collapse

Advertisement

Poll

Do you see any reason why anyone would want to decommission or dispose of a firearm?

No
41 (47.7%)
Yes - Because it's unsafe to fire.
41 (47.7%)
Yes - Because it's no longer wanted/needed.
2 (2.3%)
Yes - Because it's an antique or keepsake.
2 (2.3%)
Yes - Because there are small children or someone unstable in the house.
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Author Topic: Firearm Disposal?  (Read 3612 times)

Offline BigFishGuy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: BigFishGuy
Firearm Disposal?
« on: October 31, 2017, 01:44:19 PM »
I know we all love our firearms and many of us have family heirlooms, but I'm wondering if anyone thinks there is ever a reason for getting rid of one without selling it, or making it so it doesn't work anymore.

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
Re: Firearm Disposal?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 02:26:52 PM »
Sure. Say I had an old damascus barrel shotty that someone wanted to buy just for decoration.  I'd pull the guts so some idiot with a lawyer on speed dial doesn't name me in a suit when the barrel blows up in his hand.
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 11:25:52 AM »
Yep, I have an old .22 Sears rifle that is unsafe.  The safety doesn't always work and the trigger will go off if bumped.  Gunsmiths can't fix it and it just sits in my safe.  It does have sentimental value, but it is an old junky rifle that I can't ever safely shoot so I have been thinking of getting rid of it.  I don't want to sell it to someone who may use it and having it sit in the safe doesn't bring me joy.

Offline CP

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 12:04:52 PM »
I cut up and old shotgun once -bolt action 20g - that someone had filed the trigger on so that it would go off sometimes just by closing the bolt.  Wasn't worth much to start with so I took a cutting torch to it and threw the pieces in the scrap metal tub.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 12:09:07 PM »
I suppose if there was no sentimental value perhaps... but i would likely try to fix it. It isnt easy to build metal back up but I would likely give it a try, or try making the part... pretty amazing what you can do with a grinder, file and sand paper. 2c

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline littlemac

• Scout
  • Life Member NRA, Life RMEF, Life SCI
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 06:19:36 AM »
I have an old octagon barrel 44-40 Winchester left by my grandpa to me when I was about 12.  My dad took out the firing pin to make it safe to display over the fireplace

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
"It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor even the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change."

-- Charles Darwin

Offline trapp01

• Hunter
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 07:55:49 AM »
I bought a brand new semi auto 22 for $25 bucks off a guy that was hanging out with a few buddies. I got home and had a feeling that it felt fishy so I called the police department and they said bring it in and they'll run the numbers but if it was stolen then I would need to produce a name and if I didn't name someone that I could be charged with a crime. I didn't know the guys name so I tossed it in the lake. My 18 year old self made questionable decisions.

Offline Alpine Mojo

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2017, 06:16:43 PM »
I called the police department and they said bring it in and they'll run the numbers but if it was stolen then I would need to produce a name and if I didn't name someone that I could be charged with a crime.

Charged with a crime?  For what?  You didn't do anything wrong.  I call B.S. on that.  You don't need to produce a name.  I was in a similar situation a few years ago and  I told the police I didn't remember who I bought it from and that was the end of that.  It was a private sale and none of the gov's business as far as I was concerned.

The Bill of Rights still applies today.  You are innocent unless the state can prove you guilty.  Hell, I didn't even bother with calling a lawyer.  The police didn't have a leg to stand on and they knew it.
Friend: "Are you free tonight?"
Me:  (Gazing into the distance as a bald eagle screeches)  "I'm always free"

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2017, 06:21:46 PM »
I have an old octagon barrel 44-40 Winchester left by my grandpa to me when I was about 12.  My dad took out the firing pin to make it safe to display over the fireplace

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

:yeah:

That is about as "decommissioned" one of my firearms will ever be.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 04:18:15 AM »
been thinking about taking the firing pin out of my late father in law's remington 760 and making a wall hanger out of it.  the chamber is so out of spec that brass is hard to eject after firing and the empties are visibly bulged :yike: kind of makes me sad, i would've liked to hunt with it, but just doesn't seem safe to use.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline eldplanko

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 06:52:24 PM »
Yep, I have an old .22 Sears rifle that is unsafe.  The safety doesn't always work and the trigger will go off if bumped.  Gunsmiths can't fix it and it just sits in my safe.  It does have sentimental value, but it is an old junky rifle that I can't ever safely shoot so I have been thinking of getting rid of it.  I don't want to sell it to someone who may use it and having it sit in the safe doesn't bring me joy.

I had a similar situation (I think it was a Sears 22LR as well)... I tried my best to fix it, but in the end it wasn't worth the risk. I took a few parts out of the action and turned it into the city police station for disposal.

Offline treefarmer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 08:48:58 PM »
Bought a no name break action kids 22 at a garage sale for 20 bucks couple years ago.  Perfect for kids to shoot until something happened and a Shell fragment hit 10 year old in the forehead enough to draw blood.   Haven’t shot since but just can’t bring myself to cut it in half and throw away like I said I would.     Need to do something before i croak and someone else try’s to shoot er

Offline dreadi

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
    • http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
    • Black Hammer Arms
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 01:40:34 AM »
A customer brought me a 1911 to service that was given to him. He hadn’t shot it because the plunger tube falls off and the grip safety didn’t work.

Turned out that Bubba had done his best work on the pistol and the amount of work it needed would be equal to buying a new gun. The pistol will now become a wall hanger.
BLACK HAMMER ARMS
Buy A Suppressor http://www.silencershop.com/blackhammerarms
1911 Pistolsmithing
Firearm Refinishing
GLOCK Certified Armorer
CMMG Authorized Dealer
NEMO Arms Authorized Dealer
http://www.blackhammerarms.com
http://www.facebook.com/blackhammerarms
https://www.instagram.com/blackhammerarms/

Offline hoyt2002

• Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 02:14:08 AM »
I called the police department and they said bring it in and they'll run the numbers but if it was stolen then I would need to produce a name and if I didn't name someone that I could be charged with a crime.

Charged with a crime?  For what?  You didn't do anything wrong.  I call B.S. on that.  You don't need to produce a name.  I was in a similar situation a few years ago and  I told the police I didn't remember who I bought it from and that was the end of that.  It was a private sale and none of the gov's business as far as I was concerned.

The Bill of Rights still applies today.  You are innocent unless the state can prove you guilty.  Hell, I didn't even bother with calling a lawyer.  The police didn't have a leg to stand on and they knew it.

It could be charged as possession of stolen property. It would be a stretch to charge it considering the person volintaraly brought the gun in to have it checked. Tecnically it's possable to be charged.

Offline Tracker0721

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 05:57:07 AM »
I know of a few people that want to trash firearms and I’ve never understood why. If it’s way to unsafe then yeah, bye bye firing pin and she’ll be a wall mount but most the parts can be stripped and sold or something. The throw away society of today sucks, but as a trash truck driver who still has to get out and load cans I can’t wait to find a can full of guns! One guy found a can with 6-7 old bear and some other name longbows/recurves! The whole ones mans trash is another treasure was spot on that day.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short.

Amen

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull