collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Need suggestions for decent mid price electronic coyote caller  (Read 2117 times)

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Need suggestions for decent mid price electronic coyote caller
« on: November 13, 2017, 01:32:23 PM »
There are so many models I'm getting a little lost. Don't want to pay 500 dollars on a call right now. Just looking for something decent that works for coyotes. Thanks

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
Re: Need suggestions for decent mid price electronic coyote caller
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 02:56:05 PM »
I see Foxpro units in the Bargain Cave all the time.  A FOXPRO Crossfire is probably better than my old FX5 and the FX5 is a pretty darn solid machine.

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 03:08:58 PM »
I see Foxpro units in the Bargain Cave all the time.  A FOXPRO Crossfire is probably better than my old FX5 and the FX5 is a pretty darn solid machine.
Thanks. With all the different models I wasn't sure if some were junk and others good or what. I'll look at the crossfire.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 03:20:03 PM »
Thanks. With all the different models I wasn't sure if some were junk and others good or what. I'll look at the crossfire.

There is a LOT of junk out there, our FX5 started life as a FX3 and was upgraded back when they used to do that sort of thing.  It has never been in the shop because it quit working, only for upgrades. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 04:08:39 PM by JDHasty »

Offline dmv9

• Past Sponsor
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2017, 03:38:40 PM »
What about the Foxpro wildfire 2?

Offline AWS

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2017, 03:46:22 PM »
In a Foxpro I'd say Banshee at $299 or the CS-24C at $399 are great mid priced calls.  Suggestion, I have a crossfire and it has the same remote as my old CS-24(original model) and I've had to send the remote in twice for repairs, there is a flaw in the design of the on/off swtch and dirt can get in it.  My Crossfire is just a backup call that I won.

For a compact call my go to call is a Minaska M-1 Bandit, in it's day it was a top of the line caller but it is old but still suported and availible.
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline biggfish

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 05:26:58 PM »
If the foxpro is out of reach look at ecotech they have petty good reviews I was going to buy one but my sister got me a foxpro fire Christmas last year.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 06:55:10 PM »
What about the Foxpro wildfire 2?
That was a model I looked at. I  just don't know much about electronic calls. Half the reviewers say it's great the other half say they aren't waterproof and don't work for coyote. Figured guys here would know what's what.

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 07:00:04 PM »
If the foxpro is out of reach look at ecotech they have petty good reviews I was going to buy one but my sister got me a foxpro fire Christmas last year.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk
I don't know if FoxPro is out of reach. A 500 dollar one is right now. But if a 200 dollar one works pretty good then I would do that for a couple seasons. I blew a few sets last year because I was fiddling with hand calls when critters came in. After the 2nd time i thought i should try an electronic call. Spent so much money on my hunts this year i need to take it easy on spending for awhile. Plus i have a hide at taxidermist i have to finish paying for. Anyway thats the long version haha

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 07:04:17 PM »
Thank u everyone for responses.

Offline AWS

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 11:45:32 PM »
As far as the Wildfire not working for coyotes, I'm sure it was 100% operator error, I don't think I've used a caller that won't call in a coyote.  The biggest part of calling coyotes is the stand selection and stand management.  Over the years I've used a battery powered phonograph(45 rpm records the original CD), Johnie Stewart cassette callers, JS chip callers, home made callers with both cassette and CD walkman players and old battery powered computer speakers, some of these made remote with vcr remote transmitters, Western Rivers callers, old FP's (38's none remote, 416, Spitefire, Crossfire, , CS-24) and Minaskas M-1's and Big Country  and  a few more that I don't remember as they were partners equipment.  All of them have called coyotes.

They are electronic gadgets and do break, good CS is one of the better features on new caller.
After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 06:35:03 AM »
As far as the Wildfire not working for coyotes, I'm sure it was 100% operator error, I don't think I've used a caller that won't call in a coyote.  The biggest part of calling coyotes is the stand selection and stand management.  Over the years I've used a battery powered phonograph(45 rpm records the original CD), Johnie Stewart cassette callers, JS chip callers, home made callers with both cassette and CD walkman players and old battery powered computer speakers, some of these made remote with vcr remote transmitters, Western Rivers callers, old FP's (38's none remote, 416, Spitefire, Crossfire, , CS-24) and Minaskas M-1's and Big Country  and  a few more that I don't remember as they were partners equipment.  All of them have called coyotes.

They are electronic gadgets and do break, good CS is one of the better features on new caller.
Thanks

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU