collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Sherriff and ODFW disagree on wolf kills  (Read 3530 times)

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
Re: Sherriff and ODFW disagree on wolf kills
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 09:07:32 AM »
I'm quite familiar with the cooperation between the different LEOs. I just wasn't aware that OR state mandated the cooperation that they do.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 09:23:43 AM »
I'm quite familiar with the cooperation between the different LEOs. I just wasn't aware that OR state mandated the cooperation that they do.
They aren't mandated to do so. A sheriff can say he isn't going to work with a federal agency. But the federal LEOs can still exercise state law enforcement authority. In WA the sheriff could revoke the state authority since it is granted by the sheriff. In OR the authority is granted via state statute.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Offline pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2017, 09:25:26 AM »
Right. I got the distinction.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2017, 09:56:42 AM »
Lack of premortem hemorrhaging on cattle pretty definitively rules out wolf attack.  Wolves kill large prey by crushing muscle with strong jaws and relatively dull teeth; actual wolf kills without feeding are often missed due to the absence of punctures in the hide, but when skinned the extensive muscle trauma is very apparent.  (The included photo is 19 elk killed on a Wyoming feed ground.  Note that although all 19 were killed by wolves and dragged to the location on snow with snowmobiles, there is almost no bleeding.)

No other wild large carnivore in the PNW kills this way, and as long as the carcass is fresh a wolf/not wolf determination can be made even without determining the "other" causes. 

If there are good quality photographs of the skinned carcasses - which there certainly should be - experienced depredation investigators would be able to determine whether or not it is a wolf kill, so this is not necessarily an ODFW/Sheriff impasse.  My guess is that government employees at either state or county level, in a state that has had very little experience with wolf depredation, probably aren't very experienced and are both learning on the job.  Many biologists have relatively little experience with conducting necropsies and investigating a suspected wolf kill is likely a first time experience - they followed the instructions, but how confident are they in the conclusions?   I do find the sheriff's adamant certitude more political than professional.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline PA BEN

• LINEMAN
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2017, 12:03:19 PM »
Stevens Country Sheriff accused WDFW of the same thing when their trained Deputies confirmed wolf kills. This was to their face at a wolf meeting in Colville a few years back.

Offline HighlandLofts

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: WAC,
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 09:13:23 PM »
It's bad enough the deer, elk & other wild life are killed by cougars, coyotes, bears and other stuff, now they are being depleted by wolves.

Shoot/Shove & Shut Up.
WAC
NRA
Walk Light, Carry A Big Stick, Never Walk Away. - Teddy Roosevelt
Don't Take Your Guns To Town.   Johnny Cash

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87