collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: i may have bit of more than i can chew  (Read 2491 times)

Offline BDildine

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
    • https://www.facebook.com/brian.dildine
  • Groups: TSC,, NRA Life, RMEF, PF
i may have bit of more than i can chew
« on: November 11, 2017, 08:45:57 PM »
As some of you are aware, approx 4 months ago i picked up what i though would be my "dream dog". A purebred female GSP, affectionately named "Sadie".
I had dreams of grandeur, great manners, excellent hunter and all.
Fast forward 4 months, I've had several shortcomings, many of which I should've realized before I agreed to purchase her:
1) first medium/large dog
2)first hunting dog
3) our other dogs my wife got as rescues and came mostly trained.....
"I can figure it out...." man did I screw up
My schedule is weird hours and a lot of them (I'm gone from 1230-1 daily during week), so i can only spend time with her in the morning.....
My wife recently had surgery so long/strenuous workouts arent on the table for her.....
and the other large fact, I have a baby (who just turned 1), so a fair chunk of my morning goes to him also

I love Sadie to pieces, and dont wanna give her up for the world, especially partly due to the trip (fiasco) involved to get her (met in central MT), but I simply dont have the time do devote to working her out 2,3,4 times a day to keep her energy levels in check, so when the wife gets home, Sadie is just on hyperdrive, and sends the wife into overload....

I'm grasping at straws, really dont want to give her up, but at the same time, I hate to see her not be what she really could live up to......I dont have the kind of money laying around to take her to a "good" professional trainer, my lot is pretty decent sized, but not 100% fenced, and has some area/things that are hazards, so i dont let her roam free (she has a 15x25 kennel for outside and sleeps inside at night)

I feel like i'm writing a "dear abby/Hail Mary" letter, so i'm gonna cut this off here.....
suggestions/opinions......?
(and yes, i'm aware i'm out of my depth, so dont rake me too bad plz)

Offline follow maggie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
Re: i may have bit of more than i can chew
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 10:03:15 PM »
Take Sadie to a professional trainer. You'll drop her off & leave her for a month where she'll be trained every day by someone who knows what they're doing. There are a few good ones around. I used Doug Burnett @ Upland Dogs/Cooke Canyon Hunt Club in Ellensburg and have been very pleased with the results This was in 2008 &cost $850, if I remember right. It was worth every penny.

As far as the energy, GSP is a high energy dog, especially when they're young. They need to burn that energy off, so hopefully you have a fenced yard.

Offline Seahawk12

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 10:32:11 PM »
I hate to be "that guy" but, Unless you can afford to put her in a good training class (and maybe even if you can) you should seriously consider selling her to somebody that has the time to commit to her.
It may be the best option for both her and your young family. The time that she will continue to require is time you could spend with your little baby. You can always try again in a few years.
Best of luck.
"I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes."
William Tecumseh Sherman

Offline hollymaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 11:14:57 AM »
Find her a good home that has the time for her and wait a couple more years till your little one is walking and running, then get a pup

Offline BDildine

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
    • https://www.facebook.com/brian.dildine
  • Groups: TSC,, NRA Life, RMEF, PF
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 11:26:10 AM »
Thanks all for the input, my mind has since quit spinning, and I believe I’m now heading in a direction that will be beneficial for all parties.

Offline Colin

• Longhunter
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2017, 11:55:27 AM »
I feel for you man. Good on yah recognizing somethings gotta change. I myself have 2 rescues and a my first hunting dog (lab, 2.5 years old) and a 16 month old kid.

It's tough to make time for everything. Most days I'm running ragged. I wake up at 3am M-F. Work 8 to 12 hrs depending on the day. For a 45 to 50 hr work week. I try and train once during the week and hunt or train on Sat and sun.

Basically my life is a scheduled out and there is very little time for anything other than family, work, training and hunting.

My wife works as well so we alternate days picking up my daughter from daycare and mix my folks in a few times a week.

Basically I'm trying to say that it's possible to do it all but it's hard. Up to you to determine what kind of balance is worth it for your life and your family.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline constructeur

• Hunter
  • Groups: NAVHDA
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 04:11:38 PM »
Thanks all for the input, my mind has since quit spinning, and I believe I’m now heading in a direction that will be beneficial for all parties.

Sorry to hear things aren't going so well.

I'm not sure what the direction you are headed in is, but keep in mind a ring to your breeder may do you some good. They may have some advice, or be able to offer some help with rehoming. I know it was in my contract that if I gave my GSP up, the breeder legally was supposed to have first refusal.

I'll also suggest getting a duck coat, and swimming your dog as often as possible. It's been one of my secrets to burn down a young energetic dog in a healthy fashion.

If you are ready to move on giving Sadie up, give Scott at Sage Brush Gun Dogs in Ellensburg a ring. He also runs a shorthair rescue and should be able to help you find an appropriate home.

Best of luck!

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2017, 04:52:46 PM »
If I had a dog that didn't fit into my family, I would absolutely look at giving it to someone that was a better fit.  It would be better for the dog, my family and whoever ended up with it.  I would try to figure out if the situation was likely to change or it just didn't work out.

Offline freberd

• Tracker
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2017, 06:53:28 AM »
I hope you try the training option but always good to check with the breeder they may be of help and may have someone who could be a better fit

If no contract with breeder and they do not want to take back
check with breed specific rescues

Offline baker5150

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: Loser's Lounge - Lifetime Member
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2017, 07:45:29 AM »
I have gone thru the same situation with my GSP.  We were close to finding him a new home where he got more time to hunt and roam.  Finding time can be tough.  We recently started taking him to doggy day care at least twice a week.  I was hesitant at first, more so that he would pick up bad habits or be exposed to different training methods than he's used to.  We found a spectacular kennel that really focuses on his needs for excersize and keeping his mind and nose busy. When he comes home is wiped out tired, they even send pics of him playing and searching for sheds and wings in their field.  It's relatively in-expensive and we also board him there when we leave town and can't take him.
It's been a night and day difference. 

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2017, 09:18:04 AM »
Welcome to GSP ownership. You can count on "Sadie" maintaining that energy level until the day she dies. I am on GSP number 4 now over a period of forty plus years of GSP ownership. Off lease parks work as does walking them on a long lease where they can run twenty steps to every step you take. I swim mine in the local lakes on walks and that seems to take the edge off the high energy level. My latest is almost eleven years old and still going strong. She was sort of a rescue that went first thru two other families in her first year that could not handle the dog's energy level.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]