collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Where would you buy hunting/recreation property in Washington?  (Read 8599 times)

Offline TRD1911

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
Where would you buy hunting/recreation property in Washington?
« on: November 05, 2017, 08:22:40 PM »
My wife and I are going to be in the market to purchase a plot of land within the next year or so if we meet a couple of our financial goals. Ideally we would like to be just over the east side of the Cascades but know that area comes at a premium. Our budget would be around 100-150K (200-250K if the plot is large enough to split with a family friend). Some markers that we would like to hit would be adjacent to national forest or DNR land, year round water source (spring, stream, river, pond...) and an area where we stand a chance to hunt deer, bear, and elk (and turkey if possible). I've looked at maps and compared available property to hunt reports but I'd like to hear personal opinions.

So, if you were to buy land in north/south/central washington, where would you look and why?

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
Re: Where would you buy hunting/recreation property in Washington?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 08:58:41 PM »
I think it depends on where you live. Commuting back and forth on the weekend is horrible... so something across one of the passes near you.

What you should do is start a log book and take a few road trips to scout out places for sale, or likely places.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline TRD1911

• Scout
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 09:37:09 AM »
Thanks for the advice.

We dont really mind the distance. Actually, we would prefer it to be at least 4hrs away so that we feel like we are actually seperating ourselves from our daily lives for a bit. Also, that would encourage us to make more of a trip out of it and seem more like a family outing rather than a quick/thrown together decision.

We have gone out to Leavenworth/Wenatchee and the surrounding areas (about 30 minutes either direction) looking at properties and whats available. I was surprised to see some very large plots available but having a reliable water source proved to be a challenge.

We arent stuck on a specific region (such as Leavenworth) especially since elk numbers are minimal at best there. What we really like is that transition region just east of the cascades where the undergrowth thins and turns into almost alpine desert regions. I cant think of a more beautiful area. With that said, that terrain spans pretty much the entire eastern edge of the Cascades so we are definetely open to whatever is out there.

Thanks again.

Offline runamuk

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 11:22:37 AM »
If you like that terrain you might take a trip over toward Davenport or Newport.

My favorite places are outside Ellensburg and right here where I live now. If you like turkey hunting the SE or NE are full of the dumb things.

Offline Bigapplediams73

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2017, 09:58:32 PM »
Have you looked into the area between golden dale and Klickitat?  I hunt turkey up there and has all that you are looking for.

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2017, 10:28:15 PM »
Have you looked into the area between golden dale and Klickitat?  I hunt turkey up there and has all that you are looking for.

I’ve never hunted down there but it sounds like the Klickitat area would be a good match for what you’re looking for. The Yakima area doesn’t have many deer or turkeys and further north than that (Leavenworth to the border) has no elk.

I was recently in the market and for a recreational/hunting property and would have probably gotten a place down in Klickitat County if it was closer to home. I ended up opting for fewer hunting options and a shorter drive.

Enjoy the search and be patient! Also, get out there are drive around. There are a lot of recreational properties for sale by owner that are not listed on Zillow or Redfin.

Offline TRD1911

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 12:53:32 PM »
Wow, looking at pictures from Klickitat county online (Google images) and that region looks amazing! Its about a 4-5 hour drive down there and the land looks reasonably priced from what I found online. That region is definetely near or at the top of the list now. Great advice!

Offline eastsidemallard74

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • EVEN THE PRESIDENT OF PETA EVOLVED FROM A HUNTER .
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 01:10:47 PM »
I'm actually doing the same. I found it nice to just occasionally look on web sites like John L Scott, you can put in your search criteria and look at broader area on their site. Zillow is another nice site. Both are good if you know what areas you want to look in.
Is it waterfowl season yet..............

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 02:07:37 PM »
These properties might be a bit too far but by grouse flats just north of troy oregon are a couple of places. 20, and 80 acre lots.  Tons of turkey, deer and elk, not sure about the water.  If it was in Idaho I’d have already bought it, absolutely beautiful. But it is far from a big town, clarkston is about an hour away.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 02:31:06 PM »
If you like the Klickitat region you might hit up carpsniper he lives down there

Offline Bofire

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Harley YAR YAR YAR!
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 03:03:31 PM »
 :) I have some property near Fruitland. is as you describe and I like it, another plus is old friends own the property around it. got it cheap. all that said I would not do it again, I'd go to Idaho.  another hour drive, cheaper, less people, same country type, better taxes.
Carl
When the chips are down..... the buffalo is empty!!

I do not shop at Amazon

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 04:37:37 PM »
My wife and I have a piece of waterfront property with 150 ' and just shy of 20 acres, that is within 15 miles to Omak. Close to Conconully. ATV heaven.  Let us know if you might be interested... It burned in the fire of 2015. Which really doesn't mean anything, since it's a renewable resource and makes for great hunting. We have deer ( mule deer ) bear, turkey, occasional moose, cougar, coyotes etc...
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline dis_pat_

• Hunter
  • Groups: NRA Life, RMEF
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2017, 07:33:15 AM »
You could buy my 84 acres on Cowiche Creek.  GMU 368.

Offline 7mmBuckley

• Tracker
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 08:37:57 PM »
Check goldendale/klickitat out. i was born and raised in gdale. it has it all from water fowl to upland bird,elk and deer oh yea they have those big coastie black tails to;) prices are low and a very slow pace of living. Plus it has all 4 seasons. 4 hours from seattle and 3 hours from the back way from Puyallup. Good Luck

Offline TRD1911

• Scout
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2017, 09:59:46 PM »
We've definitely marked a few spots on the map in that area. We are working on a plan to drive down there and make a weekend of checking out the area. We really appreciate all the advice

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]