collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Trap Supply Business  (Read 1143 times)

Offline Trapper John

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: Life member of: WSTA, NTA, ITA, NRA also member of FTA, F4WM
Trap Supply Business
« on: November 13, 2017, 04:39:59 PM »

I was thinking about opening a small trap supply store over here on the west side since George Sovie past away.  There is only one left around (Ted Cantrell) and he is over in Moxee (central WA) and doesn't get much work from it.   I always think there are more Fur Trappers and WCO's on this side of the mountain that might use could use it.  Just wondering if its worth it?  What do you guys think?  Is there any interest?  Could you or would you support a small Trap Supply Business over here on the West Side?
JC

Offline Lingcod

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
  • Friends don't let friends eat farmed Salmon
Re: Trap Supply Business
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 04:57:01 PM »
When I took my trapper test years ago, most the guys there taking the test worked for different pest control businesses. Not sure where they get their supplies, but worth reaching out to a few of them to get their input as well.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 05:13:49 PM by Lingcod »
“Always do what is right. It will gratify half of mankind and astound the other.”

Offline GBoyd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 07:51:27 PM »
I'm south of you and trap on a pretty small scale: only targeting beaver and a maximum of about 12 sets at any one time. There's no stores to buy trapping supplies anywhere near me and I've gotten used to buying online. If a store opened up within a half hour of me, I honestly doubt that it would be worth it to me to drive over there to buy versus continuing to buy online.

What I could use locally would be training and mentorship. I'd definitely be willing to pay if somebody in my neighborhood would to charge something reasonable to take a morning to look at my sets and critique my work. Youtube is great, but it's hard when that's your only teacher.

I don't really trap to sell fur, but I don't like to throw away good fur and don't have any options to sell. So I'd also be interested in a spot to sell locally, even if the prices were very low. I basically just want to offload the fur quickly and easily. So far for me that's meant giving it away to people who then take it to a taxidermist.

Hope that helps. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Offline sivart33

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2017, 08:04:24 PM »
I'm south of you and trap on a pretty small scale: only targeting beaver and a maximum of about 12 sets at any one time. There's no stores to buy trapping supplies anywhere near me and I've gotten used to buying online. If a store opened up within a half hour of me, I honestly doubt that it would be worth it to me to drive over there to buy versus continuing to buy online.

What I could use locally would be training and mentorship. I'd definitely be willing to pay if somebody in my neighborhood would to charge something reasonable to take a morning to look at my sets and critique my work. Youtube is great, but it's hard when that's your only teacher.

I don't really trap to sell fur, but I don't like to throw away good fur and don't have any options to sell. So I'd also be interested in a spot to sell locally, even if the prices were very low. I basically just want to offload the fur quickly and easily. So far for me that's meant giving it away to people who then take it to a taxidermist.

Hope that helps. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

This exactly.  Same boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal