collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Chewuch quality tag  (Read 15875 times)

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Chewuch quality tag
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 09:53:26 AM »
On a side note, glad to hear that you saw that many two points, it means good things for next year.

Not good if thats all thats doing the breeding. Hopefully a few of them have some "big boy" genes in them, ...just saying.
I get tired of hearing that. Everyone is always saying we have a terrible 2pt gene in this state when in fact that's not the case. Id bet 90% of those deer are just young. To many people hunting them and every legal 3pt gets killed. If we'd let these deer get some age on them you'd realize those 2pts just need a few more years.

Total agree with you buglebuster, thats why I clarified my statement with "hopefully a few have some big boy genes", we seen quite a few big mature 2 points in the Methow this year on some of our higher elevation scouting trips(august-sept), some were in the 24-26 inch range, seems each year more and more have been being seen. I know our family usually comes across a carcass or two every year that was "someones mistake". Talked to a F and W guy who said it happens all the time over there, they hear"I could have swore I seen three points, how could a 2 point be that big".....once again, just saying :tup:

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2017, 10:09:10 AM »
Upper Cub Creek was notorious for very tall two points.
It is not hard tell an immature two point from a buck that is three years or older and will never grow another fork. We saw a couple roman nose two points up there as well over the years.
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2017, 10:30:10 AM »
Upper Cub Creek was notorious for very tall two points.
It is not hard tell an immature two point from a buck that is three years or older and will never grow another fork. We saw a couple roman nose two points up there as well over the years.

Your absolutely right Alchase,  I have a pictures of a few two points close to what your describing, heck I shot a nice 5 by 4 three years ago that with the guts out weighed 248, it was traveling with 7 does and 3 other bucks, 2 of the other bucks were 2 points and both were bigger bodied deer than the one I shot and both had probably around 24 to 26 inch spreads!

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2017, 10:33:55 AM »
Anyways, good luck to you guys with these tags :tup:

Offline jackknife

• Pilgrim
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2017, 05:27:38 PM »
All the two pts. We're all young deer.  Few of them even had their own  heriom of does.

Offline Ridgerunner50

• Tracker
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2017, 06:35:05 AM »
I scouted up on Sweetgrass this year when they reopened the road and the only deer I saw was a big mature 2pt. Spent 3 days hunting Blues up there and crossed it off the list for deer hunting due to the lack of sign. Didn't see much for deer sign till Cub Pass. Last year on Thanksgiving day I hiked up 1st creek to the top of the ridge on the road and there were 2 really nice Bucks up there so keep that in mind as it gets later in the season.

Offline jackknife

• Pilgrim
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2017, 06:49:52 AM »
I drove up sweet grass last week. Saw one deer track in the snow and a bunch of wolf tracks.

Offline JohnVH

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2017, 07:57:18 AM »
I drove up sweet grass last week. Saw one deer track in the snow and a bunch of wolf tracks.

Yep, couple years ago we saw a wolf up there, not good.

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2017, 07:25:41 PM »
Wolves are starting to take ahold up Cub, a partner of mine seen 2 huge cats up around sweetgrass 3 years ago. This year, a whole bunch of wolf tracks. A real shame :'(

Offline no.cen.wa

• Hunter
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2017, 08:00:09 PM »
I was talking to a hunter today that hunted Beaver Creek area, He and his buddy saw many wolf tracks, some newly scattered deer carcasses also. He talked to a "gamie" that told him the winter kill was 60%. The hunter said that was interesting as the winter was not that bad, the "gamie " said they count wolf and cougar kills as winter kills,,, I guess no matter what time of year it is, they will call it "winter kill"?
How bout that!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2017, 08:02:27 PM »
Was the “gamie” a game warden or a biologist?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline no.cen.wa

• Hunter
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2017, 09:01:03 AM »
Biologist

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2017, 12:21:12 PM »
I was talking to a hunter today that hunted Beaver Creek area, He and his buddy saw many wolf tracks, some newly scattered deer carcasses also. He talked to a "gamie" that told him the winter kill was 60%. The hunter said that was interesting as the winter was not that bad, the "gamie " said they count wolf and cougar kills as winter kills,,, I guess no matter what time of year it is, they will call it "winter kill"?
How bout that!

I too had heard something along the same lines when going through the check station, that explains the large amount of "winter kill" that we came across this year in 218 and 224, around 20 total and Mother Nature apparently likes to cover/bury its "winter kill", winter must have lasted into July and August because a lot of the "winter kill" still had a lot of hair on them and one little 2 point she had covered up was still in the velvet. :bash: :bash:

Offline Ridgerunner50

• Tracker
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2017, 10:14:45 AM »
Took a drive up Gunn Ranch Rd this morning, didn't see any deer at all. Did see a 3x4 crossing the West Chewuch by the power co.

Offline bear

• Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2017, 07:14:53 PM »
Took a drive up Gunn Ranch Rd this morning, didn't see any deer at all. Did see a 3x4 crossing the West Chewuch by the power co.

That's not good at all!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 05:34:44 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter