Offline Smokey Bear

• Tracker
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2017, 01:04:32 PM »
I hunted the bottom of Coleman Canyon the last few days of the late hunt.  Saw tons of deer, only 3 Elk, a bachelor herd of 3 - 6x6 bulls.  They were impressive!  Didn't see anything else or any fresh sign.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]