collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: deer mount, a bit different  (Read 9062 times)

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: deer mount, a bit different
« Reply #45 on: November 13, 2017, 01:41:56 PM »
Just proves all hunters are not the same. Nothing to be gained from this mount other then to create a freak show with the assistance of the useless taxidermist. For the taxidermist to have engaged in his part in creating this gory mount shows how willing and how far some will go to earn a buck in this desecration with total disregard for the deer who was sacrificed. Was he trying to imitate loser Kathy Griffin? Hopefully the fool taxidermist loses a lot of business over this and closes up shop. I know I would never give business to a clown like that. Hopefully the hunter has killed his last animal and spends the rest of his days haunted by the deer's spirit.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #46 on: November 14, 2017, 12:49:29 PM »
The mount was in Texas, where they couldn't give two squirts of horse piss what a bunch of libs up in Washington think  (I know a bunch of Texans, to them we're all liberals - except me, I'm cool)

*no, this would not be in my house*

Taxidermy is art, and I've seen far more offensive art than this (naked trump anyone?) "the kill" is a part of hunting and I think this is unique and depicts that aspect pretty well.  I won't criticize the taxidermy studio for this, the pic shows up a lot better on FB and I think it's pretty good really, for a one off.   It's not like a taxi gets a lot of requests to apply fake blood to their mounts so I'll cut them some slack if it isn't perfect, still pretty good though.

I highly doubt the owner of this unique mount has a lot of liberals in his house to sneer at it.

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
« Reply #47 on: November 14, 2017, 01:03:14 PM »
Wow, to each their own I guess.  Absolutely not my cup of tea, glass of beer, shot of bourbon, etc., etc.  Perhaps a skinned head, pieces of hair/flesh hanging off, zombie deer to follow this one up  :rolleyes:.  Wow.......

Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2017, 01:04:31 PM »
The mount was in Texas, where they couldn't give two squirts of horse piss what a bunch of libs up in Washington think  (I know a bunch of Texans, to them we're all liberals - except me, I'm cool)

*no, this would not be in my house*

Taxidermy is art, and I've seen far more offensive art than this (naked trump anyone?) "the kill" is a part of hunting and I think this is unique and depicts that aspect pretty well.  I won't criticize the taxidermy studio for this, the pic shows up a lot better on FB and I think it's pretty good really, for a one off.   It's not like a taxi gets a lot of requests to apply fake blood to their mounts so I'll cut them some slack if it isn't perfect, still pretty good though.

I highly doubt the owner of this unique mount has a lot of liberals in his house to sneer at it.

Well said.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2017, 01:09:43 PM »
Art is in the eye of the beholder!
There is tons of “art” I see that to me just plain sucks.
Would I do that for o my buck, not a chance in heck!
But, it is not my buck.

Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2017, 01:56:06 PM »
" The gore and the depiction of the animal in distress during a lingering death is what moves this from a traditional taxidermy honoring the animal to the distasteful celebration of its suffering. "..........

I Agree. Sickening mount ..
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2017, 02:47:22 PM »
funny thing about art, everyone in this thread is correct

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2017, 03:04:03 PM »
" The gore and the depiction of the animal in distress during a lingering death is what moves this from a traditional taxidermy honoring the animal to the distasteful celebration of its suffering. "..........

I Agree. Sickening mount ..

You see a distasteful celebration of a lingering death and suffering, the next guy might see a stark reminder that yes, we hunters do kill animals.

People see high fives, fist pumping, hushed congratulatory whispers, back slaps and hugs - but there's an animal dying in the woods while all that is going on.  This mount is a reminder of that.  Closing our eyes or sneering at this mount doesn't make that fact go away, ignoring the death part of hunting doesn't make it not happen.  So why not show it, talk about it, and use it to encourage clean quick kills so a deer doesn't have time to stop and lick its wounds.

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2017, 04:06:08 PM »
I see what you're saying KF, and it's well put - but regarding this mount as an abomination and accepting that as hunters we kill (and potentially cause the suffering depicted) are two completely different things.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 04:12:38 PM by Skillet »
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #54 on: November 14, 2017, 04:23:56 PM »
I have seen arrowhed deer stand there or wander off and then wobble and fall over, or go like their butt is on fire then pile up, but never do anything like stand around licking at a wound. 
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 04:36:47 PM by JDHasty »

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #55 on: November 14, 2017, 04:46:45 PM »
I see what you're saying KF, and it's well put - but regarding this mount as an abomination and accepting that as hunters we kill (and potentially cause the suffering depicted) are two completely different things.

Making a good quick clean kill is of utmost importance to me as a hunter. I've had bad shots (as has everyone) and had animals die a slow death by my hand. It was a sick to my stomach feeling that I wish to never have again. I had a blacktail buck I gut shot let me walk up to him close enough to put the muzzle of my rifle up to him and never run away. That's not a state I would wish to glorify in a mount as a celebration. I don't know anyone who would choose to celebrate their hunt that way.

If you want a reminder of the killing involved in hunting you get that just from a normal taxidermy mount. The animal in your home is dead. Honor it by displaying it in it's fullest glory not like this.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2017, 04:06:11 PM »
like I said I wouldn't ever have this in my house, but I'm glad someone out there made this mount so hunters who see it can have this conversation we're having.  There's too many guys like this out there.

Offline HighlandLofts

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: WAC,
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2017, 02:43:41 AM »
Great way to glorify the wrong parts of hunting... :rolleyes:

How is this "glorifying the wrong parts of Hunting"?  Not wanting to start a fight....just asking.  Couldn't the same statement be made for any mount????  Especially a trophy head / antler mount.  Hunting historically has been for sustenance.  It has evolved for some to "trophy hunting" which could be construed as "wrong....or purposeless killing for the sake of having big antlers to display" (I don't agree 100% but for argument sake).   

Though this mount is not for everyone.....it depicts an archery killed deer.  This is reality, deer get killed with arrows.  Deer bleed, deer lick wounds, deer die and some deer get mounted to be placed on display in peoples homes.  So as for "glorifying the wrong parts of hunting....."  I disagree whole heartedly.  Not for everyone....I definitely get.   Not for the internet....well to each their own.  Anti's are not fond of any mount so at which point are we going to stop catering to them?

This goes off in the direction of them taking down all of the statutes back east. When is it going to STOP?
WAC
NRA
Walk Light, Carry A Big Stick, Never Walk Away. - Teddy Roosevelt
Don't Take Your Guns To Town.   Johnny Cash

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]