collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Smoking Deal!! Savage Axis for $150  (Read 14235 times)

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Smoking Deal!! Savage Axis for $150
« Reply #45 on: November 01, 2017, 09:41:45 AM »
You can adjust the trigger by cutting loops off the spring.  Do it one loop at a time until you get where you want it.  The come fairy heavy from the factory.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have you made this mod?  I've heard that in addition to lightening the pull, it also makes the trigger feel squishy.  True?

Yeah, I learned about it on YouTube and did it to my daughter's rifle.  She was shooting about 1.2 MOA before and consistently under 1 MOA after (closer to 0.7 most days).  I wouldn't consider it squishy, but surely not as crisp as the Timney on my rifle.  It probably depends on where you are coming from, if you are a 1,000 yard precision shooter your opinion will likely be different than a normal shooter like myself.  It's a free mod, if you don't like it you can always do something else or even sell the gun for what you have in it.  It does the job nicely for what we use it for - a 250 yard youth rifle.  I would have no problem shooting it out to the caliber's max range and have thought about carrying it for my deer hunt as the youth version is so compact and light and would be a dream to carry.

For the price, we got a sub MOA gun for an incredibly low price.  For what you get, the value is incredible.

Offline wafisherman

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #46 on: November 01, 2017, 09:49:54 AM »
I have the 270 and got my son the 243.  The box mag is garbage.  But other than that, no complaints.  We don't shoot over 200 yards often, so for our purposes, the trigger and accuracy are great.  They are nice to carry around all day, and still light enough to shoot offhand when you are worn out.

I put the scope on my 22 and upgraded that.  Other than that, I think it will serve me fine for years.  My son's 243 retains the original scope and I have no plans to upgrade it - seems to work great for the kids.

I may play with the spring just because I'm curious.  But not out of necessity.  But again, I use it as a hunting tool and not into competitive distance shooting or anything...

Offline N7XW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #47 on: November 01, 2017, 09:58:03 AM »
Great info, thanks guys.

Offline N7XW

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2017, 12:52:33 PM »
Just found this little gem.  Trigger adjustment from stock 6lbs to 3.5lbs for less than $20.

http://www.mcarbo.com/savage-axis-trigger-spring-kit.aspx

Installation video and review:

Offline Lightning_Rider

• Scout
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2017, 01:02:11 PM »
You can adjust the trigger by cutting loops off the spring.  Do it one loop at a time until you get where you want it.  The come fairy heavy from the factory.

Thanks for that info. I just ordered the youth compact in 7mm/08 for my daughter.

I caved in and ordered the same gun same caliber for the oldest daughter. There are some unbelievable buys at cabelas right now, kinda makes me wonder if they are unloading everything to start converting over to bass pro  :bdid: ... hopefully not

Online JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2017, 01:08:23 PM »

Thanks for that info. I just ordered the youth compact in 7mm/08 for my daughter.

I caved in and ordered the same gun same caliber for the oldest daughter. There are some unbelievable buys at cabelas right now, kinda makes me wonder if they are unloading everything to start converting over to bass pro  :bdid: ... hopefully not
Been wondering the same too.  My guess is they overbought earlier in the year, and probably have a bunch of inventory on the way for black Friday and Xmas.  They would need to unload a lot of this stuff to not compete with the future deals; or maybe this is kind of like a type of pre-black Friday bait...so people come back later looking for more deals.   :dunno:
With CNC, I can't imagine the actions and barrels costing all that much to produce anymore.

Offline Lightning_Rider

• Scout
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2017, 01:40:42 PM »

Been wondering the same too.  My guess is they overbought earlier in the year, and probably have a bunch of inventory on the way for black Friday and Xmas.  They would need to unload a lot of this stuff to not compete with the future deals; or maybe this is kind of like a type of pre-black Friday bait...so people come back later looking for more deals.   :dunno:
With CNC, I can't imagine the actions and barrels costing all that much to produce anymore.

Plus im sure alot of it has to do with the out come of the 2016 elections, guns are not being bought up quite like they were a year ago, you look at the big companies and the earnings have been consistently down this past year.

Offline Tiger1358

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2017, 03:41:59 PM »
Whoever missed the Savage axis sale, here is the Axis II with an Accutrigger, only 50 bucks more than the previous one. Still a solid deal

https://grabagun.com/savage-22616-fg-axis-ii-xp-243-win.html

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2017, 04:06:42 PM »

Offline Lightning_Rider

• Scout
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2017, 04:10:01 PM »
The youth compact in 223 or 7/08 is still available for $199.88 and has a $50 mail in rebate to bring it down to $150.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/shooting/firearms/centerfire-rifles/bolt-action-centerfire-rifles/pc/104792580/c/553829580/sc/105522480/i/105523380/savage-axis-compact-bolt-action-centerfire-rifles/1960559.uts?slotId=0

the remington sendero's and 700 mountain SS rifles are still available at a great price as well!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2017, 07:57:24 PM »
You can also buy $100 gift cards on eBay for $82 and some of the $20 off coupons work for firearms. 

Yep, I’m that thrifty at times.

Offline MrSmallington

• Tracker
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2017, 11:02:49 AM »
bought the 30-06 axis II model and a boyds stock for it... for around 300& i have an amazing rifle and accurate as hell to!

Offline PastorJoel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #57 on: November 10, 2017, 12:08:26 PM »
My order arrived at the store and then they canceled it and shipped them off somewhere else before I could go get it.   :o :o

They are going to try and track them down for me.  I won't hold my breath.  I spent an hour on the phone today trying to get this resolved.

Offline magnanimous_j

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #58 on: November 10, 2017, 12:19:48 PM »
You can also buy $100 gift cards on eBay for $82 and some of the $20 off coupons work for firearms. 

Yep, I’m that thrifty at times.

Interesting. Have you ever got burned on one? What's to stop someone from sending you a card with no money on it?

Online bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #59 on: November 10, 2017, 12:48:31 PM »
I got an email from Cabelas last Saturday notifying me that the gun was in, but I was away elk hunting all week so I haven't been able to pick it up yet, but will tomorrow morning. Hopefully it actually is there! I haven't received any cancellation notices so I assume it's still there waiting for me. I already paid for it so it better be! Does anyone know if they charge for the background check?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 08:43:32 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]