collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Seattle Area Veteran interested in Deer, Upland Bird and Waterfowl hunting.  (Read 2418 times)

Offline Tinker Pearce

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
    • https://www.facebook.com/michael.t.pearce.7
Early season deer hunting on my friend's land near Chehalis came up dry. I'll try again in late-season, but in the meantime my wife reminded me that I have shotguns and a small-game and waterfowl license.  The last time I bird-hunted was in Kansas in 1983, and as I recall it was a pretty informal affair. Seems like it's a bit more complicated in western Washington, and I really have no idea how to go about it or where to go. I've tried to research it online, with the primary result being a headache.

I could use some guidance or maybe a hunting-buddy that knows the ropes.

I'm 55 years old and in OK condition, but serious hiking is probably not in the cards.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Shoutout to a veteran: Thanks for serving! I'm not in your area so it's not likely I can be of much help. But welcome to the forum. You'll find someone with an extra seat in the blind.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
@terrelwa

Oh man, so much opportunity.

Is a guided waterfowl hunt in eastern Washington out of the question?  That's a great way to get your whistle wet.  A good outfit will put you over $10,000-20,000 worth of decoys in prime flight paths with a guide to do your calling for a modest $250-300.  I know Echterkamp just had a group of 6 guys limited by 7:30 in the morning. 

Hunting big game in western WA can be a very frustrating affair for someone starting out.  The animals are notoriously difficult to hunt (blacktail) and they live in some of the thickest country around.

Whatever you do, don't give up.  There is a lot of opportunity for hunting in WA.

Offline Tinker Pearce

• Pilgrim
@terrelwa

Oh man, so much opportunity.

Is a guided waterfowl hunt in eastern Washington out of the question?  That's a great way to get your whistle wet.  A good outfit will put you over $10,000-20,000 worth of decoys in prime flight paths with a guide to do your calling for a modest $250-300.  I know Echterkamp just had a group of 6 guys limited by 7:30 in the morning. 

Hunting big game in western WA can be a very frustrating affair for someone starting out.  The animals are notoriously difficult to hunt (blacktail) and they live in some of the thickest country around.

The budget is tight but hat might actually be doable, and I was planning on looking into that.  Yes, Blacktails are tough to hunt- typically I get a story rather than an animal, lol. Deer hunting has become more about getting off my butt and getting into the woods, with the added bonus that I might take some meat home.

Whatever you do, don't give up.  There is a lot of opportunity for hunting in WA.

Offline ctwiggs1

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Frontiersman
One guided hunt with them will likely light the spark for you.  After that, it'll be all about burning gas to find your little honey holes for waterfowl.  They're loads of fun and a real treat when cooked right.

As for big game.... Just don't give up.  My style of hunting has been molding over the years and is still consistently molding now.  You just have to keep an open mind and keep learning about what works, what doesn't, and what you enjoy.

Offline Duckgtr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
  • Active Duty USMC
@Tinker Pearce

If you are a veteran check out the fallen outdoors on the facebook. Lots of waterfowl hunts get posted this time of year with myself included as one of the guys that post hunts to take other vets out. If your not a veteran please keep in contact with me as after I get back from my Colorado mule deer hunt for the next week and half I will be switching gears to target snow geese in the Skagit valley.

Offline Tinker Pearce

• Pilgrim
@Tinker Pearce

If you are a veteran check out the fallen outdoors on the facebook. Lots of waterfowl hunts get posted this time of year with myself included as one of the guys that post hunts to take other vets out. If your not a veteran please keep in contact with me as after I get back from my Colorado mule deer hunt for the next week and half I will be switching gears to target snow geese in the Skagit valley.

Thanks Duckgtr- I will do that!

Offline washingtonmuley

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
@Tinker Pearce

Join The Fallen Outdoors all veterans west coast page on fb and you will hook up with veterans for some hunts. Hit me up with any questions.

Offline Tinker Pearce

• Pilgrim
@Tinker Pearce

Join The Fallen Outdoors all veterans west coast page on fb and you will hook up with veterans for some hunts. Hit me up with any questions.

I've asked to join- TY!

Offline washingtonmuley

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
You should be approved shortly.

Offline Duckgtr

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Scout
  • Active Duty USMC
Please introduce yourself on the page, so I can add you to my list of vets I will be trying to get out this year between guided hunts.

Offline Tinker Pearce

• Pilgrim
Will do- and thank you.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal