collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Delorme In reach inreach experience?  (Read 3841 times)

Offline mtn.goat

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Tracker
Delorme In reach inreach experience?
« on: November 19, 2017, 08:51:06 PM »
Just learned that this option existed.  Anyone have experience with them, good or bad, great etc.?  Thank you in advance!

Offline sumpnz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Delorme In reach inreach experience?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 09:16:11 PM »
They're Garmin now.

Otherwise, tagging to follow.

All I know is that it's 2-way satellite text messaging.  From all I've seen it's an upgrade vs SPOT, and with the ability to turn the service on and off on a monthly basis, could be cheaper in the long run.

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 09:20:09 PM »
Do a search, multiple topics on this.

Delorme/Garmin can be used as "freedom" plan so can turn service on and off when you need it.   Gives ability to text, as well as SOS feature.  And reasonable annual SOS and Medivac insurance contracts as options with the service (worth it). 

I solo hunt a lot, and the DeLorme is worth it.  Even when others join me, it's still nice to contact the wife when needed.   Or my business partners who keep an eye on my business when I'm hunting.   DeLorme is pretty much an indispensable part of my hunting kit. 

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 10:23:31 PM »
I sometimes have to scout deep solo outa state - if I twist or break a leg in there I sure better have my In Reach with me.   

The best part is u can use your phone to type with as it pairs with the unit via bluetooth.   

Offline JoeE

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2017, 11:51:21 PM »
I have one. It works well and serves the purpose it’s needed for. If you download the app you can pair it with your phone via blue tooth and it’s easier to text from. It works just fine by itself without pairing to a phone though.

Offline zwickeyman

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 05:53:08 AM »
I have solo hunted out of cell reach my entire life. My wife bought me one 4 years ago and I honestly don't hunt with out it. Out of cell service for 8 days on a hunt this year with a couple buddies. Text my wife every night and she text my buddies wives. Works great
The mountains are calling and I must go

Offline go4steelhd

• Sourdough
  • MT Wild Sheep Foundation Life Time Member
  • Groups: go4steelhd
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 06:49:45 AM »
I used one in Alaska this year. The pilot had it set up we’re is would text his phone. About 1/4 of the messages came about 6or7 hours after they were sent. He flew in one day and could not land because weather had changed. Also when he. Amen to pick us up we did not known he was coming until he landed. We had it set to check very 10 minuets for messages. I think this issue was with the cell carrier. Even with the issues I will by one. If you break a leg, I feel the message will get out at some point. That’s better than dieing. I have used a sat phone on back pack hunts in the past. Never had to make a call yet. It only takes once.
NW__HUNTER Instagram

Offline RB

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 07:16:59 AM »
Bought one last year for a hunt and really like it. I switched to the lowest plan ($17  Month) and get 10 text and SOS capabilities monthly, use it when I get to areas of spotty cel service especially when I take the Boy Scouts on hikes. Worth every penny and easy to use.  :twocents:
IAFF #3728

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 07:19:37 AM »
I've used one for the last two years up and down the west coast.  The higher latitudes do have a longer average delay time, I've experienced that over and over - especially when communicating with another inReach.  A trick we've worked out to force the messages through - if you get to the point you're thinking "I should have gotten a reply by now," send another message. Even a test message to your own inReach number.  Uploading a message will always initiate a download of any messages caught up in a delay.

I can't comment on battery life as mine is always plugged in, but the Bluetooth pairing to your smart phone is what makes this a useful service.  Without pairing, it would be a real pia, even for infrequent use, imho.  I send and recieve around a thousand messages over a summer; it has become an absolutely essential part of my communication strategy offshore.

:twocents:
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline High Climber

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 08:07:34 AM »
Bought one last year for a hunt and really like it. I switched to the lowest plan ($17  Month) and get 10 text and SOS capabilities monthly, use it when I get to areas of spotty cel service especially when I take the Boy Scouts on hikes. Worth every penny and easy to use.  :twocents:
I have the same plan and keep it active all year, like everyone else has said, it ain’t perfect but it’s relatively cheap and a nice security blanket. My battery will last for probably 3-4 days if it’s on the whole time.

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 08:16:13 AM »
The InReach is the best wilderness communications advance in my old lifetime.  I have used sat phones and own a SPOT and the InReach surpasses either.  I have the early original, and cannot comment on the new Garmin versions, but assume that they add more bells and whistles at considerably more money.

For those unaware of how it works, it sends a text message directly to a satellite.  No cell coverage needed.     The clunky little keyboard allows you to compose a message rather than being limited to pre-set messages.  It also has a single emergency button that calls 911, with a lock on it that keeps me from sending an SOS accidentally.  With each outgoing message it sends the precise location from which the message was sent, including a mark on a satellite view of earth.  The mark has usually been within 6 feet IME, though one time from inside an office building it was 40 feet off.

I've had my InReach at least four years.  I have the minimum plan and carry it ALWAYS.  It has worked in deep east-west canyons in the North Cascades, under forest canopy with a foot of snow on the trees.  It is a little slower that way but has always sent and received.  From inside buildings, it marks a spot on the roof above where I was sitting when I sent a message.

I have used mine in the N. Cascades, Olympics, Yukon/BC border country, Canadian Rockies, northern Saskatchewan, Wyoming, Pennsylvania, Chesapeake Bay Bridge...

The ability to compose a message is invaluable.  On a backpack hunt in the N. Cascades when I went in early to set up camp, I messaged my son that I was camped a couple of miles from where we had planned, and to bring an item I'd forgotten.  On a grandson's bear down, a friend used his GPS to walk straight to us based on an InReach message I sent him.  That was half a mile through heavy timber and brush.  I messaged my wife that I decided to stay overnight rather than come home as planned.  She would have sent SAR after me otherwise.

I keep it turned off except to send and check messages, don't use the tracking feature, and a charge will last well over a week that way.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 09:14:23 AM »
Yea the keyboard is a pain - just use it with your phone soooooo much easier.  Plus then it can use your contacts and even send emoji's if you are into that.   Can leave it in top of your pack on for 3 to 4 days and just use your phone to txt and receive with before recharging it. 

Just remember to turn off the gps when texting your buddies that you got a BBD or they get a gps map of your honeyhole !

You can still get the DeLorme pre-Garmin takeover version which is a lot less then the garmin branded versions for same thing.

https://www.amazon.com/DeLorme-inReach-SE-Satellite-Tracker/dp/B00BX7TJ2O
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 09:29:53 AM by Magnum_Willys »

Offline yakimanoob

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 03:14:34 PM »
I have the SPOT, and they just dramatically increased the membership fee -- it's now $200 annually.  Given all the extra benefits of the InReach and Iridium network, I definitely would prefer to have that.  Quick looks online though, and I gotta say the Garmin-branded units look like they're worth the extra money, but that's just IMHO. 

I don't have the cash for an InReach right at this moment, but as soon as I do, the SPOT goes the way of the dinosaurs, as they say. 

Offline Wanttohuntmore

• Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 04:54:18 PM »
I'm right there with you Yakimanoob, Spot basically doubled their price, so the inreach looks better.   So it does two way texting?  Can i text my buddy that has one with mine?

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 05:15:51 PM »
Anybody have an opinion on the Delorme vs. Garmin versions?  Looks like you can still get the Delorme model for quite a bit cheaper than the Garmin:

https://www.amazon.com/DeLorme-inReach-SE-Satellite-Tracker/dp/B00BX7TJ2O

vs.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MY03CZP/ref=sspa_dk_detail_0?psc=1

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter