collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anyone blowing a distress whistle in Bear Canyon (GMU 360) this Saturday?  (Read 2540 times)

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
I was posted on a hill above Bear Canyon this Saturday afternoon, watching a cow on the opposite hillside (hoping she was the sentinel for a bigger group -- she wasn't, but that's beside the point). 

All the sudden I hear a shot go off from deep inside the canyon, followed by a person yelling something inaudible due to the echos.  I figured they were yelling to their hunting partners or something, but then they blew three long loud blasts on a whistle. 

I responded with the same on my whistle, and they blew 3 blasts again.  I figured someone was in trouble and started high-tailing it down into the canyon, but about a minute and a half later I hear the person yelling again "OK!  (inaudible) OK!"

I tried asking if they were OK and they seemed to say "Yes I'm OK, you don't have to come down here" but with the echos it was hard to make out. 

I hung out for another 15 minutes just above the canyon listening for any other action and didn't hear anything, so I headed back to the truck. 

I asked around by no one seemed to be aware of the situation.  Maybe a hunter shot a bear that got pissed and charged before finally expiring? Maybe someone fired to spook off a cougar that ran off when the whistling started?  I can't come up with a plausible scenario. 

Hoping the person in the canyon is on here so I can hear the story  :chuckle:

Offline pashok23

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Tag

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
Tag
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline dave24

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Re: Anyone blowing a distress whistle in Bear Canyon (GMU 360) this Saturday?
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2017, 01:05:51 PM »
Saw same cow she was heading into Oak canyon bye herself cow Hunter saw her was hunting her from the road figured she was coming into the water.maybe the whisle was a hiker that spooked her and the ght didn't want t ok get shot? Do you have a branch antler permit if not see any ?

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
Re: Anyone blowing a distress whistle in Bear Canyon (GMU 360) this Saturday?
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 05:03:09 AM »
Saw same cow she was heading into Oak canyon bye herself cow Hunter saw her was hunting her from the road figured she was coming into the water.maybe the whisle was a hiker that spooked her and the ght didn't want t ok get shot? Do you have a branch antler permit if not see any ?
Maybe so. 

I've only seen one 5x5 so far in 360, but it got spooked off by a couple-a jerk wads not wearing orange, shooting at it, and then yelling about thinking it was a spike.  (and yes I reported it). 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal