collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Foldable/Collapsible Trekking Poles  (Read 4978 times)

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
Foldable/Collapsible Trekking Poles
« on: November 06, 2017, 03:56:46 PM »
I used trekking poles this year for the first time. I've known that they can be a huge help for some time, but never took the dive. I actually own a pair, but they aren't collapsible, and are quite heavy.

Does anyone have recommendations for a pair that is lightweight, durable, and folds or collapses small enough to put in my Exo pack, either inside the bag, or in one of the full length storage pouches on the side? Hoping for 15-16" or so.

Trying to put my Christmas list together   :chuckle:
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
Re: Foldable/Collapsible Trekking Poles
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 04:07:27 PM »
Tag

Offline Rainier10

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 04:12:03 PM »
@jackelope
Not sure he is an expert but he is a bit of a gear nut and a goat guy.  You need trekking poles when you are goat hunting or at least one if your buddy doesn't have any.
Pain is temporary, achieving the goal is worth it.

I didn't say it would be easy, I said it would be worth it.

Every father should remember that one day his children will follow his example instead of his advice.

The views and opinions expressed in this post are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the official policy or position of HuntWa or the site owner.

Offline Stalkin Prey

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 04:15:26 PM »
I run leki. They collapse nicely and I put them inside my longer external side pouch. I recommend getting something with locking collapsible extensions rather then the cable/cord style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 04:17:41 PM »
So normally I have the Easton carbon trekking poles. I love them. Never leave home without them. Except when I'm going goat hunting in the sketchiest terrain I've ever been in and never needed poles more than I did there. Then I forget them at home.
A couple things. Get carbon or otherwise lightweight poles. And get the ones that cam lock into place. Not the twist lock ones. The twist to tighten into places ones are a pain in the butt to loosen and tighten adequately. Especially if your hands are cold or wet or otherwise. Lastly that's where I keep my emergency duct tape. I wrap a few feet around one of my poles and always have an emergency stash of duct tape except when I forget my poles.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Easton-Carbon-Camo-Trekking-Pole/2032867.uts
« Last Edit: November 06, 2017, 04:56:00 PM by jackelope »
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 05:03:53 PM »
@jackelope
Not sure he is an expert but he is a bit of a gear nut and a goat guy.  You need trekking poles when you are goat hunting or at least one if your buddy doesn't have any.

Kill one goat and you've always been a goat guy  :chuckle:  just kidding, that was a great hunt to follow. 

I respect your opinipms on gear, especially the lock in place mention. My friends were twist lock I believe and slipped constantly.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2017, 05:06:15 PM »
@jackelope

Kill one goat and you've always been a goat guy  :chuckle:  just kidding, that was a great hunt to follow. 

I respect your opinipms on gear, especially the lock in place mention. My friends were twist lock I believe and slipped constantly.

The goat guy thing is an inside joke with @Rainier10 . Really he's the one that talks about being a goat guy all of a sudden.

P.S. a true goat guy wouldn't have left his poles at home for the biggest hunt of his life(I did).

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2017, 05:33:06 PM »
@jackelope

The goat guy thing is an inside joke with @Rainier10 . Really he's the one that talks about being a goat guy all of a sudden.

P.S. a true goat guy wouldn't have left his poles at home for the biggest hunt of his life(I did).
At least you didnt forget your stove, then run into town buy a new one, head back up the mountain, then realize you didn’t forget your stove after all!!  It was with my gear the whole time!
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 05:35:35 PM »
I bought a nice carbon fiber pair at Costco like 5 years ago and they're still going strong. Light weight and have the cam locks
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2017, 05:36:05 PM »
@jackelope

At least you didnt forget your stove, then run into town buy a new one, head back up the mountain, then realize you didn’t forget your stove after all!!  It was with my gear the whole time!

It just adds to the story, Jerry.
:chuckle:

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2017, 05:44:47 PM »
I have a twist lock set from Costco. This was their 3rd season, lots of tough miles and never had an issue with them. Should easily get another season out then.
Just tend your own and live.

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2017, 05:44:54 PM »
Another vote for Leki. 
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2017, 05:45:49 PM »
Hard to beat the Costco value however.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline whacker1

• Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2017, 06:17:17 PM »
leki or my favorite choice are the Black Diamond Distance Carbon z are the lightest

Offline Reidus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2017, 06:21:59 PM »
I got a bent pair of Lekis I'll make you a deal on :chuckle:

+1 for Leki. I'm sure any other trekkin pole would have  bent in the same situation. I'm not sure how I got by without them.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]