collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What light for coyotes?  (Read 2274 times)

Offline WSU

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
What light for coyotes?
« on: November 10, 2017, 08:49:33 AM »
I looked back through the archives but thought I'd post again.  I want to put a light on my AR for shooting yotes at night.  I'll mostly (if not only) use it at my house.  Shots up to 200 yards but most likely less.  I don't want to spend a ton of money since I won't use it much but also want it to actually work. 

What should I buy?  Red or green?  I assume a normal spot light/flash light won't work?

Offline bearmanric

• RIP Colockumelk
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
  • Tenino Wa
    • Rick Robbins  rrcalls
Re: What light for coyotes?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 12:19:38 PM »
Boonedock out doors or allpredator calls.  Rick
RIP Colockumelk
Facebook rrcalls no website.

Offline fast1

• Team: Dog Scat
  • Scout
  • one shot,make it count!
  • Groups: rmef,nra,nwtra,nwma,wspa.
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 04:20:56 PM »
There's a lot out there for this. I've used white,red & green & had success with all. Wicked, coyote light, laser genetics. Take your pick. Wicked lights is a good light for the price. Like Rick said,knowing take a look at those sites & see what's in your price range.
Take'em boys!

Offline Tracker0721

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 04:45:43 PM »
I have a wicked lights scan pro deluxe I got for $100 but really just the red light for 105 on Amazon is a great deal! And then for a gun light I just got a cheap one from Amazon(Cree wind fire or something, 200 yards no problem through a scope) but I'd go for a wicked or night eyes. Boonedock outdoors had great prices when I looked last.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short.

Amen

Offline bearmanric

• RIP Colockumelk
  • Business Sponsor
  • Frontiersman
  • Tenino Wa
    • Rick Robbins  rrcalls
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 06:34:52 PM »
I have FoxPro exspensive.. Need to get scope light I hunt by my self. Thinking wicked. Rick
RIP Colockumelk
Facebook rrcalls no website.

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 01:59:05 PM »
Here's the update for anyone interested.  I bought a red light from Wicked.  So far, I've shot two yotes at night with it in my pasture.  It works great and I can see fine out the 200 yards to the back of my pasture.  The coyotes are (were) much more unaware at night.  I watched one for a few minutes with the light before shooting it.

The other interesting thing is how smart they are.  They will not come out of the woods now.  After I shot two, for a few nights I had one that would watch from behind the fence in the woods, circle the pasture while in the woods, but it would not come out in the open.  I even threw some fresh elk bones out and a hide.  Still won't come out.  Now, I've seen no sign of them for a week and a half.  Interesting to see just how smart they are and how much time they probably spend just watching us go about our lives.

Offline Forks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA Phes. Forev.
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 03:09:05 PM »
Here's the update for anyone interested.  I bought a red light from Wicked.  So far, I've shot two yotes at night with it in my pasture.  It works great and I can see fine out the 200 yards to the back of my pasture.  The coyotes are (were) much more unaware at night.  I watched one for a few minutes with the light before shooting it.

The other interesting thing is how smart they are.  They will not come out of the woods now.  After I shot two, for a few nights I had one that would watch from behind the fence in the woods, circle the pasture while in the woods, but it would not come out in the open.  I even threw some fresh elk bones out and a hide.  Still won't come out.  Now, I've seen no sign of them for a week and a half.  Interesting to see just how smart they are and how much time they probably spend just watching us go about our lives.
Pretty sure you would be doing the same if a couple of your buddy's got whacked!!!

Offline birdshooter1189

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 03:23:17 PM »
Thanks for the update.  I just bought a sightmark photon 4.6 NV scope and extra IR flashlight for coyotes.  I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

I'm thinking about getting a gun mounted red light setup as well.  It surprises me that the coyotes don't seem to be affected much by the red light.  I wonder if that effect is red light specific, or if it works the same with green and white?

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2017, 09:43:45 AM »

Pretty sure you would be doing the same if a couple of your buddy's got whacked!!!

Very true!  The coyote spent a couple hours watching that I saw.  I thought that was pretty interesting to see just how long he was watching.

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2017, 11:52:36 AM »
I LOVE these guy's products, did a ton of night hunting for hogs back in Virginia!  Love the Kill Lights.

https://elusivewildlife.com/
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2017, 01:18:53 PM »
I've used a gun mounted Light Force light. They worked pretty well. Could see out 600 yards easy with no filter. They are an Austrailian maker of off-road lights.

For those of you with NV gear you should check out he BE Meyers MAUL. It has all the toys in one rail mounted package and they now have a civilian legal model... open up your wallet tho...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull