collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: looking to buy a trail cam  (Read 4663 times)

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
Re: looking to buy a trail cam
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2017, 08:09:27 AM »
I have had nothing but issues every time I have tried a Bushnell camera, and I’ve tried 3-4 different models. The Browning Strike Force cameras have been excellent though, and my cousin has had good results with his Stealth Cams.

Offline Doublelunger

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2017, 08:23:24 AM »
Trail cam technology has got to the point these days that you're fairly safe with most of the big brands.  I think no matter what you'll always have the chance of getting a lemon when they're mass produced in sweat shops in china though.  My advice would be to find a camera on sale for $70-100, that normally retails for $130-150. If I were in the market right now I would get Covert mp8 off ebay for like $89. :twocents:

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2017, 08:28:14 AM »
On a side not. Always make sure the sd card works with TC. My bushnell only likes scandisk 32gb cards. While my stealthcam will work with any brand of sd card. Nothing sucks more when you put the work in and have nothing to show for it  :bash:

Offline Duckhunter14

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSF Life Member, RMGA
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 09:58:04 AM »
Another vote for Moultrie. I like the viewing screen in mine. So I can scan through pics really quick when I get to the tree without a camera, battery life is good, and they take great photos/video. I run the Moultrie M-888i, if you shop around you can find them on sale for about $100.
The testing of your faith produces perseverance

Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!

Offline PolarBear

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Explorer
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 10:02:17 AM »
I use mine for security cameras around my place.  I have had best luck with Moultrie and Wildgame Innovations.  Even when someone comes ripping down my driveway I still get a nice, clear pic of the plates and faces.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 10:26:16 AM »
Another vote for Bushnell. Trophys are good, Aggressors way better. You can usually find the aggressors on sale for $100.

@Stein   Curious what a tubular style lock is? Like a hitch stinger lock?

Something like this:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0839/9519/products/tubular_switch_lock.jpg?v=1476993569

When I worked for Pepsi, we had a few of these drilled and switched to a new model that was drill resistant.  After that, no problems.  If someone made a case with these that bolted to the tree, people would have a much tougher time getting them off.

Offline ThomMedic

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: evergreen sportsmen club, little rock, wa
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2017, 06:47:39 PM »
Sorry if this seems dumb, I don't want to lose time and money on my own assumptions.

I keep reading about all the cameras that are found and stolen. Is this because they emit a flash or other detectable sign that humans can locate easily. It just seems so counter-intuitive what should be so difficult to find are so often stolen.

Thanks

Offline NOCK NOCK

• Timberdog Slabs
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
  • Timberdog Slab Designs
    • https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432
    • Timberdogslabs.com
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2017, 07:54:06 PM »
Sorry if this seems dumb, I don't want to lose time and money on my own assumptions.

I keep reading about all the cameras that are found and stolen. Is this because they emit a flash or other detectable sign that humans can locate easily. It just seems so counter-intuitive what should be so difficult to find are so often stolen.

Thanks

Personally I think that the majority of "stolen" cams has to do with folks using the cheesy web strap provided with the cam to hang it.  More than likely, a lot of the supposable "stolen" cams were actually taken down by a bear or elk, they mess with them constantly.

Do yourself a favor, use a security box, screw it to the tree, and use a Python cable. This setup is not completely theft proof(nothing is) but makes it a lot harder for a thief.

I run 15 cams every year and have never had 1 stolen (knock on wood) Also. put em up high out of human line of sight

Live edge Slab woods, Log Furniture, Beds, Dressers, Tables, Chairs, Custom signs, Décor, Cedar fencing w/artwork cutting. Supplies
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100063502962432

Offline davk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Hunter
  • Groups: NRA, GOA
« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2017, 06:23:33 PM »
I have a bunch of Moultries.  With that said I probably wouldnt recommend them.  I have one A-7i that has worked great for the last 3 years. But range and photo quality is probably below average but decent for the price.  They are also relatively large so packing them in and visibility is an issue.  I bought 5 888i last year.  3 failed within 2 months, exchanged at cabelas for 3 more, 2 more failed, exchanged.  Now Im past returning them to cabelas and have at least 2 that like to randomly stop working after about a month or so.  I just put them out again so we will see if that continues ... and I havent checked others vary from 3-6 months so not sure if those are working.

Offline Britt-dog

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2017, 01:23:12 PM »
Covert.

Offline Tenkara

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2017, 02:44:11 PM »
I've had nothing but bad luck with Bushnell and cuddeback cams, I have been using a variety of moultrie cams, a30i which are ok, have had great luck with 999i and 888, 888i, i have 12 moutrie cams now and plan on sticking with moultrie.  :twocents:

Offline huntingfool7

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: huntingfool7
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2017, 06:22:35 AM »
Surprised at the Bushnell bashing on this thread.  I'm on the wet side and mine stay out year around.  I've had great success with several Bushnell models.  My longest running camera is an old Bushnell that is over 15 years old. 

I have Reconyx, Bushnell and Primos.  Out of 3 Primos cameras, one lasted more than six months.  That one Primos is on it's second winter and has a little glitchiness to the night videos. 
The Reconyx is top of the line.  At $650/ea, they should be flawless and deliver.  Reconyx requires a number code to use.  All trail cameras should require a code.  All correspondence with trail camera manufacturers should include a request for a use code on future models.  This would nearly eliminate motivation for theft.
Bushnell Aggressors have become my go-to camera.  They are moderately priced, take good pictures, super fast photo trigger speed, take good video (3 second trigger speed delay on video), really good range detection, have a hybrid photo/video option. 

Pick a decent camera to start with and avoid mix and match accessories.  Use a lock box.  Any camera without a box is asking to be removed.  A lock box also makes it super easy to get the camera back on target after swapping cards.

Most camera problems are battery or SD card related.  Use lithium batteries.  Don't mix SD cards with other camera brands.  Format your SD cards when changing them out. 

Offline pope

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2017, 07:13:44 AM »

Thanks

Personally I think that the majority of "stolen" cams has to do with folks using the cheesy web strap provided with the cam to hang it.  More than likely, a lot of the supposable "stolen" cams were actually taken down by a bear or elk, they mess with them constantly.

Do yourself a favor, use a security box, screw it to the tree, and use a Python cable. This setup is not completely theft proof(nothing is) but makes it a lot harder for a thief.

I run 15 cams every year and have never had 1 stolen (knock on wood) Also. put em up high out of human line of sight

I'll bet you're correct. I found my Spypoint IR7 on the ground with the strap pulled through the buckle, but still Cobra cabled to the tree. I initially thought it was attempted theft. Now I believe the elk in the attached photo pulled it down. This photo was taken at 45 degrees off vertical (so after it was pulled off the tree), I rotated it back to vertical on Photoshop. The dates were completely out of wack, but the problem was solved with a new clock battery. This camera has survived 5 years of rain, heat, cold off and on...and now a playful animal.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]