collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: It's called respect  (Read 16391 times)

Offline ruttnbuck

• blacktail finatic
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Scout
It's called respect
« on: October 29, 2017, 03:40:21 PM »
Ok I'm not going too get all riled again  but I just want to know why some hunters or so called hunters think its a good idea to drive around another hunters vehicle after he just watched them get out of the vehicle and walk into another area? (Too clarify the area was only 300yrds long that went too a dead end )I'm not sure about everyone else but I was always taught to be respectful and would never think twice about going into an area that I knew someone else was in. 

Offline Jellymon

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
Re: It's called respect
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2017, 04:14:20 PM »
Drivable roads on public land equals vehicles. We have been getting away from roads the last few years and see more animals, less people, and no cars. I agree with your post and understand the frustration, but there will always be "those people" and all you can do is hunt where they can't get thier vehicles. Or just ignore them and use thier presence/noise to your advantage. I can't remember how many times I've been near animals as they watched the road hunter drive by never to be seen by them.

Offline ruttnbuck

• blacktail finatic
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2017, 04:45:59 PM »
Blows my mind  how many ignorant people are in the woods with guns and with there kids teaching them they're idea of proper ethics . Looking forward to the next generation...Not

Offline spoonman

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2017, 04:51:20 PM »
It's a  tough game out there. Roads=cars and we just have to get use to it or move into a place that cars can't go. I have a spot that is on a dead end due to a closed gate and I have to pass people (never seen anybody willing to walk) to get to that spot. Yesterday morning I  passed a truck and the guys were sitting in it glassing a cut, they weren't happy I passed. The gate that I drive to is a ways back and after the gate it's a 4 mile walk to the area that we hunt. It pays off to walk in and get out of the rig, not saying you didn't but it's hard to please everyone when there is so many hunters. Our 4 mile walk paid off with a small buck and not another person in our area. I do understand every situation is different so please  don't take offense.

Offline emac

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2017, 04:53:20 PM »
I will play the devils advocate here. Hoe do you know that they knew the road ended in 300 yards. Maybe they have never hunted the area and didnt know the road was a dead end. I drive by hunters parked on the side of the road all the time and alot on dead end roads does that mean i should stop and turn around. Its public land and i understand your frustration and hunters ethics. If it was me i would of stoped and asked where you were going hunt and if you said you were going to the left i would of went to the right.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Offline ruttnbuck

• blacktail finatic
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 05:09:42 PM »
You can play devil advocate all you  want, public land or not if I see a vehicle  parked on a road aka a spur rd, I'm plain and simple turning around  and trying my best not to disturb there hunt and going to another area of the 500,000 acres of "public land" that's out there. If I see a hunter parked at a gate  before i got there,waiting till daylight ill walk over to his vehicle and ask him if he minds if I go in after him or ask where he's going and go the opposite.  In my mind its common sense.

Offline notellumcreek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 05:12:02 PM »
Had it happen 2 times the other day in kapowsin. Lucky for me you have to actually hike over the edge of the hill about 100 yds off the road to actually see most of the cut and the tree line. I guess some people get lucky killing deer driving roads but dont ruin it for the guys who put in the work to bag an animal.
CBM- commemorative bucks of michigannn

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 05:18:37 PM »
Today I had two guys block a road that wasn’t a spur. I opted to avoid confrontation but it pissed me off as the road they were blocking led to a big area with multiple places to go.

Offline ruttnbuck

• blacktail finatic
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 05:32:08 PM »
Antlershed , now that's just wrong but good for you for not making the situation get out of hand.  I had my boy with me today and believe me,  I had to bite my tongue very hard.   :bash:

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2017, 05:43:33 PM »
Roads are available for anyone to drive as little or as far as they want. Even if the rig is parked at the end doesn't mean they have to or even should leave. There is plenty of area to hunt and getting bent out of shape about it does no good.  :twocents:
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline BA Mongor

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2017, 06:07:49 PM »
As part of woods security, but on a day off hunting, I had to drag a small Toyota backwards 30ft, because he thought it would be smart to park in front of a through gate. It's not a mainline gate, but it's a way out, and a heck of a drive back if you can't use it. I agree with a lot of individuals just not getting it. I had (2) young guys drive around my truck on a dead end road. The road only goes for another 1/4 mile, and if you stop at this corner your sound doesn't carry.

These boys rounded the corner as I was walking up it, and they kept coming! I just stayed in the middle of the skid road shaking my head, until they finally figured it out that I wasn't going to move. They backed down. That'll teach me to park off to the side, and leave just enough room for someone to get by, in case they did really need to get up there. It used to be that people got the hint.

I also agree with the other post when individuals are already at a gated spot. If it's a big area, and they're still there, talk to them. It's just common courtesy. :twocents:

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2017, 06:39:52 PM »
Is hunting season over yet, this old argument is just as old and tired in 2017 as it was in 2009.

Either go to places without roads or get over yourself and realize roads are for driving.  This is truly your problem not an ethical dilemma. It was also my problem when it used to annoy me.  I simply changed how I hunt and how I respond to others.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2017, 06:51:49 PM »
Happens all the time, I was passed by four wheelers in a closed area, saw a guy set up a huge camp blocking road access (foot only) into an area.  The best we can do is do our best and teach what we feel are proper ethics to those we have influence over.

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2017, 06:56:38 PM »
Take into consideration some of these people may be handicap hunting.

Offline hunter399

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2017, 07:19:58 PM »
Trying to keep my post respectful,not every road Hunter is all they do a lot times ,i will hike behind gates in the mourning,then maybe finish the day driving in the evening or the other way around,road hunt mourning ,gate hunt evenings.Public land is for everybody!,I find it very rude and disrespectful to block roads,stand in the middle of the road and make people backup,or to think you own the last 300 feet of a road cause it dead ends.I feel ya about the amount of people out ,roads are there for everybody to use,I have a few stands that are close to public road and I get a little disappointed every time someone comes down the road.But you have to deal with it ,or hunt elsewhere.
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]