collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Foldable/Collapsible Trekking Poles  (Read 4985 times)

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
Foldable/Collapsible Trekking Poles
« on: November 06, 2017, 03:56:46 PM »
I used trekking poles this year for the first time. I've known that they can be a huge help for some time, but never took the dive. I actually own a pair, but they aren't collapsible, and are quite heavy.

Does anyone have recommendations for a pair that is lightweight, durable, and folds or collapses small enough to put in my Exo pack, either inside the bag, or in one of the full length storage pouches on the side? Hoping for 15-16" or so.

Trying to put my Christmas list together   :chuckle:
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
Re: Foldable/Collapsible Trekking Poles
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 04:07:27 PM »
Tag

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 04:12:03 PM »
@jackelope
Not sure he is an expert but he is a bit of a gear nut and a goat guy.  You need trekking poles when you are goat hunting or at least one if your buddy doesn't have any.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Stalkin Prey

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 04:15:26 PM »
I run leki. They collapse nicely and I put them inside my longer external side pouch. I recommend getting something with locking collapsible extensions rather then the cable/cord style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 04:17:41 PM »
So normally I have the Easton carbon trekking poles. I love them. Never leave home without them. Except when I'm going goat hunting in the sketchiest terrain I've ever been in and never needed poles more than I did there. Then I forget them at home.
A couple things. Get carbon or otherwise lightweight poles. And get the ones that cam lock into place. Not the twist lock ones. The twist to tighten into places ones are a pain in the butt to loosen and tighten adequately. Especially if your hands are cold or wet or otherwise. Lastly that's where I keep my emergency duct tape. I wrap a few feet around one of my poles and always have an emergency stash of duct tape except when I forget my poles.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Easton-Carbon-Camo-Trekking-Pole/2032867.uts
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 04:56:00 PM by jackelope »
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 05:03:53 PM »
@jackelope
Not sure he is an expert but he is a bit of a gear nut and a goat guy.  You need trekking poles when you are goat hunting or at least one if your buddy doesn't have any.

Kill one goat and you've always been a goat guy  :chuckle:  just kidding, that was a great hunt to follow. 

I respect your opinipms on gear, especially the lock in place mention. My friends were twist lock I believe and slipped constantly.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 05:06:15 PM »
@jackelope

Kill one goat and you've always been a goat guy  :chuckle:  just kidding, that was a great hunt to follow. 

I respect your opinipms on gear, especially the lock in place mention. My friends were twist lock I believe and slipped constantly.

The goat guy thing is an inside joke with @Rainier10 . Really he's the one that talks about being a goat guy all of a sudden.

P.S. a true goat guy wouldn't have left his poles at home for the biggest hunt of his life(I did).

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 05:33:06 PM »
@jackelope

The goat guy thing is an inside joke with @Rainier10 . Really he's the one that talks about being a goat guy all of a sudden.

P.S. a true goat guy wouldn't have left his poles at home for the biggest hunt of his life(I did).
At least you didnt forget your stove, then run into town buy a new one, head back up the mountain, then realize you didn’t forget your stove after all!!  It was with my gear the whole time!
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 05:35:35 PM »
I bought a nice carbon fiber pair at Costco like 5 years ago and they're still going strong. Light weight and have the cam locks
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 05:36:05 PM »
@jackelope

At least you didnt forget your stove, then run into town buy a new one, head back up the mountain, then realize you didn’t forget your stove after all!!  It was with my gear the whole time!

It just adds to the story, Jerry.
:chuckle:

Offline cbond3318

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 05:44:47 PM »
I have a twist lock set from Costco. This was their 3rd season, lots of tough miles and never had an issue with them. Should easily get another season out then.
Just tend your own and live.

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 05:44:54 PM »
Another vote for Leki. 
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 05:45:49 PM »
Hard to beat the Costco value however.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline whacker1

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 06:17:17 PM »
leki or my favorite choice are the Black Diamond Distance Carbon z are the lightest

Offline Reidus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 06:21:59 PM »
I got a bent pair of Lekis I'll make you a deal on :chuckle:

+1 for Leki. I'm sure any other trekkin pole would have  bent in the same situation. I'm not sure how I got by without them.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2017, 06:25:03 PM »

+1 for Leki. I'm sure any other trekkin pole would have  bent in the same situation. I'm not sure how I got by without them.

Send them back to Leki...they'll fix them for you.

Offline Reidus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2017, 06:37:47 PM »

Send them back to Leki...they'll fix them for you.

That would be nice! I sent them an email today.

Offline Limhangerslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2017, 07:29:50 PM »
I use the black diamond flick lock alpine carbon cork and don't have a single complaint about them.

Offline SemperFidelis97

• Sourdough
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2017, 07:35:25 PM »
The Leki micro vario Ti poles are what I run they have had hundreds of hard trail miles on them, and have held up very well.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2017, 08:43:11 AM »
I don't know much about trekking poles, but bought the wife and myself the $35 Costco cam lock carbon fiber poles this summer and have been pleased.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2017, 09:05:12 AM »
I don't know much about trekking poles, but bought the wife and myself the $35 Costco cam lock carbon fiber poles this summer and have been pleased.

Same here.  We have three or four pair.  So far they been very serviceable. 

If I were going way back in somewhere I think I might purchase something more substantial, but for our usage so far they have been more than good.   

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2017, 09:40:31 AM »
I just did some poking around on Costco.com and couldn't find any trekking poles on there. Must be a seasonal deal. Thanks for the input so far, it's helping give me some direction.

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2017, 09:44:51 AM »
I have these. Love them. SUPER light. Durable enough for how I use them.
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/trekking-poles/distance-carbon-z-pole-BD112177_cfg.html#start=5

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2017, 09:47:40 AM »
I just did some poking around on Costco.com and couldn't find any trekking poles on there. Must be a seasonal deal. Thanks for the input so far, it's helping give me some direction.

Cascade Mountain Tech supplies them, call and they can tell you if they will be carrying them next spring. 

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt

Offline bracer40

• Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2017, 09:50:56 AM »
They start showing up in the spring. I have a pair of twist and one of the cam locks. Used them for the first time this year. I'm convinced they made a huge difference on this years packout. My buddy wanted to pack his elk out in one trip with me.
I was apprehensive as I've only packed quarters before. After he helped me get my pack on, I made it to the top of the mountain. The poles helped with balance and for the frequent rest stops where I'd plant the poles and drop my shoulders onto them to take some weight off my body. Not too shabby for this nearly 60 year old guy.
“Just give me a comfortable couch, a dog, a good book, and a woman. Then if you can get the dog to go somewhere and read the book, I might have a little fun.”
― Groucho Marx

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2017, 10:20:08 AM »
The first ones on that link look like the pair I bought at Costco.

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2017, 10:28:38 AM »
For the value, the Costco poles are tough to beat. I have had a failure at an inopportune time, so I have upgraded or at least run a different pole, but they are certainly a good product  :tup: 

I prefer cam locks as well and prefer telescoping to the "tent pole" style. But that is mainly a preference thing as their are pros and cons to both. I like cork handles, BUT only if fit is comfortable to begin with. The foam is more forgiving IMO if grip ergonomics isn't right for you.

Currently I am using a set of Leki, and they seem very strong and I am liking them pretty well, but of the poles I have used the BD carbon cork has been my favorite. I will likely get another set when the need arises.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2017, 10:32:02 AM »

Same here.  The gal at Cascade Mountain Tech was very nice to talk to.  They actually called me back and said:  These are the local Costco stores that still have a few pair in stock.  I called Tacoma and had them set a couple pair aside for you.  I was purchasing them for a donation and she really went out of her way to help me out. 
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 01:37:14 PM by JDHasty »

Offline Houndhunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2017, 11:12:01 AM »
Sierra trading Post usually has a good selection of poles at a decent price. Black diamond, komperdell, and leki are all good quality brands. I prefer the fliplocks over the twist locks myself :twocents:

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2017, 12:37:46 PM »
Sierra trading Post usually has a good selection of poles at a decent price. Black diamond, komperdell, and leki are all good quality brands. I prefer the fliplocks over the twist locks myself :twocents:

I looked there and their supply seems to be a little limited right now. Can often find great deals there though.

Offline Lincoln4

• Born again Idahoan
  • Sourdough
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2017, 01:17:23 PM »

Same here.  HTe gal at Cascade Mountain Tech was very nice to talk to.  They actually called me back and said:  These are the local Costco stores that still have a few pair in stock.  I called Tacoma and had them set a couple pair aside for you.  I was purchasing them for a donation and she really went out of her way to help me out.

That's awesome.  I regret not pulling the trigger on those this past summer.  Medical bills...   :dunno:
USN 82-88
Second Amendment Foundation
Gun Owners of America
Cancer Survivor
Husband & Dad
Retired LEO
Political Refugee

Offline aaronoto

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2017, 06:10:33 PM »
Leki Micro Vario. I don’t think you’ll find a smaller foldable set. I’m 6’3 and even going downhill I still have room to extend these even longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline farmin4u_98948

• Sourdough
« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2017, 07:49:51 AM »
These are the BOMB. The built in antishock is rubber so it has no rattle.
Just because you believe something is true doesn't mean that it is true!

Offline scottcrb

• NRA, RMEF, Wa marketing director Montucky Cold Snack, MDF, BHA,
  • Business Sponsor
  • Sourdough
    • Montucky Cold Snacks
  • Groups: nra, RMEF,MDF
« Reply #36 on: November 11, 2017, 08:26:24 AM »
I use the black diamond flick lock alpine carbon cork and don't have a single complaint about them.
:yeah:

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal