collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Major wdfw overhaul  (Read 36711 times)

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
Re: Major wdfw overhaul
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 09:03:47 PM »
Just like those other lib states like Idaho and Wyoming that are seeing low deer numbers due to wolves and poor management right?

Idaho and Wyoming are both conservative states. ;)
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline Mtnwalker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2017, 09:06:30 PM »
Just like those other lib states like Idaho and Wyoming that are seeing low deer numbers due to wolves and poor management right?  I have had cams in three units the last few years n there’s always shooter bucks on there. Less this year as to be expected with the winter we had. I’ve only been hunting 7 years and have harvested a deer every year but my first. I can’t say any year was easier or harder then any other.

Sometimes the merry go round never ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No offense but if you've only been hunting for 7 years I don't think you have any first-hand historical knowledge of washington deer to draw a comparison to. Getting a couple shooter bucks on your trail cam is in no way an indication of a flourishing deer herd
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 09:13:01 PM by Mtnwalker »

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 09:10:36 PM »
Find someone with money and put an initiative on the ballot.  It shouldn't be too tough in this state to convince a few other people to curtail hunting for X years in a particular unit or units.
Initiative for what exactly?
Whatever the OP wants to happen.
Initiatives change laws. What laws would be changed?

Whatever law you want changed or introduced.  An initiative could direct WDFW to do just about anything.  Close a unit, change tags, take into account something, change license prices, whatever you feel prudent, can fund and get people to vote for.

The legislature does not often get involved in micromanagement, but there is nothing preventing either them or the general public from introducing legislation to achieve a goal.

Say you think the herd in GMU X is beaten down and needs a rest, put an initiative forth to direct WDFW to curtail or prevent hunting for a period of time.  Or, attend meetings and write letters, whatever you think has the best chance of success.

The OP asked about a major overhaul, to me that sounds like more than meetings.  I have no stance on the topic, just observant of the way the system works these days.

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 09:13:53 PM »
Find someone with money and put an initiative on the ballot.  It shouldn't be too tough in this state to convince a few other people to curtail hunting for X years in a particular unit or units.

Whatever law you want changed or introduced.  An initiative could direct WDFW to do just about anything.  Close a unit, change tags, take into account something, change license prices, whatever you feel prudent, can fund and get people to vote for.

The legislature does not often get involved in micromanagement, but there is nothing preventing either them or the general public from introducing legislation to achieve a goal.

Say you think the herd in GMU X is beaten down and needs a rest, put an initiative forth to direct WDFW to curtail or prevent hunting for a period of time.  Or, attend meetings and write letters, whatever you think has the best chance of success.

The OP asked about a major overhaul, to me that sounds like more than meetings.  I have no stance on the topic, just observant of the way the system works these days.
Closing areas via an initiative would be a huge mistake. You'd probably have no problem closing the unit (you'd have anti's on your side). But good luck getting that unit ever opened again (now the anti's would be against you). Plus I wouldn't want to set that precedent.

Want a unit closed? Petition the commission.

Online bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 09:14:51 PM »
Its like some of us have said, "something needs to be done" its hard to get things done going the political route in this state as phool said. Now, a boycott?...HMMMMMM?

Offline olyguy79

• Scout
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 09:16:07 PM »

Closing areas via an initiative would be a huge mistake. You'd probably have no problem closing the unit (you'd have anti's on your side). But good luck getting that unit ever opened again (now the anti's would be against you). Plus I wouldn't want to set that precedent.

Want a unit closed? Petition the commission.
:yeah:
You might as well kiss hunting good bye if you want to close/open units by voter initiative.

How's getting cougar hound hunting and bear baiting back open working for us? Been what 20 years?

Online bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 09:18:11 PM »
Just like those other lib states like Idaho and Wyoming that are seeing low deer numbers due to wolves and poor management right?  I have had cams in three units the last few years n there’s always shooter bucks on there. Less this year as to be expected with the winter we had. I’ve only been hunting 7 years and have harvested a deer every year but my first. I can’t say any year was easier or harder then any other.

No offense but if you've only been hunting for 7 years I don't think you have any first-hand historical knowledge of washington deer to draw a comparison to. Getting a couple shooter bucks on your trail cam is in no way an indication of a flourishing deer herd

Good post Mtnwalker. No offense also to eliandsky.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2017, 09:20:53 PM »
we need numerous initiatives to fix it

1) divorce WDFW enforcement from WSP (bring back professional game wardens)

2) send hunting revenue back to wildlife management instead of general state fund

3) make hunting a constitutional right, not a privilege

4?

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2017, 09:24:19 PM »

2) send hunting revenue back to wildlife management instead of general state fund
1- WDFW Enforcement has never been apart of WSP, that merger effort has failed every time
2- All fishing and hunting license revenue goes to the wildlife fund. Been that way for almost 10 years. Nothing goes into the general fund anymore

Offline olyguy79

• Scout
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2017, 09:26:13 PM »

1- WDFW Enforcement has never been apart of WSP, that merger effort has failed every time
2- All fishing and hunting license revenue goes to the wildlife fund. Been that way for almost 10 years. Nothing goes into the general fund anymore
:yeah:

Hunting license fees have always gone to the wildlife fund. Fishing fees historically went to the general fund, and since the merger in 1994 they have slowly been diverting more to the wildlife fund. But as Bigtex pointed out, about 10 years ago the legislature directed all fees to the wildlife fund.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2017, 09:26:56 PM »
 One major issue is hunters are split into those that want to manage for quantity and those that want to manage for quality.

There are far too many squeaky wheels that no matter how hard the herds get hit, how low the numbers go, they absolutely insist on being able to buy a tag and hunt every year.......... and everyone else be damned!

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,219302.msg2917219.html#msg2917219
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2017, 09:28:08 PM »

If I dig deep enough into one of my three freezers, I might find a package of meat older than how long you have been hunting.    :chuckle:
I’m not trying to be a jerk.  I’ve just been at this a long time and have made more than just a few observations over that time. :).

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2017, 09:30:24 PM »
Its like some of us have said, "something needs to be done" its hard to get things done going the political route in this state as phool said. Now, a boycott?...HMMMMMM?
Time for me to offend people.

Who do you think the commission will listen to more, a wildlife biologist or a group of redneck hunters (I'm one too) who can't put a paragraph together? Obviously it's the bio. When I see the things that are submitted during the season setting process I shake my head. Some of the suggestions don't even look like they're written in English. Us hunters go and complain and basically say "well hunting sucks and there's less deer" but we don't have actual data to back it up most of the time. So it's the word of a hunter vs a professional biologist, and I wonder why the commission goes with the biologist.

Fishing groups have biologists who work for them and go to bat for them in the reg changing process. Doesn't seem like the hunting side has that, or they're not very successful. Want things to change? Get facts, not just John Doe's opinion on what's going on in the hills.

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2017, 09:31:36 PM »
One major issue is hunters are split into those that want to manage for quantity and those that want to manage for quality.

There are far too many squeaky wheels that no matter how hard the herds get hit, how low the numbers go, they absolutely insist on being able to buy a tag and hunt every year.......... and everyone else be damned!

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,219302.msg2917219.html#msg2917219
Or those who just care about "their" season. It's the old archery vs. rifle vs. muzzleloader screw each other drama.

Offline Mtnwalker

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2017, 09:33:08 PM »
I personally believe a big hit to their pocketbook is the only thing that will open their eyes. I would have no problem holding on to the $200 plus that I typically fork over for one year, if only I could convince about 10,000 other guys to do the same..

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]