collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Elk area 4601 / beginning elk hunting advice  (Read 3046 times)

Offline Satyarain

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
    • Satya Advani
  • Groups: Bainbridge Island Fly Fishers
Elk area 4601 / beginning elk hunting advice
« on: November 18, 2017, 10:40:41 PM »
I have a buddy who was planning on heading out to north bend (4601) to hunt with me this coming weekend, but plans fell through for him. He was the one with a little knowledge of the land, and I was the one with the shooting skills.
Anyway, I am hoping to head out here regardless, and am in need of some knowledge in terms of where to start. If you have information about that land specifically (accessed through Campbell Global's gate 10 or 11), or just have tactics that I might employ, please let me know. If someone would like to come with and mentor a young hunter, I'd be interested. Additionally, I'd like to point out that I understand that undertaking an elk hunt is no small matter, and should I head out there, I will be prepared.
Thanks for reading and I hope everyone is having a good season so far.
Satya

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Dan-o

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Explorer
Re: Elk area 4601 / beginning elk hunting advice
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 11:03:51 PM »
Sorry I can't help with 4601, but good luck.
(bump)
Member:   Yakstrakgutp (or whatever we are)
I love the BFRO!!!
I wonder how many people will touch their nose to their screen trying to read this...

Offline SniperDanWA

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, WFW
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 07:14:42 AM »
It’s been too long since I hunted that unit to give you great advice, sorry.  My son and I came in from the miles and then walked in about the same.  There were critters, but we didn’t see any elk.  Good luck to you.  Remember to be quiet, if you get into them check the wind so it’s in your favor, and stop to listen, assess, etc. fairly often.
"We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as
impossible." - Vince Lombardi

Offline usmc74

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA (Life), RMEF, SAF (Life), American Legion (Life), Master Hunter
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 08:13:00 AM »
Are those gates even in the 4601 unit?  It is much smaller than the full 460 unit.  There is LOTS of private property, but if you look, there is some pretty good areas that are public.  Stay out of any land that is listed as King County.  The consider all that land as a park.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 08:21:54 AM »
Are you planning on walking in from the gates or did you buy the pass?

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2017, 08:29:48 AM »
I have a buddy who was planning on heading out to north bend (4601) to hunt with me this coming weekend, but plans fell through for him. He was the one with a little knowledge of the land, and I was the one with the shooting skills.
Anyway, I am hoping to head out here regardless, and am in need of some knowledge in terms of where to start. If you have information about that land specifically (accessed through Campbell Global's gate 10 or 11), or just have tactics that I might employ, please let me know. If someone would like to come with and mentor a young hunter, I'd be interested. Additionally, I'd like to point out that I understand that undertaking an elk hunt is no small matter, and should I head out there, I will be prepared.
Satya

The Campbell land you mentioned is NOT in 4601. 4601 is all lowland land, mostly farmland.

Offline usmc74

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA (Life), RMEF, SAF (Life), American Legion (Life), Master Hunter
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2017, 08:37:35 AM »
Go to the WDFW web site and go to the GoHunt mapping app.  Search for 4601, and check out the boundaries

http://apps.wdfw.wa.gov/gohunt/app.html?theme=bigGame

Offline Satyarain

• Pilgrim
    • Satya Advani
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2017, 09:06:58 AM »
Are you planning on walking in from the gates or did you buy the pass?

I was planning on walking in. They have a $50 non motorized pass

Offline Satyarain

• Pilgrim
    • Satya Advani
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2017, 09:29:10 AM »
Satya

The Campbell land you mentioned is NOT in 4601. 4601 is all lowland land, mostly farmland.
Thank you! I was lead to believe it was, because my friend said he hunted 4601 a few years ago when the land was in the hands of Hancock Forest Management. Do you know if ANY of the CG land is 4601? It looks like the rest of 460 is a no-go for elk...

Offline bigtex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2017, 09:35:05 AM »
Satya

Thank you! I was lead to believe it was, because my friend said he hunted 4601 a few years ago when the land was in the hands of Hancock Forest Management. Do you know if ANY of the CG land is 4601? It looks like the rest of 460 is a no-go for elk...
I don't think 4601 has ever covered that area, even when it was under Hancock. There is no CG land in 4601.

If you want a successful hunt in 4601 you more than likely will have to hunt on a farmers property.

Offline E35alex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2017, 09:44:37 AM »
Found out that you need to start knocking on doors in the spring. Building relationships. Then you might get a chance to hunt on their property. 4601 is pretty much all private land with a few small parcels that are public.

Good luck!

The closer I get to nature, the farther I am from idiots.

Offline Satyarain

• Pilgrim
    • Satya Advani
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2017, 09:52:40 AM »
Satya

I don't think 4601 has ever covered that area, even when it was under Hancock. There is no CG land in 4601.

If you want a successful hunt in 4601 you more than likely will have to hunt on a farmers property.
Interesting... I'll have to interrogate my friend a bit more
Thanks for all the help

Offline Satyarain

• Pilgrim
    • Satya Advani
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2017, 09:53:26 AM »
Found out that you need to start knocking on doors in the spring. Building relationships. Then you might get a chance to hunt on their property. 4601 is pretty much all private land with a few small parcels that are public.

Good luck!

Sounds about right, thanks!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]