collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Animal disposal  (Read 8944 times)

Offline Chase2008

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Re: Animal disposal
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2018, 08:16:55 PM »
Thanks all. She is still drinking and took a tiny bit of grain today. Still no hay and not chewing her cud. Running out of ideas to try

Have some ideas now if I need to dispose

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2018, 09:01:01 PM »
Thanks all. She is still drinking and took a tiny bit of grain today. Still no hay and not chewing her cud. Running out of ideas to try

Have some ideas now if I need to dispose
How long has it been off feed? How old? Try taking all food away but hay and water for 48 hours. Is the animal pooping?  Seriously this was my jam for 20 years, I have nursed more creatures back to health than I can even remember.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2018, 09:06:45 PM »
I’d listen to Run. She knows what’s up. Nothing but hay and water. Go for it.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Cylvertip

• Conservative Heathen
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 09:34:10 PM »
:twocents:

If you do loose her, donate her to the coyote/ cat population up in the National Forest.  Find a steep hill along the side of a NF road and drop her down the side.  If you open her up first (just the skin on the belly up to the front legs, not internal necessarily) they will find her.  you could even watch and see if you could plug a yodel dog or kitty or two in the following days.  Obviously you want to drop her somewhere that no one would notice her so that it doesn't cause a fuss. 

Plenty of spots up Green Mt. Road off of Mt Loop(41/ 4110 rd) 
May that for which I prepare never come to pass.
Don't Tread On Me!

Offline Chase2008

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 11:01:28 PM »
Run, been off feed for over a week. Will sniff hay and maybe take a bite. Took like 2 tiny nibbles of alfalfa pellets today. Will drink some water. Seems to strain while trying to urinate.

Let me I said before, dewormed. Antibiotics. Nutrient drench. Probiotics to try and start her rumen and get her chewing cud. Noting really working.

Open to anything at this point

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2018, 07:50:01 AM »
Coyotes won't touch a penicillin treated dead cow.  :twocents:

I remember a prof saying something about the 4 "S" rule in trying to stay afloat in sheep business.  Sell Sick Sheep to Survive.  Something like that.  I've also been told Sheep are some of the bravest animals in the world.  They'll stare right in the face of death.....and they're not afraid.  :chuckle:
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2018, 09:28:46 AM »
Run, been off feed for over a week. Will sniff hay and maybe take a bite. Took like 2 tiny nibbles of alfalfa pellets today. Will drink some water. Seems to strain while trying to urinate.

Let me I said before, dewormed. Antibiotics. Nutrient drench. Probiotics to try and start her rumen and get her chewing cud. Noting really working.

Really I don't know squat about sheep's diet but knowing what little I do know, you might want to avoid the rich stuff like alfalfa at this point. Pull everything but hay and water. Keep it mellow.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2018, 09:32:55 AM »

Do you have access to pasture? If so I would pull all feed just offer water and pasture. If shevisxan older ewe or raised in a sandy area she may have bad teeth in which case nothing is gonna help. Grain will just ferment in the gut so getting grain out if the diet can help if she is sour. I never had that happen but I never fed grain.
Try pasture see if she will browse.

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2018, 09:47:21 AM »
I know little about sheep.  But, I've seen some animals not feed BUT if you stuff a wad of hay/grass or whatever in their mouth, they will chew it up and swallow it.  It might be worth a chance to get something into her.
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2018, 10:39:35 AM »
If you really like this ewe and want to try and save her, call a farm vet.  If that is more than you want to spend then try the water and hay bit.  If she is suffering, put her down.
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2018, 03:24:53 PM »
If you really like this ewe and want to try and save her, call a farm vet.  If that is more than you want to spend then try the water and hay bit.  If she is suffering, put her down.

Best suggestion yet.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 08:16:45 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg