collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Hunting has changed!  (Read 5418 times)

Offline lilshootergirl

• Women's Board
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
    • lilshootergirl
Hunting has changed!
« on: November 03, 2017, 05:18:12 PM »
Growing up my parents took us 4 kids out every year to go hunting, oh those were the days, plentiful of animals, respectful hunters! With a sadden heart I quit for 20 years, now hunting isn't like it used to be! I'd be awake before anyone else, even thou I didn't have a gun, but was part of a heritage that's been passed down by both sides of my family, around the fire my father would tell us of his hunts with his grandfather and his father! Hunting isn't the same! Woods are crowded with people not many animals to be hunted, people trashing the ground with litter, groups of hunters have made it into a drunk feast!  I hope more men & women take your kids or grandkids or even a kid that's always dreamed of hunting out with them so these dreams and adventures be passed down to the next generations, and teach them what hunting is about, show how to love and respect of our forest and the living things that live there!  Please tech these values and make examples not just for our kids but for others, so we will have the privilege years to come ! That's being a American hunting
I'm a huntress.

Offline GreggHunts2hard4u

• Hunter
Re: Hunting has changed!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 05:22:45 PM »
Amen to that

Offline biggfish

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 05:46:56 PM »
Yeah, I grew up with the to many hunters in the field problem. So we drove around looking to jump shoot deer in fields of the road. If there was a spot to walk in there was already av hundred guys there. We filled tags and it was fine. Lots of idiots out there drunken camps, to each there own. Growing up there wasn't near as much trash dumped in the woods like today. I still hold on to the pack it in pack it out motto, when I was a boy scout we were required to leave the woods better than we found it. I wish more people would get in board with that.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 06:25:36 PM »
Lots of things have changed in the last 20 years, hunting is just one of them.

Offline slowhand

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Seahawk fan for life
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 06:28:03 PM »
When I first started to bring My oldest boy hunting He had a heck of a time keeping quite and focusing on looking for Deer. I knew I needed to come up with some sort of plan to help with the long periods of no action. After all I had three boys and this was just the first one to teach all there is to know about hunting. After a few attempts at keeping him interested I figured out a game that did just what I needed.
I asked him to look for Deer and aluminum cans. Deer was the main goal but if you find a can We will quietly pick it up and take it with us. Who ever finds the most cans on our hike wins. Well let’s just say I created quite the monster. Also let’s just say that people must think that cans are biodegradable. (People are stupid, no question about that) On our first hunting trail Together we collected 52 cans! 52!!!!
Now take a guess how many of those cans were beer cans????
49!!! What the hell!!! FYI in case the alcoholic hunter that dropped all those beer cans is on here. Shame on you Sir!!
This was in Gmu 352 (Nile) during Elk bow hunting season.
So over the 5 days of Elk hunting you can not imagine how many cans We collected.
A truly ridiculous amount to say the least.
These are the people that caused all the gates to be locked.
I have three boys and no matter if We are fishing, hiking, or hunting we each have a plastic bag to pick up trash left behind by the same people that dropped all the beer cans. All my boys even my oldest still understands that We are picking up after the guys that got all the gates locked. Let’s just say they don’t like those guys one bit.
When We climb Deer burger Hill and they are on Mile number 6 I remind them that I used to drive up here and camp right there. The good old days. They really were good.
Seahawks
Hunting
Fishing
In That order

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 06:31:41 PM »
It's pretty crazy, I picked up quite a few this year.  On the other hand, I kind of admire the dedication to carry in a six pack to some of the nasty steep spots I found them - 2 miles from the road and a big elevation gain, much through not so pleasant territory.

Offline tgomez

• Sourdough
  • "IF IT BLEEDS, WE CAN KILL IT!"
  • Groups: Evergreen Archery Club, Spokane Rifle Club, NRA
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 06:36:07 PM »
I have truly enjoyed hunting for my own animals the last 23 years for myself and have been tagging along for 31 years now. I am grateful to have a father who took the time to show me many great locations to hunt and how to respect the animal's and forrest that I hunt in. I feel closer to the good lord when I am hunting and truly free. I share the passion for hunting that my father shared and instilled in me years ago the same as when I was a young boy. I love to spend time with family and friends while hunting because it is about the memories you have to look back upon and experiences you can share with and teach others. At the end of the day you can't control what others do or how they choose to hunt. Just pick the one's you enjoy spending your time with and cherish those moments because you never know when you won't have the opportunity to do so. Realize what is important to you and your values,  respect the values of the ones who were gracious enough to pass it down to you and pass those same values to the ones you love and respect.  Have fun,  life is short,  God bless and good hunting.
☠🫀 ULTIMATE PREDATOR 🫀☠

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 06:42:27 PM »
Just an fyi, many woods get trashed by more than hunters.  I actually saw more people in the woods leaving trashed campsites from March fish opener to labor day than I saw during the entire deer, elk etc season.

Those beer cans are not just hunters in fact I would guess that hunters are only a minor contributor.  Seriously you have not lived until you have seen a weekend in the valley I work in. :o

I only started hunting in 2009 but have been playing in the woods since the early 1970's what's changed is more people and lots more people doing sketchy stuff.

Offline Rob Allen

• In constant need of The Savior
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2017, 06:14:11 AM »
I am 47 and am only on my 3rd year of hunting. I have however been a steelhead fisherman since i was young.
How you guys feel about  hunting is how i feel about steelheading.  That said i hunted all season  in what i thought was supposed  to be a popular unit and though i saw people driving around i only saw one othrr person  actually hunting the same place as me

I came across one camp in the private timberlands of 388 where some drinking opening weekend slobs left a pile of empty beer  bottles and shot up propane  cylinders in their fire pit.  THAT WAS STILL HOT AND SMOKING!!!
Bad apples seem commonplace  anymore teach people in your sphere of influence not to be that way.
Yet while we were still sinners Christ died for us.

Offline hunterofelk

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2017, 07:22:43 AM »
When I began hunting in Montana in the early ‘70’s, the old timers were lamenting the same views. When I was a kid I thought hunting the ultimate adventure.  Adulthood is a buzz kill. Staying young at heart is a great way to be.

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2017, 07:26:50 AM »
I agree with some of your points, especially about trashing the woods. But a quality hunting experience with campfire stories and companionship is still available. You make your own experience. If you don't like all of the hunters, consider a bow or ML for the future hunts.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Online Bullkllr

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 08:04:28 AM »
When I began hunting in Montana in the early ‘70’s, the old timers were lamenting the same views. When I was a kid I thought hunting the ultimate adventure.  Adulthood is a buzz kill. Staying young at heart is a great way to be.

This is really true. It seems to cycle through with every generation.

And the trash can be bad, but honestly- it's far from a new thing. I've got over 40 seasons under my belt at this point. Back in the 70s I remember junked cars, appliances, etc. in WW timberlands. Gravel pits filled with garbage were fairly common.
Junk left at camps was too. Down in the Toutle on Weyco  land I remember what amounted to a "shanty town" with decrepit trailers and plywood/metal shacks all just left there. There was a thead recently about how cool it is to find old camp leavings- and others about how horrible it is to find newer camp trash. :dunno:

Changes, for sure. Like most things in life- it is what we make it.

I have however been a steelhead fisherman since i was young.
How you guys feel about  hunting is how i feel about steelheading.

Now the steelhead thing- that's a whole 'nuther level of screwed up :bash:
"Making good people helpless will not make bad people harmless"

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2017, 08:22:25 AM »
I agree.  I see less drunks and less trash these days than I did in the '70's and '80s. 

Less beer cans now days in all the ditches.  I think less hunters out there now compared to before helps with the amount of trash.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2017, 08:37:13 AM »
I saw trucks with non GOV plates in deep behind "authorized vehicle only" signs on public ground. Saw a guy shoot repeatedly at a sage brush, glassing with binos at times, turn and walk away without even going over and putting his tag on said sage brush. Hunting public ground is tough, and there are a ton of crazy people out there.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2017, 10:27:58 AM »
I am mixed.

I know all those hunters are out there. But In the over two weeks out hunting muzzy elk and modern deer in some very popular units, I just did not see them in the woods. Oh there were camps and rigs on the road. And people at camp fires. But not in the woods.
In the whole muzzy season I bumped into one guy hunting up a ridge I was on and a couple days later the same guy miles away on another ridge.

I have my grandson hunting with me now when he can. At 15 he has not got first blood yet except on ducks. Keeping him engaged is a top priority of mine. This year I stuffed a Wrist Rocket deep in his pack. When we were sitting down seeing nothing about mid day I could see him start to fidget a little. I suggested he dig down in his pack lower than the snack bag.

His face lit up when he pulled out that sling shot. It wasn't long before he was picking targets. Keeping kids engaged is mission one.

Back at our deer camp before I arrived this year my buddies had a group camp about 100 yards above us in the same opening. The guy had two kids with him. All of a sudden bang ,bang,Bbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb. They were plinking right in the camp. After a while when the boys wandered off my buddy went over and talked to the adult. They were shooting in the direction of a vacated road many used to access the area. They were polite and no more shooting.

Now waterfowl, I feel the pressure there
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]